Car Recommendations

Tesla Model S. Best fuel efficiency of any car on the road. It’s the safest car available. It’s very roomy with tons of space in the front and back. Its fun to drive, it’s faster then that beemer. Yeah it cost a lot but you get a 7000 dollar rebate from the gov and you’re selling two cars so the costs shouldn’t be a problem. Well, maybe a bit of a problem but don’t let that stop you.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
I’d skip the Nissans too. I have 2 Altimas, which were good until about 95K and 125K miles. Then everything breaks. [/quote]

This surprised me a bit.

From a handling standpoint (which, frankly, is what I actually consider “safety”), I like Nissan’s engineering. Plus, it turns out they also actually have high safety ratings.

Longevity, I thought they did better than that.

Honda and Toyota longevity is great. I got 265k out of the Honda engine in my Integra, and I wasn’t that gentle on it. I personally don’t like the feel of Toyotas – they’ve always seemed more focused on comfort than function… but they too last forever.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
It’s a 2003 BMW 325ci with 42K miles. …

I’m thinking about something along the lines of a Hyundai Elantra with the hatchback so I can fit some shit in it when I take trips.[/quote]
The car salesman is going to look at you like you’re a f*cking idiot…

If you are going to buy a new car get gap coverage. If you plan on keeping it a long time get the extended warranty plan. It sounds stupid but when your Hyundai sh*ts out on you at 46,000 miles you will be happy you have it.

A minivan would be dope…[/quote]
Da f*ck?

I think you can trade your balls in, straight up.

Get a 1982 Chevy Scottsdale pickup with 8" lift kit

Just get a Prius and be done with it.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
I’d skip the Nissans too. I have 2 Altimas, which were good until about 95K and 125K miles. Then everything breaks. [/quote]

This surprised me a bit.

From a handling standpoint (which, frankly, is what I actually consider “safety”), I like Nissan’s engineering. Plus, it turns out they also actually have high safety ratings.

Longevity, I thought they did better than that.

Honda and Toyota longevity is great. I got 265k out of the Honda engine in my Integra, and I wasn’t that gentle on it. I personally don’t like the feel of Toyotas – they’ve always seemed more focused on comfort than function… but they too last forever.[/quote]

I had one Altima 2.5S, it was so nice I got another for my wife to use around town instead of her SUV. Hers, the engine went at 95K, the catalytic converter is real close to the exhaust manifold, when it goes bad, the engine sucks up the pellets and it self destructs. I sprung $7K for a Jasper rebuild since the rest of the car is mint.

Mine I drove until 116K and gave it to my son. He drove it all over, upstate NY to college, back & forth to Westchester every day for almost 2 years. I’ll say that he didn’t take good care of it like I did. It was just in the shop today with the check engine light on. It had gone on last month just before I replaced the alternator for him. I looked at the coolant last week, it was low so I topped it off. The thing threw 2 codes, an engine misfire and an overheat condition. My mechanic says its 90% probable that the head gasket is blown. He put in a good stop leak block sealer. So I have to watch it.

That 2.5 engine was touted as good for 250K miles. The car generally always rode nice, had a big gas tank, good fuel economy, etc. Right about now, I’d be leaning towards a Civic if I had to buy another car.

Rob

Drive the bmw into the ground then sell it. Do the maintenance yourself. You got the car for free…use it to save money!

I recently inherited a car from a relative who passed away. It’s a 2003 BMW 325ci with 42K miles. It’s a sweet car to drive, but not super practical. Insurance costs a lot, it only takes premium gas, mpg isn’t great, and when it starts to break I know it’s going to cost a ton to repair.

I’m interested in selling or trading in this car to buy something that’s better on gas, cheaper to insure, and cheaper to repair. I’m thinking about something along the lines of a Hyundai Elantra with the hatchback so I can fit some shit in it when I take trips. I’m estimating my car to be worth around $10K, and would like to avoid spending more than that if possible.

Any recommendations? What do you guys drive?[/quote]

Gas mileage- what do you want 20-30, 30-40, etc. the BMW does alright.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage.php?do=details&vehicleid=6862
http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage.php?do=details&vehicleid=1762

Cheaper to insure- shop around & ask you insurer what “group” is cheapest for you.

Cheaper to repair- get the extended warranty or learn to fix it YOURSELF. It’s still an ICE driven vehicle just run by computer. I was on my late 30s before anyone but me changed the oil/tranny/dif fluid.

I drive a 06 Civic sedan with 85k 27/39mpg & 96 Miata with 112k 22/28mpg. Both fun to drive, I’ve upgraded the Civics brakes to crossdrilled/slotted ceramic. Next’ll be heavier duty sway bars, springs, struts. I’m improving ground up.

[quote]comus3 wrote:
Get a 1982 Chevy Scottsdale pickup with 8" lift kit[/quote]

I have a 2000 Suburban.

300,000 miles on it.

It’s taken out a light pole, and one deer (so far).

Ex flipped it on it’s side, snapped a rear axle then dumped it back on me.

She said it was totaled.

I fixed it for $500 and a couple weekends of labor.

I think it will last longer then I will.

[quote]pat wrote:

I recently inherited a car from a relative who passed away. It’s a 2003 BMW 325ci with 42K miles. It’s a sweet car to drive, but not super practical. Insurance costs a lot, it only takes premium gas, mpg isn’t great, and when it starts to break I know it’s going to cost a ton to repair.

I’m interested in selling or trading in this car to buy something that’s better on gas, cheaper to insure, and cheaper to repair. I’m thinking about something along the lines of a Hyundai Elantra with the hatchback so I can fit some shit in it when I take trips. I’m estimating my car to be worth around $10K, and would like to avoid spending more than that if possible.

Any recommendations? What do you guys drive?[/quote]

It depends on what you want. Do you want a cool car or just dependable transportation. Are you a car guy? If you don’t care what you drive then don’t waste your money on the bimmer. If you appreciate well engineered cars with power and excellent chassis design then you cannot go wrong with a bimmer.
It depends on who you are. I like bitchin’ cars, so I would be willing to absorb the extra cost for the joy of the drive. But if you are an a to b kind of person, get an a to b kind of car.[/quote]

It is a pleasure to drive.

[quote]JLone wrote:

Da f*ck?

I think you can trade your balls in, straight up. [/quote]

Well, I’m pretty sure a mini van will have a bigger engine than my current ride. Plus, there’s plenty of room for my buddies and if I want to I could take the seats out and haul stuff around. I’d love to have one of those.

[quote]2busy wrote:

[quote]comus3 wrote:
Get a 1982 Chevy Scottsdale pickup with 8" lift kit[/quote]

I have a 2000 Suburban.

300,000 miles on it.

It’s taken out a light pole, and one deer (so far).

Ex flipped it on it’s side, snapped a rear axle then dumped it back on me.

She said it was totaled.

I fixed it for $500 and a couple weekends of labor.

I think it will last longer then I will.[/quote]

That’s badass!

[quote]on edge wrote:
Tesla Model S. Best fuel efficiency of any car on the road. It’s the safest car available. It’s very roomy with tons of space in the front and back. Its fun to drive, it’s faster then that beemer. Yeah it cost a lot but you get a 7000 dollar rebate from the gov and you’re selling two cars so the costs shouldn’t be a problem. Well, maybe a bit of a problem but don’t let that stop you.[/quote]

There’s a Tesla dealership here in DC, and I’ve seen some on the roads. They look sick, but are out of my price range right now. I’m interested in electric cars, but need charging infrastructure and range to improve before one would be practical for me.

cheapest lowest maintenance car you can find and then shove the rest of the money into index funds

cost of a new vehicle > keeping the free vehicle you already own.

seriously op, you sound like an idiot since you seem to think driving a minivan is ok.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

seriously op, you sound like an idiot since you seem to think driving a minivan is ok. [/quote]

Why not another used vehicle that’s cheaper to own though? Although if I’m overestimating the value of my current car than it limits my options quite a bit.

Today I test drived a Toyota 86.

Fully sick bro.

tweet

[quote]Aggv wrote:

seriously op, you sound like an idiot since you seem to think driving a minivan is ok. [/quote]

Why not another used vehicle that’s cheaper to own though? Although if I’m overestimating the value of my current car than it limits my options quite a bit.[/quote]
It’s still a used vehicle so you don’t know if it will be cheaper. Whatever you get will be used/old, probably have more miles than the BMW and won’t have a warranty. Insurance? How much could insurance cost on a 10 year old car? Gas? The BMW gets decent mileage. It was free. Has low miles. Be happy.

[quote]JLone wrote:

Da f*ck?

I think you can trade your balls in, straight up. [/quote]

Well, I’m pretty sure a mini van will have a bigger engine than my current ride. Plus, there’s plenty of room for my buddies and if I want to I could take the seats out and haul stuff around. I’d love to have one of those.[/quote]

I’m sure I’ll get shit for this but since you want A) good gas mileage B) Reliability and C) Roominess for your bros why not look into a Scion xB. They are toyota motors and the 1st model (up until 2007 I think) regularly get 34ish mpg. Plus they are roomy as shit. I’m 6’2 and was able to easily sit behind myself with room to spare.