T Nation

Carb Backloading with Day Job, Family, Late Workouts

I started the ten days prep fase, 9 days ago. Sunday will be my first backloading day, but something has dawned on me. I have a family and I want to enjoy a normal family dinner with my two sons (age 3 and 5). I can't tell them to eat their rice and potatoes if they don't see me eating them.
The problem with backloading is that I can't have any carbs on those dinners since I workout from 19:30 till 21:00 and will then carb up.

I workout on monday, wednesday and friday evening.

After I've leaned out enough I wan't to manage my calorie intake with one or two days of intermittant fasting. Something I've done three years ago on a bulk with great succes. But it was also a struggle since it's not preferable to fast after a weightraining session. So I sometimes fasted on weekends, which was horrible.

How do other familymen and woman manage their time in the gym, with a daytime job and kids?

No reason you have to do CBL to get lean. Do something simple, like 5-6 meals a day with fixed macros.

Say you start out eating meals containing roughly 40g protein/30g carb/10g fat, training 3 times a week and doing 20 minutes of cardio 5 times a week. As fat loss stalls, you gradually reduce carbs and/or increase the cardio. Simple and effective.

just eat your carbs at dinner with your family. The difference will be minimal at most.

@Yogi.
I thought about doing just that,just eat no carbs during the day and start eating my carbs with dinner, before training. It throws everything Kiefer writes out of the window I guess, but it;s worth a try.

I hate counting calories, I just can’t seem to stick to doing that so jzoll’s option isn’t for me.

[quote]Cobblepot wrote:
@Yogi.
I thought about doing just that,just eat no carbs during the day and start eating my carbs with dinner, before training. It throws everything Kiefer writes out of the window I guess, but it;s worth a try.

I hate counting calories, I just can’t seem to stick to doing that so jzoll’s option isn’t for me.[/quote]

I have been on a cut since 1/24 that is going very well. I asked my family to be supportive and know that I will be eating different things at dinner than them. No one really cared after we had the talk. My family eats what they eat, and I eat what I eat. My youngest is 5 and he could care less about what is on my plate and still eats what’s on his.

I train at 5AM and consume the vast majority of my carbs (175-200G) around or during training with next to zero carbs for dinner.

Good luck - I know what you mean. I was worried it might have a negative impact on an important family activity as well. It is hard to balance it all, but in the long run, it will make you happy and healthier so it’s good for your family’s future.

I wish that was the case here. My wife is really supportive, she really tries to be, but her family has had some nasty food related “problems” and she’s a real emotional eater. That’s why diets etc are always hard to swallow for her even if it’s ‘just me’.
I have already talked this over with her and she’s supportive for now. So we’ll see how that pans out.

[quote]Cobblepot wrote:
@Yogi.

I hate counting calories, I just can’t seem to stick to doing that so jzoll’s option isn’t for me.[/quote]

just eat your carbs when it’s convenient. I know Kiefer has some very convincing scientific reasons why carb backloading is the best thing ever and you should buy his overpriced book, but there’s plenty of science supporting the benefits of a carbless postworkout too.

At the end of the day, it’s your calories and food choices over the course of the entire day that will matter the most. If you are eating good quality foods and below maintenance level of calories, then you’ll lose weight regardless of when you eat your carbs.

A lot of very high level contest prep coaches (Shelby and Meadows) get guys peeled to the bone eating carbs at every meal. While nutrient timing makes a difference, it’s nothing magic.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

At the end of the day, it’s your calories and food choices over the course of the entire day that will matter the most. If you are eating good quality foods and below maintenance level of calories, then you’ll lose weight regardless of when you eat your carbs.
[/quote]

+1

I love reading common sense posts in the Supplements & Nutrition boards, which is otherwise filled with “If I eat 4g of CHO at 5pm instead of my usual 3pm, how will this affect my fat loss???”

I use CBL, am a huge advocate of it on these boards.

When I have a late workout I ingest Pre-WO carbs. Kiefer even has a specific protocol in the book for those training late at night (after 6 or so) which includes Pre-WO carbs. If anything, that might be the best method, you get the benefits of CBL and the pre/intra carb benefits many from this site have found effective.

Just eat your carb meal with your family, train, and finish your backload after

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

+1

I love reading common sense posts in the Supplements & Nutrition boards, which is otherwise filled with “If I eat 4g of CHO at 5pm instead of my usual 3pm, how will this affect my fat loss???”[/quote]

lol, yeah, I have to admit though I used to get as bogged down in the details as a lot of the other posts on here, freaking out if I broke my fast early or whatever.

I’m much more zen about nutrition and lifting in general than I once was.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

When I have a late workout I ingest Pre-WO carbs. Kiefer even has a specific protocol in the book for those training late at night (after 6 or so) which includes Pre-WO carbs. If anything, that might be the best method, you get the benefits of CBL and the pre/intra carb benefits many from this site have found effective.

Just eat your carb meal with your family, train, and finish your backload after[/quote]

I’m actually a big fan of CBL too, in case I made it seem otherwise. But if you can’t fit it into your lifestyle then there’s other ways to make a diet work.

Nice to hear from you Spidey, don’t see you around here much these days.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

Just eat your carb meal with your family, train, and finish your backload after[/quote]

We do mostly eat slow digested carbs at dinner like whole rice and wheat pasta, so maybe that’ll do the trick.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

I’m actually a big fan of CBL too, in case I made it seem otherwise. But if you can’t fit it into your lifestyle then there’s other ways to make a diet work.

Nice to hear from you Spidey, don’t see you around here much these days.[/quote]

Totally agree with you.

I still post, just keep it mostly over in the Training Logs section. Less drama there, more camaraderie. I have a log over there, stop by whenever you wanna chat :slight_smile:

That didn’t go too well. Had a normal dinner with extra fats, then took a carby drink during my workout around 21:00. When I got home ate some grapes, another drink + whey and a cookie. Sat for an hour and went to bed at 23:00.
Couldn’t sleep! Was awake in bed till 03.00 then finally fell asleep and woke at 07:30, feel like S.H.I.T. now.
And this was after last night when my son kept up all night (chickenpoks, this night he slept like a rose…)