T Nation

Carb Backloading?

Have any of you guys had success with carb backloading? If my macros are 75F/175P/360C, is it smart to save all those carbs for the pre and post workout period? I'm curious if anyone has had firsthand experience with this approach and if it's worked, or if it's just another hyped up eating schedule without any true merit behind it

And not necessarily in the sense of eating all junk at night like the CBL program calls for. I’m not into that. I’m just simply intrigued and interested in the fact of abstaining from carbs until post workout, then taking in all 350 or so grams before bed

My eating style is to backload. If by ‘worked’ you mean (as some seem to think, and as Kiefer sort of implies) ‘allows one to eat all the carbs they want and not get fat’ then the answer is no–it doesn’t work. OTOH, if by ‘worked’ you mean ‘provides an easy-to-follow way of organizing and timing macro intake that may provide a small advantage with regard to body composition,’ for me the answer is yes.

EDIT: Posted before your 2nd comment above. Glad to hear you have a realistic attitude toward junk-splurging.

Could you elaborate? How did you go about your backloading? My macro split is 75F/350C/175P. Would you save all 350 grams of carbs for pre and post workout? Or only post workout? And would you abstain from fruits during the day due to the carbohydrates? How did you structure your diet

And yes I’m definitely interested in its advantages for body composition, regardless if it’s only a small advantage

There is a thread in the BSL subforum called ‘Eyedentist, how do you train?’ where I lay out my approach to dieting in a fair amount of detail; give it a lookover if you want, and feel free to ask any questions that arise.

Loved your training journey and log… Obviously didn’t get a chance to read through the entire thing, but I was able to skim some parts I was most interested in.

I was wondering if you’d be able to help me structure my meal plan with the same ideas that you have about diets and meal timing. I’m very intrigued and it makes a lot of sense to me from a logistics standpoint.

Obviously, we’re at different ends of the “spectrum,” with me being a 23-year old probably still capable of packing on a bit of muscle mass and strength. My issue is that I want to be big, but I also am married to the idea of being ripped. I’ve never been completely “shredded,” I usually hover at around 11-13% BF, so I am a pretty lean individual. I’ve always wanted that complete “shredded” look, but have never been able to strip off the little remaining fat to get rid of that “soft” look. My whole journey thus far has been trying to pack on muscle while somehow still working my way to getting shredded, which I know is probably very counter-intuitive.

I feel like a diet structure set up like yours could give me somewhat of an advantage and may be able to manipulate the fat burning capabilities of my body. Do you have any input?

Current Macros:
2900 kcals
81F
181 P
363 C

Right now, I eat 4 meals per day:
6 AM - protein/fats only (may include an apple - not sure if this breaks the “no carb” rule since its fruit)
11AM - protein/carbs/veggies (preparing for my evening lift
4 or 5PM - pre workout meal (2 servings oats, banana, whey protein, black coffee)
7 or 8 PM - post workout (filling the rest of my macros… usually around 50-60 g protein, 100-150 g carbs, and 10-15 g fats)

I’d appreciate some input from you and maybe how you’d apply your philosophies to my current diet/meal plan. Thank you!

You remind me of my son. He’s 22, big and strong, and in that 12-15% range–lean, looks great with his shirt on or off, but not ripped. And like you, he wants to have his cake and eat it too–wants to get both bigger AND leaner. And I’m going to tell you the same thing I tell him, which is that in my experience, a man’s twenties are his most productive life-period in terms of putting on mass, and doing so should be his primary goal during that time. I’m not suggesting that you/he should allow yourself to get sloppy. What I’m saying is, in the long run (= the rest of your life), your physique will be better if you’ll spend a few more years eating at a surplus and getting bigger/stronger. Even another year or two of cautious bulking could make a huge difference. (This is especially true if you plan to remain natty.)

/fatherly advice

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
You remind me of my son. He’s 22, big and strong, and in that 12-15% range–lean, looks great with his shirt on or off, but not ripped. And like you, he wants to have his cake and eat it too–wants to get both bigger AND leaner. And I’m going to tell you the same thing I tell him, which is that in my experience, a man’s twenties are his most productive life-period in terms of putting on mass, and doing so should be his primary goal during that time. I’m not suggesting that you/he should allow yourself to get sloppy. What I’m saying is, in the long run (= the rest of your life), your physique will be better if you’ll spend a few more years eating at a surplus and getting bigger/stronger. Even another year or two of cautious bulking could make a huge difference. (This is especially true if you plan to remain natty.)

/fatherly advice[/quote]

I thought about what you said… and I definitely am starting to see that and understand. I think for now, I’ll continue my high carb diet and continue to get stronger. Maybe further down the road when I’m not so much focused on gaining, I can give the keto idea a shot. I appreciate all of your feedback and your advice.

[quote]szappa wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

/fatherly advice[/quote]

I thought about what you said… and I definitely am starting to see that and understand. I think for now, I’ll continue my high carb diet and continue to get stronger. Maybe further down the road when I’m not so much focused on gaining, I can give the keto idea a shot. I appreciate all of your feedback and your advice. [/quote]

Good on you, szappa. I promise: in 10, 20, and yes, THIRTY years, you’ll be glad you did.