Carb Cycling or 5/2?

Hello everyone,

As the title says, I can’t really decide which one to do. I have always been hovering around 15% BF but this time I want to get lean and get to 8-10%.

My primary focus is strength, because I feel I am not strong enough and I have so much room to progress (Been training seriously for 2,5 years, had serious injuries in sports during, my total is only ~500kg but the last 6 months I have gained around 100kg on it and keep gaining). So the last two months I have slowly transitionned from a 3700 cal diet to 2700.

So I have never done any special diet yet, I just want to know which one would help me achieve my fat loss without being being too harsh on my sanity (still have to lift heavy and improve technique).
I will start the program for strength and athleticism by CT as it fits my psychological profile and goal. (5 days of training)

Any feedback appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

The one you are going to stick to and will fit your lifestyle.

2 Likes

I have been into IF for many years but I must admit to having failed on several occasions to adhere to 5/2. The two low calorie days weren’t too bad but I felt ravenous on the days in between and tended to over-compensate, making the whole exercise pointless.

Carb cycling is relatively simple to organise so perhaps consider the many articles on this site for that one.

1 Like

As JFG mentioned, your best results will come from the one that you give the greatest adherence to.

For me, unlike James, the 5/2 seems almost too easy for me. I have recommended it to several friends who have also had some pretty amazing results (without changing anything else).

I enjoy the aspects of only “dieting” two days a week on non-consecutive, non-workout days. It is pretty simple for me, I drink more water/green tea/coffee on these days to keep my stomach full.

That being said, on my regular days I typically structure my diet around a kinda carb cycling approach just eating more carbs on my intense (squat/deadlift) days than on my easier (bench, etc) days. But I don’t exactly track exact cals/macros on those days.

For the record, I prefer keto diet.

See, it’s up to you.

This makes a lot of sense, thank you !

I guess I’ll try the 5/2 and see how it goes !

1 Like