Carb Cycling with 2-A-Days

Hey Guys,

I’ve been experiencing a ton of strength gains, but I want to start dropping some fat to get down to a more comfortable weight class for BJJ. Currently I am 5’ 10’', 210 lbs at about 15% BF. Hypertrophy isn’t a high priority-my goal is to get my weight down while still maintaining strength and conditioning.

I’m currently looking at carb cycling on my “off” days to increase fat loss. Currently I run a 3x (MWF) a week full body split of 5/3/1 in the AM, and then do BJJ at night M-F. Saturday I do a long run for conditioning, and also usually have a cheat meal that night.

My current diet is 3 meals a day of 75 g carbs (oats, brown rice, or sweet potatoes), 50 g protein (eggs, chicken, steak or fish) and then either fruit or veggies to get me to 750 calories. I also have a snack (30 g protein, 50 g carbs) of plain greek yogurt and granola before my BJJ class. After every workout, I drink a protein shake with 25 g protein on my way home. It adds up to roughly 3000 calories a day. Before my AM workout, I eat an apple just to get something in my stomach, and before my first big meal of the day, I take 5g of creatine.

My plan is to drop the carbs out of the big meals so its just protein and fruit/veggies on my days where I don’t lift. I’ll keep the granola in the yogurt since its just prior my BJJ class, which includes a lot of high intensity sparring. This will cut out roughly 1000 calories a day of carbs, and I may include an extra protein shake in the morning to make up for the little bit of protein I lose from not eating the rice and oats.

So my weekly schedule would look like

Monday- AM Lift and PM BJJ- High Carb Day
Tuesday- PM BJJ- Low Carb (100 g carbs)
Wednesday- AM Lift and PM BJJ- High Carb Day
Thursday- PM BJJ- Low Carb (100 g carbs)
Friday- AM Lift and PM BJJ- High Carb Day
Saturday- Long Run-High Carb Day and cheat meal
Sunday-Rest Day- Low Carb Day

TL/DR

1. Looking to lose fat with 3 days/week lifting, 5 days week BJJ
  2. On days with lifting (2 sessions), 3000 calories and high carb
  3. On days with no lifting, 2000 with 100g carbs
  4. 1 cheat meal a week

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Think it looks pretty solid but one question,

You have 3 meals a day of 75 g Carbs & 50 g of protein, which is around 500 kcal (75+50 = 125, 125 x 4 = 500)

Then you consume another 250 in the form of fruit & veg inorder to hit 750 kcals?

If you are precisely calculating and hitting your macro’s, that will be around 60 g of sugar, x3 a day

That might be considered too much fructose by some, i’m sure some one else will chime in as well.

Well actually just realised there should be some sort of fat in those 3 meals, even if you dont add by yourself, brown rice, eggs and the steak should

Interesting, in terms of nutrition, i never had the best results when i was splitting hairs :slight_smile:

[quote]outlaws wrote:
Think it looks pretty solid but one question,

You have 3 meals a day of 75 g Carbs & 50 g of protein, which is around 500 kcal (75+50 = 125, 125 x 4 = 500)

Then you consume another 250 in the form of fruit & veg inorder to hit 750 kcals?

If you are precisely calculating and hitting your macro’s, that will be around 60 g of sugar, x3 a day

That might be considered too much fructose by some, i’m sure some one else will chime in as well.
[/quote]

Some of that is fat too- the extra cals come from avocados at lunch, and fat from whole eggs in the morning for example. But I’ve always done well performance wise with a lot of fruit in my diet. I don’t have a scale so I can’t be super strict for most of my macro’s but I am when I can (measuring rice/oats, for example).

My exact diet, if it helps, is

Breakfast- eggs, oats, an orange.
Lunch- chicken breast, rice, salad with avocado and light dressing
Dinner- steak or tilapia, sweet potatoes, and mixed veggies.

and then the yogurt, granola, apple, and protein shakes around workouts.

EDIT: Whoops didn’t see your second response. Yeah I wasn’t including fat in the meals, and I’m more a fan of clean eating then splitting hairs as well, but I figured including my relative macros would be helpful for the feedback.