T Nation

Carb Back-Loading

currently I am not following any protocol except eating a snickers before training and drinking some grape juice(250ml) during,but this article mad em think if i should give it a try,mu current carb protocol suck donkey balls so maybe this will give better results,I am currently on the 3 week of big beyond belief(grueling srslY),so do you think i should give it a try or is it total bollocks?

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/carb-back-loading/

I read the same article and was very curious. It basically goes against the normal layout of macro nutrient consumption. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has used this protocol and what their results were.

A snickers before training? facepalm

Interesting read though. I’ve done only carbs pre workout as well as carbs just breakfast/pre, I felt ok, but I feel better having carbs leading up to and following training.

This article was also posted recently in a T-Cell Alpha Thread and I would love to hear peoples thoughts, especially from those who have tried it.

This pretty much turns current protocol on its head, thoughts?

Wow, very interesting article. He makes a good point and the logic *appears (most authors generally construct arguments for their belief) to be sound. Really throws you out with all the golden rules of carbs that seem to have become gospel.

Very Keen to see what some of the more experienced/well read members have to say.

Definitely thinking of giving it a try next bulk in a few weeks.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
A snickers before training? facepalm

Interesting read though. I’ve done only carbs pre workout as well as carbs just breakfast/pre, I felt ok, but I feel better having carbs leading up to and following training. [/quote]
oh dude cmon,I eat rice and shit before training but this is like immediately , 5 minutes before,I just do it cos i like snickers :P.

i Think he explains his idea in his blog, be sure to have a look at it i dont think can post it in here,its named dangerouslyhardcore,id rly appreciate your input guys :slight_smile:

yeah i read this as well. i’m coming out of a low carb phase so as i’m adding them back in i’m going to back load just to see what it’s like.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
yeah i read this as well. i’m coming out of a low carb phase so as i’m adding them back in i’m going to back load just to see what it’s like.[/quote]

Let us know how it goes.

Didn’t several authore here recommend something similar several years ago? I can remember reading something about having steak/eggs/veggies for breakfast and something low carb before lifting 'cause carbs throw off hormones, or something like that. Obviously my scientific breakdown has enlightened the board.

I think Poliquin said something like that, yeah. Meat and nuts for breakfast. Not sure about the pre-workout meal timing, but I’m pretty sure it was also P+F, something about it being better for neural efficiency. Same reasons this guy is citing basically. I’ve had enough failure on the traditional AM carbs to think that this is at least worth a shot.

I’d be interested to see someone with some background in biochem weigh in on this.

Ya, this sounds pretty much like what Berardi was advocating as far back as 2003ish. P+F meals up until workout, then P+C during and after workout (for up to 6 hours after). Of course, the amount of carbs within P+C meals and the frequency of ingestion thereof within the 6-hour post-workout window was based on one’s personal goals, sensitivity to carbs, intensity of workout, etc. I actually think he was recommending P+C for breakfast as well, if you could handle it.

I have found that this basic framework works well for me with the important exception of the PWO shake. Ditching that and spiking insulin pre-workout instead has proven much more effective for me, both in terms of limiting fat gain and maintaining muscle gain.

Plus I love my bacon and omellette breakfasts!

Was this not always advised? I thought it was recommended to eat carbs before and after training. I figured you did not have to eat carbs for breakfast but, if you ate them at any other time except pre-post training it would be best to eat them early.

Idk im perplexed,actually the guy goes in depth in the biochemical aspect of his theory and to me it seems pretty ok . Although it differs from the periworkout nutrition method we can’t say it doesn’t or does work,maybe it looks good on paper ,but it sucks in practice.

I just started working with Keifer on this this week. if I remember, I will post back in a bit.

Jason

[quote]JPeggEFS wrote:
I just started working with Keifer on this this week. if I remember, I will post back in a bit.

Jason[/quote]
Ok man,see if you can post results and experiences.:smiley:

[quote]Marlind wrote:

[quote]JPeggEFS wrote:

Jason[/quote]
Ok man,see if you can post results and experiences.:D[/quote]

Will do

Jason

[quote]Marlind wrote:
oh dude cmon,I eat rice and shit before training but this is like immediately , 5 minutes before,I just do it cos i like snickers :P.[/quote]
Protein, dude, protein.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:

[quote]Marlind wrote:
oh dude cmon,I eat rice and shit before training but this is like immediately , 5 minutes before,I just do it cos i like snickers :P.[/quote]
Protein, dude, protein.[/quote]
egg whites,i need it fast acting protein,btw just ate 500 gr of chicken post workout…:stuck_out_tongue:

This is pretty much the apporach I’ve been using for a while since reading Berardi’s ‘Grappler’s Guide to Sports Nutrition’. It’s worked great for me.