T Nation

Carb Cycling Diet Critique

Hey everyone. My name is Mike and I have been working out on and off for a few years now. I have been using the program outlined in “Built for Show” consistently since October. I am 5’11", 170, and 12% BF. (27 years old)

My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few weeks and are overall tight on money. From reading a few articles on carb cycling, it seems to be the best overall diet right now. Rather than low, moderate, and high carb days I have created two types of days (workout and non workout days). I work out Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after work. Below is my proposed diet.

Non-Workout Day
1 egg & 1 egg white
4oz turkey
1/4C steel cut oats (uncooked)
1 banana

apple

8oz chicken (cooked)
4oz sweet potato (cooked)
1/2C broccoli (cooked)

Metabolic Drive Shake
1oz raw almonds

8oz chicken (cooked)
1C spinach (cooked)
1TB Peanut Butter

Metabolic Drive Shake

Workout Day
3 egg whites
1 slice wheat bread
1 banana
8oz skim milk

1 banana
8oz skim milk

8oz chicken (cooked)
8oz sweet potato (cooked)
1/2C broccoli (cooked)

PWO Drink (Surge)

8oz chicken (cooked)
4oz sweet potato (cooked)
1C Spinach (cooked)

8oz sweet potato (cooked)
1 banana
1/2C brown rice (cooked)

There are many calorie calculators out there, but here is what I’ve come up with for each type of day:

Non-Workout Day
Protein = 270g
Carbs = 173g
Fat = 64g
Calories = 2375

Workout Day
Protein = 207g
Carbs = 423g
Fat = 25g
Calories = 2788

I am obviously new to both eating right and lifting. I would really appreciate any constructive criticism on this eating plan.

What are your goals? The meals look good, except your last meal on your Workout Day, wheres the protein? The calories and macro’s might work. How often a week do you weight train? Is it high volume/intensity?

Congrats on the child on the way.

My goals are to add lean muscle mass while dropping body fat below 10%.

I’ll add 4-8oz of meat onto the last meal of the Workout Day.

I weight train three times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri). Currently some exercises are two or three sets of 4 reps, with an additional set of 10 reps. Other exercises are three sets of 8 to 12 reps.

Thank you for your advice. (You’re pics exemplify the type of body I’d like to work towards.)

You may need to increase your calories slightly, but I think you have a good base to start with. I would say try this out and see what happens. Aren’t losing BF, cut the carbs a little. Losing too much weight to quickly, add alittle. Ya kno, just judge and make adjustments.