T Nation

Car Pushing: Transmission

I’d like to push my car for exercise.I t’s a manual transmission. When I leave it in neutral position, it’s too easy to push on flat land. Is it possible too leave the transmission on first speed to have more resistance without causing damage to the engine?

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
I’d like to push my car for exercise.I t’s a manual transmission. When I leave it in neutral position, it’s too easy to push on flat land. Is it possible too leave the transmission on first speed to have more resistance without causing damage to the engine? [/quote]

Probably impossible. Alot of people park their car in gear so if the handbrake malfunctions it won’t go anywhere (parking it in gear acts like a fail safe, so if it’s strong enoguh to hold the car without a handbrake you probably wouldn’t push it anyway).

CAn you get someone to sit in the car and apply gentle pressure to the brake pedal?

Yes technically it is possible.

Since the transmission is in gear you will have to OVERCOME the pressure that is built up in the engine cylinders at which point the engine will “turn-over”.

If you are pushing the car down a hill or the engine seals are leaking air it will make your job easier. (No seal is perfect, there is always a small percentage of “leak down”.)

However you will not be able to go faster than 1st gear allows.

That’s what I though, I would like to know if anyone ever tryed it without damaging their engine?

Just put a little pressure on the emergency brake before you get out and leave it in neutral. If you have an e-brake that clicks, you can use that as a reference to how much resistance you’re using.

Wouldn’t that screw the back tires?

No. They’re designed to handle far more than any human could put them through.

I’ve seen people drive five miles with the brake full on and going 55. Aside from the brakes getting hot and reducing their longevity, no damage was done.

Believe me, you won’t have to use much pressure at all. Just enough to overcome the car’s momentum.

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
That’s what I though, I would like to know if anyone ever tryed it without damaging their engine?[/quote]

Personally never tried it. But I don’t see how it can damage your engine. When you push-start your car (when the starter is out) you are doing the same thing.

However you will damage if you push it backwards when car is in forward gear!

Also, it will be alot easier to push the car in 5th gear than in 1st! Higher gears make the engine turn less, thus easier to move car. (or think about it this way: when you are driving and want to slow down, you down shift into a lower gear)

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
No. They’re designed to handle far more than any human could put them through.

I’ve seen people drive five miles with the brake full on and going 55. Aside from the brakes getting hot and reducing their longevity, no damage was done.

Believe me, you won’t have to use much pressure at all. Just enough to overcome the car’s momentum.[/quote]

if you drive hand brake full at speeds of 55 you would smell burnt rubber and rear brake rotors will warp. but at the speed you will be pushing Jay is right not an issue.

The engine has to be running while you’re doing that. It will definitely work if first gear is very slow.

Pushing a car in the first gear is almost impossible. There is no way, that you could get the engine to spin 1000-2000rpm, while pushing it.

Logically, it seems to be easier to push the car in the highest gear, since you only have to make the engine spin for like 200-500rpm for a walking pace.

However, I wouldn’t try all this stuff, because a car is way too expensive and I don’t know what else could be damage. Just find a hill, where you could push the car upwards. This should do the trick.

1.) Park it on a hill/slight incline. (Have someone in the car to hold the brake when your done)

2.) Pack the car with heavy shit. This can include fat people.

3.) Borrow a bigger car of a friend.

4.) Push your light car faster and faster; time yourself.

5.) Buy/Make a harness and instead of pushing it from behind; strap yourself to it and pull it.

[quote]Andy63477 wrote:
Pushing a car in the first gear is almost impossible. There is no way, that you could get the engine to spin 1000-2000rpm, while pushing it.

Logically, it seems to be easier to push the car in the highest gear, since you only have to make the engine spin for like 200-500rpm for a walking pace.

However, I wouldn’t try all this stuff, because a car is way too expensive and I don’t know what else could be damage. Just find a hill, where you could push the car upwards. This should do the trick.[/quote]

You’d need to have someone in the car, ready to work the brake to do that anyway. If you slipped and fell down, you could run yourself over. Anyone else thinking Monty Python and the twit Olympics?

[quote]Andy63477 wrote:
Just find a hill, where you could push the car upwards. This should do the trick.[/quote]

What happens when you get stuck on the hill?

Listen to Jay and hit the gym, they seem to know what they are talking about.

Use a few clicks of the e-brake and you’ll be fine. If you really want to fine tune it, you can let some air out of the tires.

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
I’d like to push my car for exercise.I t’s a manual transmission. When I leave it in neutral position, it’s too easy to push on flat land. Is it possible too leave the transmission on first speed to have more resistance without causing damage to the engine? [/quote]

Good luck moving it in first gear. The gearing is set up to where the engine and transmission have the mechanical advantage to turn the wheels. That means the tires have that much of a mechanical disadvantage because they have to overcome that gearing in order to get the car moving. 5th gear may help some, but you still have the differential to deal with, which has a gear ratio anywhere from 3.00:1 to 4.10:1.

And did people actually say use the parking brake? Really, wear out a component of the car just for the sake of a workout? Not so much.

Throw some fat friends in the car, or push faster.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
CPerfringens wrote:
I’d like to push my car for exercise.I t’s a manual transmission. When I leave it in neutral position, it’s too easy to push on flat land. Is it possible too leave the transmission on first speed to have more resistance without causing damage to the engine?

Good luck moving it in first gear. The gearing is set up to where the engine and transmission have the mechanical advantage to turn the wheels. That means the tires have that much of a mechanical disadvantage because they have to overcome that gearing in order to get the car moving.

5th gear may help some, but you still have the differential to deal with, which has a gear ratio anywhere from 3.00:1 to 4.10:1.

And did people actually say use the parking brake? Really, wear out a component of the car just for the sake of a workout? Not so much.

Throw some fat friends in the car, or push faster.[/quote]

One or 2 clicks on the parking brake aren’t going to hurt anything. you probably won’t even be able to push them enough to warm them up.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:

And did people actually say use the parking brake? Really, wear out a component of the car just for the sake of a workout? Not so much.

One or 2 clicks on the parking brake aren’t going to hurt anything. you probably won’t even be able to push them enough to warm them up.[/quote]

If the brakes are dragging at all, brake lining will get worn off. That 1 or 2 clicks will eventually be less resistance, so you’d have to go another couple clicks and wear down the lining some more. The only progression here is how fast you’d have to buy new rear brakes or parking brake shoes.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
One or 2 clicks on the parking brake aren’t going to hurt anything. you probably won’t even be able to push them enough to warm them up.[/quote]

Exactly.

Getting the car moving is the hard part. Once it’s rolling, it’s easy. Just put the brake on enough where the car can’t gain momentum. This isn’t rocket science.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:

And did people actually say use the parking brake? Really, wear out a component of the car just for the sake of a workout? Not so much.

One or 2 clicks on the parking brake aren’t going to hurt anything. you probably won’t even be able to push them enough to warm them up.

If the brakes are dragging at all, brake lining will get worn off. That 1 or 2 clicks will eventually be less resistance, so you’d have to go another couple clicks and wear down the lining some more. The only progression here is how fast you’d have to buy new rear brakes or parking brake shoes.
[/quote]

Yes, they are going to wear, slightly. There will also be wear on the axels, and tires. So you probably shouldn’t push a car because you will wear out the tires.

Tires generally only last about 50,000 miles or so (with proper alignment). You can get upwards of 100,000 to 120,000 miles out of rear brakes. You might have to change out the rear brakes 1 stop sign sooner.

Unless you are like VanDam in universal soldier and can push a car 45 miles an hour uphill.