T Nation

Carb Cycling & Macros To Get Out of Plateau

I’m getting into powerlifting and I have been doing crossfit for about 5 months now but I feel like I’m stuck. I’m 24 years old 5’0" and 120 lbs. I have muscle definition but I still look “soft”. I think my diet is the key to breaking out of this but I don’t know whether I should be cutting or bulking. I’m aiming to get around 1,500 calories a day (30% Carbs, 25% Fats, 45% Protein) but again I don’t know if this is too little or too much calories and if my macros are off. I’m really confused because people say you can’t build muscle and lose fat at the same time but I really just want to get stronger and have more muscle definition and not look fluffy. How can I overcome this?

It really comes down to the diet when you are looking to get leaner. The macros are very individual and it depends how you respond to different food types. If you want to get into powerlifting I would suggest doing a diet moderate/high in carbs and protein and lower fat. You certainly need to keep carbs in your diet so for powerlifting a keto diet is definitely not going to work.
It also comes down to timing - you need to make sure you’re eating your carbs at appropriate times in the day so your training and physique will benefit from it. Pre, intra and post workout being the most important.

Adding a supplement stack like plazma and indigo3g would be very beneficial for your goals as well. You can read more about those on the supplement forum or at the Biotest store online.

Are you eating mostly clean food choices or doing more of an IIFYM approach?

Thanks for the feedback! For supplements I’ve been taking CLA and l-Carnitine. I have been eating clean. But what is discouraging is I’ve noticed a little more fat storage in my midsection :frowning:

I think you need to make some adjustments with the macros for sure. 180g of protein a day for someone who weighs 120lbs is a lot(in most cases). I’d definitely try shifting the macros a bit - lower protein, higher carbs and lower fat than what you’ve been doing. I can’t really give you any kind of exact numbers because I don’t know enough about you but hopefully this helped a bit.
Indigo3G is also something you should look into, it will really help with your progress allowing you to increase the carbs with minimal risk of fat gain. It’s made a huge difference for me in terms of performance and my physique since I started using it a couple years ago.

Dear Bronwen,

You wrote: “180g of protein a day for someone who weighs 120lbs is a lot(in most cases).”

My question es, how you deducted she was having that ammount (180g)?, what are the numbers and how you calculated them?

Thank you!