Carb Back Loading 2.0

For those that supplement with fish oil, how are you using it with cbl? I figure it would be great during the low carb portion of the day but it seems counterproductive during the backload due to mitigating the insulin response.

[quote]gkeeper24 wrote:
For those that supplement with fish oil, how are you using it with cbl? I figure it would be great during the low carb portion of the day but it seems counterproductive during the backload due to mitigating the insulin response.[/quote]

I think one school of thought is that if you use it during the low carb portion it will just be oxidized rather than be incorporated in cell membranes. Either way it’s a great thing to include and you are splitting hairs IMO. just take a couple grams of high quality/potency stuff each day.

off day

8:30am black coffee
11am Coffee with Cream and Coconut Oil
1pm Coffee with Cream and Coconut Oil
2:30-3pm Half a roast chicken with salad and balsamic vinaigrette
6pm MEATZA!!! MMM. These are awesome!
9:30-10pm 4 Egg Omlete with Salami, 2 hamburger patties, fried onions and capsicum

170g fat
20g carb max! probably less
190g protein
= 2370cals

I’m a little late to this party, but count me in.

Been doing this for 2 weeks or so, have actually leaned up a tiny bit already!

How clean or dirty are everyone’s carb ups? And are y’all carbing up on off days?

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

6pm MEATZA!!! MMM. [/quote]

EXPLAIN THIS!

Something interesting I’ve noticed:

When I started CBL, I was taking in upwards of 500g of Carbs on my backloads and doing fine. When I made the decision to go ahead and roll with the Density Bulking scheme, I just kind of let my mornings (how I looked in the mirror, felt etc) dictate how I proceed with my backloads.

Now, I find that I’m responding and still gaining on LESS carbs on my backload days than previously. I.E. 350 - 400g of carbs on training days, closer to 300g on off days and I still look full in the mornings and my weight is slowly inching up. I went big last night after a tough workout and put down a good 475g of Carbs or so, and I’m a little sloppy this morning.

Just interesting how the body adapts to this stuff. I don’t feel crummy today at all, but I’ll likely tighten up the carb load some tonight.

Just started this week and already leaner!!!

Knew about CBL long before, but being a former fatty, who went low carb, I didn’t want to even try CBL, then I went leangains, Had success and stumbled back upon CBL. Done 3 backloads so far and already noticeably leaner!

didn;t do the prep, and haven’t red the book, but it seems to be working!!! super excited.

Made a mistake last night, having sherbert, looked on the back…HFCS!!! NOOOOO!!!

[quote]coolusername wrote:

[quote]gkeeper24 wrote:
For those that supplement with fish oil, how are you using it with cbl? I figure it would be great during the low carb portion of the day but it seems counterproductive during the backload due to mitigating the insulin response.[/quote]

I think one school of thought is that if you use it during the low carb portion it will just be oxidized rather than be incorporated in cell membranes. Either way it’s a great thing to include and you are splitting hairs IMO. just take a couple grams of high quality/potency stuff each day. [/quote]

would a fish oil pill really matter during your back load, i mean it’s like a gram of fat and not even the whole gram is pure dha, efa or whatever is suppose to be in those suckers

[quote]throws56 wrote:

Knew about CBL long before, but being a former fatty, who went low carb, I didn’t want to even try CBL, then I went leangains, Had success and stumbled back upon CBL. Done 3 backloads so far and already noticeably leaner!

didn;t do the prep, and haven’t red the book, but it seems to be working!!! super excited.

Made a mistake last night, having sherbert, looked on the back…HFCS!!! NOOOOO!!![/quote]

The HFCS isn’t as bad as originally stated. But you should check out some of the more expensive brands of ice cream. They usually have fewer ingredients and are more natural. Think Haagen Dazs

[quote]Siouxfan wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

Made a mistake last night, having sherbert, looked on the back…HFCS!!! NOOOOO!!![/quote]

Im trying to lean out on it. I know you dont necessarily have to avoid fat on the load, but… Ben and jerry’s froyo isn;t bad

The HFCS isn’t as bad as originally stated. But you should check out some of the more expensive brands of ice cream. They usually have fewer ingredients and are more natural. Think Haagen Dazs[/quote]

Im trying to lean out on it. I know you dont necessarily have to avoid fat on the load, but… Ben and jerry’s froyo isn;t bad. think I going to start emphasize my own dessert making instead of buying…

BTW I know you started this thread… how has it gone? I couldn’t go through the entire thing do to time constraints…

Should my backloads be more staggered? Meaning I have been doing one very large meal, usually takes 1.5 hrs to complete. I am seeing a trend of getting in something like 50 to 100 g f hi glecemic carbs followed by something like an hour later with more of the same…

Is this something endorsed by Kiefer?

[quote]throws56 wrote:
Should my backloads be more staggered? Meaning I have been doing one very large meal, usually takes 1.5 hrs to complete. I am seeing a trend of getting in something like 50 to 100 g f hi glecemic carbs followed by something like an hour later with more of the same…

Is this something endorsed by Kiefer?[/quote]

From personal experience, I found spreading the carbs out a bit, and not fitting it into one giant mega-meal (like I initially did) got me better results. In the book Keifer’s meal plans have the carbs spaced over a few meals, if that helps at all

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

From personal experience, I found spreading the carbs out a bit, and not fitting it into one giant mega-meal (like I initially did) got me better results. In the book Keifer’s meal plans have the carbs spaced over a few meals, if that helps at all[/quote]
+1

I found the same. Thought Id get better fatloss if I just had the one massive carb up after training and left more time without carbs at the end of the day. Uh Uh, did not pan out. Workouts started to suffer and bodycomp did not improve favourably. So now I make sure to have some carbs with the last meal. Not as much as in the PWO meal, maybe only 50-100grams

[quote]wiggles wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

EXPLAIN THIS![/quote]
LOL. This is my new reason for living! A totally breadless meat based pizza

Take raw chicken and blend into a fine paste. Take a baking tray, coat with coconut oil/spray. Spread chicken paste out into a base about 1/2 inch thick. cook in oven for 10-15 minutes or until you start to see some “crisping”. Take out of oven and dab water residue off top. Proceed to top like a normal pizza however you see fit.

My one last night consisted of the following.

400g chicken for base (80g protein 10g fat)
spicy chilli salsa for base sauce
tasty cheese (10g protein, 10g fat)
red onions, red capsicum
salami, bacon bits (10g protein 10g fat)
aioli and bbq sauce (10g fat)

Some incidental carbs, but not a whole lot. Plus this one was part of a backload so I didnt get too anal with it. Works on off days if you are careful with sauces and how much carbs you’ve had up till then.

training day

8:30am black coffee
11am coffee with cream and coconut oil
2:30pm half roast chicken with coleslaw
4:30pm coffee with coconut oil
5pm training with BCAA/EAA shake
7pm 25g whey iso with EAA
7:30pm MEATZA (the one above) with 1/4 tub of ice cream and 3 mini chocolate mud cakes
10pm 50g whey iso and 1 mini chocolate mud cake (would normally have a steak here, but didnt have one defrosted, and just wanted to go to bed)

195g fat
235g protein
335g carb
= 4035cals

I think another good thing about CBL, is it use to be, just because of how I handled carbs, I had to eat a large portion of my calories from Protein. I would get in over 250+g daily at BW in the 190-210 range. Now with CBL, and a weight of 190, I only get around 1g/BW (and sometimes lower just by accident), yet have BETTER body composition then I’ve ever had before. It’s hard to think, a simple thing like switching around the timing of what I ate could make such a difference.

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]wiggles wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

EXPLAIN THIS![/quote]

Take raw chicken and blend into a fine paste. Take a baking tray, coat with coconut oil/spray. Spread chicken paste out into a base about 1/2 inch thick. cook in oven for 10-15 minutes or until you start to see some “crisping”. Take out of oven and dab water residue off top. Proceed to top like a normal pizza however you see fit.

red onions, red capsicum

Some incidental carbs, but not a whole lot. Plus this one was part of a backload so I didnt get too anal with it. Works on off days if you are careful with sauces and how much carbs you’ve had up till then.[/quote]

Holy Hell this sounds amazing!!!

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

[quote]wiggles wrote:

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:

EXPLAIN THIS![/quote]

red onions, red capsicum

Some incidental carbs, but not a whole lot. Plus this one was part of a backload so I didnt get too anal with it. Works on off days if you are careful with sauces and how much carbs you’ve had up till then.[/quote]

dude…THANK YOU!!!

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

From personal experience, I found spreading the carbs out a bit, and not fitting it into one giant mega-meal (like I initially did) got me better results. In the book Keifer’s meal plans have the carbs spaced over a few meals, if that helps at all[/quote]

Def. does, thank you! I’ll give it a go tonight. I’ve keep seeing a “4 hour window” for backloading carbs recommended. Maybe with some luck, doing it this way will keep me from experiencing the huge bloat I typically get from having the one huge meal.

you can use ground beef for meatzas. No need to make the horrid chicken paste