T Nation

Carb Cycling-Protein and Fats

Hey guys,

I'm starting to use the carb cycling approach outlined by CT in the carb cycling codex (http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=811783). However, I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for high healthy fat (for me 44g while gaining) and high protein (40g) meals for the latter part of the day. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas they could share with me. For the record, the protein isn't a problem, it's the fat. For healthy fats, my main ideas are: avocado, olive oil, olives, nuts...anything I'm missing?

Peanut FUCKING butter.

Fish oil, that should be calculated into your daily fat and caloric intake. Natural peanut butter. Macadamia nut oil. If you buy ground beef, check the fat content, that is calculated into fat intake. Same with ground turkey. Don’t count the fat in things like oatmeal, Metabolic Drive protein powder, things like that, that’s insignificant and doesn’t contain the same nutritional impact from sources like those I mentioned, and the ones you listed.

I learned a lot from CT’s responses here:

And here’s a list of clean foods:

Which includes this section:

Healthy Fats

Almonds
Avocados
Coconut Oil
Flameout (personal favorite)
Flax Seeds
Flax Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Herring
Macadamia Nuts
Mackerel
Natural Peanut Butter (no oil added)
Olive Oil
Pecans
Pumpkin Seeds
Salmon
Sardines
Sunflower Seeds
Walnuts

[quote]dratner wrote:
Fish oil, that should be calculated into your daily fat and caloric intake. Natural peanut butter. Macadamia nut oil. If you buy ground beef, check the fat content, that is calculated into fat intake. Same with ground turkey. Don’t count the fat in things like oatmeal, Metabolic Drive protein powder, things like that, that’s insignificant and doesn’t contain the same nutritional impact from sources like those I mentioned, and the ones you listed. [/quote]

Oh man I wasn’t aware that oatmeal fats didn’t count on the tab! I imagine fruit falls in the same category?

Awesome guys, thanks a lot: this is exactly what I needed.

So, why does trace fat in ground turkey count but trace fat in oatmeal not count?

[quote]danchubb wrote:
So, why does trace fat in ground turkey count but trace fat in oatmeal not count?[/quote]

because thats what they are trace amounts. You only use the main source of nutrients from the foods. Peanut butter is only fat, no carbs or protein. Beef is protein only, no fats. Oatmeal is carbs only, no protein or fats.

You missed my point; it’s trace amounts in both foods. By your reasoning, turkey would be a protein food; oatmeal a carb food (discounting fats in both of them). As per a poster higher up however, the fats in ground turkey do count but oatmeal doesn’t. Was questioning why (as it makes absolutely no sense).

Also, you can only ‘discount’ those macronutrients if you’re setting your ‘daily calories’ artificially low (to make up for the trace couple of hundred calories you’ll be getting). The difference between 1600 and 1800 cals, for example, is significant.

Of course fat in turkey counts, I didn’t say not to count it. In fact, the ground turkey I buy has 8 grams of fat per 4 oz. I definitely count that. In case you guys are wondering, this is how I count my macros.

All my sources of protein I count the fat- ground turkey, ground beef, chicken breast (usually only has 1 gram of fat per 4 oz.) egg yolks, certain cuts of steak.

My sources of carbs I do NOT count fat or protein- oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.

My sources of fat, I do NOT count protein or carbs- peanut butter, almonds, etc.

My veggies I only count fiber- not protein, carbs, fat, or cals.

I got this from Just Harris, and from reading Johnny Bowden’s books. Like broccoli, spinach, oats, these things have a little bit of protein in them, but they don’t contain the full profile of amino acids like chicken or egg yolks, so I see no reason to count it. Just like the 2.5 grams of fat found in oatmeal is not the same impact of eating olive oil or fish oil. That’s just how I operate. Adopt what is useful.

Typically I eat roughly 80g of oats per serve, which is ~6g of fat; not trivial. Regardless, to me it makes no sense to count the 1g/4oz in chicken and not the ~6g in the oats. Fat is fat; whoever told you it wasn’t was clearly wrong. Just like protein from any source STILL HAS a calorific value; carbs from ANY SOURCE still has a calorific value. Whether you ‘include’ them or not is entirely up to the individual, however it is good to be aware that they do exist.

agreed. but I still count all calories of all food (except veggies), it’s not like I look at my oats and say, hmmm, let me reduce the amount of calories I’m totaling in here because I’m not counting the fat. I just don’t count the fat towards my total intake. Works for me. And I look damn good right now.

yeah, that’s cool - it’s just that some people new to it all won’t understand what to count or not count. If you are intermediate/advanced, go the troponin route if you like, simplifies things as well. Just thought the post could be misconstrued into “it’s a protein food so who cares about the fat” with regards to something like bacon (for example). Some thing need to be very spelled out online :frowning:

agreed.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Peanut FUCKING butter.[/quote]

LOL! agreed man