Carb Back Loading Book

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Anyone who read the book wonder about the absurd amount of caffeine he reccomends? up 800mg for traning and cups of coffee in the morning…[/quote]
Not really that absurd… if you can handle that much caffeine. Search “poliquin coffee” in google and read some of his articles on it, he goes over what the science shows. He routinely recommends loads of caffeine 45 mins before lifting. On the adrenal issue, his Java Stim supp has two amino acids to specifically support the adrenals.

Dunno about taking it at 5pm though, that would probably fuck over my sleep. I generally take my pre-workout caffeine earlier in the day, around 12PM or sometime after. 1-2 cups of coffee and ~500mg pre-workout.

The science of why he likes the carbs after a workout at night is becuase only the muscle is ready to absorb glucose and grow not fat. Earlier in the day both fat and muscle are ready to absorb the glucose so they both grow.(very simplified from what he has written but that is the premise.)

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Anyone who read the book wonder about the absurd amount of caffeine he reccomends? up 800mg for traning and cups of coffee in the morning…[/quote]
Not really that absurd… if you can handle that much caffeine. Search “poliquin coffee” in google and read some of his articles on it, he goes over what the science shows. He routinely recommends loads of caffeine 45 mins before lifting. On the adrenal issue, his Java Stim supp has two amino acids to specifically support the adrenals.

Dunno about taking it at 5pm though, that would probably fuck over my sleep. I generally take my pre-workout caffeine earlier in the day, around 12PM or sometime after. 1-2 cups of coffee and ~500mg pre-workout.[/quote]

That just seems like ton of stress on the adrenals. But what do i know. Caffeine doesnt do much to me. I have never run into an amount that even makes me feel much of anythign. Increased focus is about the only thing i get form it.

[quote]ColinD624 wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
I know when backloading he likes to say eat pizza and burgers and fries but these dont seem to be able to spike your insulin (which is what he wants) all the fat and size of the meal should slow digestion and keep the insulin spikes actually pretty low even if you add a bunch of simple sugars with it…or am is my thinking off?[/quote]

How I take it is that you want to spike your insulin high immediately PWO, with high gi carbs. Then in your PWO meal about and hour or two after that is when you want to shovel the shit down, insulin is already high, muscle is primed for nutrients and those cals go to good use.

I realize this is probably a bastardization of the science behind back-loading, but its just my poor-man’s synopsis of what happens.[/quote]

Its the part about the large spike then it coming down fast. If there is that large bolus of fat and food digestion will be very slow and a slow release of insulin thorugh the night which is what he is trying to avoid. I agree the spike initially comes from the high gi carb and hydrolyzed pro.

Does anyone know if low-fat flavored frozen yogurt (obviously sugar added) is an acceptable backloading food. I’ve been enjoying about 2 servings pwo with a pwo shake on the side?

[quote]facko wrote:
Does anyone know if low-fat flavored frozen yogurt (obviously sugar added) is an acceptable backloading food. I’ve been enjoying about 2 servings pwo with a pwo shake on the side? [/quote]

If he advocates Wendy’s Frosty’s… I’m sure its ok

[quote]facko wrote:
The science is in there if you are into that and you can just skip to the meat if you aren’t. [/quote]

But doesn’t skipping to the meat defeat the whole purpose of a carb back load?

har…har…har

Kiefer misinterprets just about all of the research he uses…

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:
Kiefer misinterprets just about all of the research he uses…[/quote]

Elaborate? Please

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:

Elaborate? Please[/quote]

He’s going to say that he misinterprets the data about glut-4 translocation…in that it doesn’t happen in skeletal muscle, but rather in organ tissue. Atleast…this is what I’ve heard others say before.

I’m not saying this kid is correct…I’m just guessing what he’s going to critique.

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:

It’s pretty easy to drop a bomb like that then walk away.

Let’s hear your hypothesis on what he’s misinterpreting.

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:

Elaborate? Please[/quote]

He’s going to say that he misinterprets the data about glut-4 translocation…in that it doesn’t happen in skeletal muscle, but rather in organ tissue. Atleast…this is what I’ve heard others say before.

I’m not saying this kid is correct…I’m just guessing what he’s going to critique.[/quote]

Kiefer is not the only one i have heard about the glut 4 translocation though.

I would at the very least like to hear about this missinterpretation. And cite your sources!

If you have 10 minutes to spare and want to be in constant pain for it:

Interesting kiefer says glut are not transported to the surface from endurance exercise when bill willis said in the live spill on protein synthesis that it does occur

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Interesting kiefer says glut are not transported to the surface from endurance exercise when bill willis said in the live spill on protein synthesis that it does occur[/quote]

Ha I know what you mean. I’m just going to give his protocol a shot and see where it takes me. On the main page of T-Nation there are 2 articles about deadlifting. One says it’s awesome and why, the other says it’s horrible and why. Seems like you just have to stick with what you feel is right and believe in

I will continue doing low intensity cardio but i wont use it for backloading purposes. I just think its funny

[quote]JLone wrote:

To quote Kiefer

"He doesn’t understand that resistance training causes GLUT4 (and other GLUTs) to translocate to the surface of the cell without insulin and in-spite-of insulin sensitivity, high or low. Resistance training allows muscles to absorb all the glucose they want, even if you don’t have a pancreas to produce insulin in the first place. This is the absolute most basic principle of Carb Back-Loading. If you can’t understand this, you shouldn’t write article about it, for or against.

To me, this guy appears to be a hack trainer trying to capitalize on people doing Google searches for Carb Back-Loading."

[quote]TRU76 wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

To quote Kiefer

"He doesn’t understand that resistance training causes GLUT4 (and other GLUTs) to translocate to the surface of the cell without insulin and in-spite-of insulin sensitivity, high or low. Resistance training allows muscles to absorb all the glucose they want, even if you don’t have a pancreas to produce insulin in the first place. This is the absolute most basic principle of Carb Back-Loading. If you can’t understand this, you shouldn’t write article about it, for or against.

To me, this guy appears to be a hack trainer trying to capitalize on people doing Google searches for Carb Back-Loading."

[/quote]

Secondly, he keeps calling it glut translation…wtf is that. It’s TRANSLOCATION… If you are going out of your way to make a video that debunks a physiological phenomena…wouldn’t you make sure you could pronounce the said physiological phenomena properly?

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
I will continue doing low intensity cardio but i wont use it for backloading purposes. I just think its funny[/quote]

You see it in my log as well, but I’m all for morning fasted. It’s just easier for me at this point. Easier on my knees as well and if you can get a good 3-4 miles in 5 days a week it produces some excellent results. The only reason Kman seemed to have against it was the time constraint, which I don’t have. So walking I’m going to do :slight_smile: Oh and since you’re involved with the BL topics I’d like to discuss cleaner high GI carbs to use. The bacon is killing me haha. And I want to do it as healthy as possible most of the time. I’ll save one or two days per week for my frosting drinking :slight_smile: