Carb Cycling

before i get my head chopped off for asking this question, pls be aware ive read both rousell’s and thib’s articles and many forum posts about this already. my question is this:

since in the codex the low day calls for 200g/day, which to me would be very high seeing as i’ve been very low carb (<35 g/day) for the past five months, i was wondering if the following would be a good way to at least start cycling back in:

during my workout, half serv of Surge + 5g glutamine, after workout half serv of Surge (one scoop) + 24g wpi, 5 g creatine? the rest of the day would be higher fat/protein?

just a little lost in the sense that i dont want to gain too much fat while i build muscle.

There are many ways to carb cycle. IMO having only 50 grams of CHO (+ trace CHO’s) on a training day, while in a mass phase is too little. 200 may seem high to you, but you’re trying to build muscle here, not cut fat. If anything have a 50 gram day on an off day when your not training. Just my 2 cents.

thanks for the response. my only worry is that, as Berardi and other people have said frequently, coming off a keto diet means that my insulin sensitivity will be much lower, and therefore more likely to put fat on more quickly. is there anything i can do to minimize this, or is there a stage process i should do in approaching this?

seems like insulin sensitivity is the holy grail…

The Getting UNshredded Diet by Berardi kinda lays out the process for adding carbs back into your diet. It basically adds small amounts of carbs weekly into your diet, until you’re where you need to be. I agree, insulin management is important for body compisition.

At least you’re aware that your sensitivity may be an issue. When my carbs have been low for a while, I start adding in small amounts each week for a while, usually from only good cources (a few bowls of oatmeal each day). Also keep in mind that Carbs can store about 4x their weight in water, so you can feel (or see) some bloating, which may freak you out a bit.

S

If you have been on a low carb diet for some time ot would be wise to titrate your carb intake up over a few weeks. Lay out a strategy for yourself to do this and then tweak as neccessary as you progress.

Intitally, add some back in during the post workout period, whole food sources I find are best to include at first. Gradually increase carbs during the PW period, then begin to add some at breakfast, during training etc as necessary.

What I like to reommend is to decrease fat intake as carbs increase, then once a base level of carbs have been established, slowly reintroduce fats too, if required. Be sure to maintain a decent level of fish oil throughout though.

And yeah, at first you will likely experience an exagerated insulin respone. To combat this keep fibre high, legumes, beans etc are great first choice carbs for this, consider supplementing with stuff like R-ALA, and, increase your activity levels. Maintaining high activity levels will help improve insulin sensitivity, control water retention, which you should expect to experience at first.

thanks guys great info… my plan was initially to start with Surge during and post workout on my workout days only, and keeping that for two weeks or so. would this be a good method even though it’s not a constant influx of carbs, just 4-5 days a week? after this i plan to have a carb meal (ex. sweet potatoes) after my pwo shake. i would think i’d give it about three weeks before adding the post workout meal.

in terms of the bloating believe me it’s already freaking me out but i know it is what it is. what kind of activity would be recommended other than lifting? incline treadmill for 30 mins 3x a week?

i’ve heard mixed reviews on r-ala, vanadium, and chromium. do you guys feel they are worth it?

once again really appreciated

You could start with Surge. From my own experience, and having worked with a few others though too, was that initially following severe carb restriction the high GL of sugary carbs, even peri workout, wasnt great. Hence the whole food recommendation. However, like anything, you may be different. Try the Surge and see if it works for you.

Secondly, just start with any activity. Something like incline walking would be fine. You dont have to start hammering the intervals or anything.

I actually think that a high quality R-ALA is a pretty good supplement. Cinnamon, fenugreek can be useful too. Receptormax contains extracted ingredients from these foods so if you had the cash to spare you could try it.

Be careful of your energy intake though at first. People often reintroduce significant amounts of carbs into the diet without thinking about proteins and fats - and then assume that any weight gain they experience is simply down to the consumption of them without considering that they have added 3-400 kcals or more to their diet.

Keep water high then after a couple of weeks you will find that any fluid problems will settle.

[quote]jzl1388 wrote:
thanks guys great info… my plan was initially to start with Surge during and post workout on my workout days only, and keeping that for two weeks or so. would this be a good method even though it’s not a constant influx of carbs, just 4-5 days a week? after this i plan to have a carb meal (ex. sweet potatoes) after my pwo shake. i would think i’d give it about three weeks before adding the post workout meal.

in terms of the bloating believe me it’s already freaking me out but i know it is what it is. what kind of activity would be recommended other than lifting? incline treadmill for 30 mins 3x a week?

i’ve heard mixed reviews on r-ala, vanadium, and chromium. do you guys feel they are worth it?

once again really appreciated[/quote]