T Nation

Carb Cycling Questions.

1) I understand the difference between carb cycling, low-carb, and ketogenic diets.

HOW WOULD YOU DETERMINE WHICH ONE IS THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU? IS IT MAINLY A PSYCHOLOGICAL THING AS TO WHAT YOU CAN STICK WITH, OR DOES IT DEPEND ON HOW MUCH FAT AND MUSCLE YOU HAVE?

2) Ive seen two different methods of carb cycling.

Method 1: You have you have your High, Moderate, and Low carb days. They are exactly as they sound, and you are basically cycling carbs/calories throughout the week. Your hardest workouts occur on the high days.

Method 2: Method two is almost exactly the same, but your "carb-ups" are not necessarily the full day. Instead your hardest workouts are performed in a depleted state, and then the carb-up begins after the workout is concluded, and lasts anywhere from 3-36 hours.

SO THE MAIN QUESTION IS; DO YOU WANT TO BEGIN YOUR HIGH CARB DAY UPON WAKING OR POST WORKOUT? This makes a difference for me, because I workout at 6pm.

1. A further extension of #2. If you are going to wait until post workout to begin your high carb, would it be beneficial or detrimental, to include carbs 1-2 hours pre workout, or during the workout? Or would something like whey/casein suffice?

4) Those are my questions, and here is my general understanding of the concepts. Please tell me if this is for the most part correct.

Its mainly trial and error and you have to make small changes until you start progressing. But, in general, the more fat you have to lose, and the more muscle you can spare to lose, then you may benefit more from some form of ketogenic diet, or carb cycling with less high carb days.

ex: High, med, low, low, med, low, repeat.

And if you dont have a lot to lose, or are trying to build muscle, then you'll likely have a higher workout frequency, and require more high carb days.

ex: High, med, low, High, med, low..........

As far as macronutrient breakdown. If you are cutting carbs, you need to bump up the protein pretty high (until you enter ketosis) at which point you can lower protein, and bump up fat.

If you are carb cycling, you wont be entering ketosis, so any moderate to low carb day should be high in protein, moderate-low fat, and moderate-low carbs. High carb days can be high in carbs, moderate protein, and very low in fat.

Is this general understanding close enough, and I now just need to use trial and error?

***Right now im trying to lose fat, and am training M,W,F. My cycling looks like this.

M: High
T: Moderate
W: Low
Th: Low
F: High
S: Mod
S: Low

And im using the method where my high carb period begins after the workout, not at breakfast, so my "days" are not based on normal 24 hour cycles from 12am-12am and instead are more like 8pm-8pm because i finish my workouts around 8pm.

Thanks for answering these questions and any other input you have..

[quote]dankid wrote:

1. I understand the difference between carb cycling, low-carb, and ketogenic diets.

HOW WOULD YOU DETERMINE WHICH ONE IS THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU? [/quote]

Try it out and see.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
dankid wrote:

1. I understand the difference between carb cycling, low-carb, and ketogenic diets.

HOW WOULD YOU DETERMINE WHICH ONE IS THE BEST OPTION FOR YOU?

Try it out and see.[/quote]

Second.

There needs to be a disclaimer to post nowadays. It depends, figure it out.

[quote]Higgins wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
dankid wrote:

Try it out and see.

Second.

There needs to be a disclaimer to post nowadays. It depends, figure it out.[/quote]

I think 90% of the forum would disappear then.

thx for the replies everyone. Ya I understand im gonna have to figure out what works for me, I just would like to take advantage of others’ experiences.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
dankid wrote:

Try it out and see.[/quote]

Bingo!

We have a winner.