T Nation

Car Tranny Problems?

Hey guys I have a auto 2000 Mazda 626 with 110,000 miles on it. Lately the car has been kinda slow shifting into reverse, like it'll shift but you give too much gas it'll jolt into motion. It doesn't seem to drive all that smooth in reverse either, I have to be extra sensitive on the peddle. In drive, the car runs fine, it shifts nicely, the transmission never slips at all. Its been kinda spotty in reverse. So I guess my question is if i should be expecting the transmission to be replaced soon or if I have time. Because I need this car for a few more months, as i am getting a newer one soon.

Thanks for the feedback/adice

holy shit, another masshole…

We really are like 1/3 of this board

haha hell yeah bro

stick it in her tailpipe.

PIIHTP

You can live without reverse…just park it pointing in the right direction.

Or, just refill your reverse fluid. That’ll work too.

Tranny Problems? What’s his name?

[quote]ron22 wrote:
Or, just refill your reverse fluid. That’ll work too.[/quote]

XD

But seriously OP, go to a Mazda forum.

disappointed this thread wasn’t about a transvestite stealing your car…

How’s the idle on the car? I had some similar problems on one of my cars and it was because the idle was too high, faulty tps sensor. If the idle is fine about the only thing you can do is change the trans fluid if it needs it. Otherwise your stuck bringing it to a mechanic to check the trans.

Is the engine throwing codes?

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
How’s the idle on the car? I had some similar problems on one of my cars and it was because the idle was too high, faulty tps sensor. If the idle is fine about the only thing you can do is change the trans fluid if it needs it. Otherwise your stuck bringing it to a mechanic to check the trans.

Is the engine throwing codes? [/quote]

The engine light never comes on and the transmission fluid is full and clean. Sometimes the idle does dip though maybe like 200 rpms. Thanks for some insight in that

edit: saw it was an auto

How many miles are on it?

How do you know that the transmission fluid is full and clean?

do you make sure you come to a complete stop when you switch from reverse to drive?

transmissions are alot of cash and alot of work, you really dont have too many options other than baby it. and then learn to park/drive it so that you dont ever need reverse. my buddies jetta didnt have reverse for the 4 years he owned it, he learned to work around it.

[quote]tdubs wrote:
disappointed this thread wasn’t about a transvestite stealing your car…[/quote]
I figured he had like a dead tranny body in his trunk or something. Could have been epic… but it’s not.

Hey, I know it’s the “Get A Life” section of the board, but I hope it doesn’t start to turn into a car repair forum.
Or a forum about how cool Parkour guys are.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
holy shit, another masshole…

We really are like 1/3 of this board[/quote]

word

[quote]Nards wrote:
Hey, I know it’s the “Get A Life” section of the board, but I hope it doesn’t start to turn into a car repair forum.
Or a forum about how cool Parkour guys are.[/quote]

lol

where I live it’s not just a part of a forum that is about cars, but the whole life

I’m putting in my vote for flush fluid and replace filter first of all. You should be able to do this yourself with a haynes manual. Second thing that comes to mind is what someone above said, the throttle position sensor. If it’s idling too high, it can jerk when you put it in gear because the converter pulls down the rpms. If it’s idling low sometimes, that could be a sign that the tps is screwy possibly. Also if it’s just reverse, it may be just a transmission problem. I’ll also vote for babying it as long as you can. You might be able to get another 2 or 3 years out of it and then pass the problem on to the next owner.

As for the people who don’t think this question belongs here, get a life. Oh wait…

Oh and check the linkage, it could be something with the shifter itself…