Car Guys

Fellas,my car wont start and I have to work tomorrow.There is no noise when i turn the key,the lights come on,no pressure from the gas pedal either.If you have any clues as to what it could be please pm or post here.I’m thinking its prob spark plug or ignition.

Could be the starter. Had the same “symptoms” with my truck but there was a little click that accompanied it.

At first guess, its something to do with the spark plugs or ignition, like you said.

Looks like youre gonna have to take the bus tommorow, and have someone look at it when you get home.

You could try rubbing the dashboard.

Check the voltage and try jumping it. If your relays and fuel pump aren’t energizing, but you have the voltage to run a interior light, it very well could be that the battery may just not putting out enough amps. Either that, or you’ve got a “broken” circuit, but I’ll put money on a bum battery.

9 times out of ten a problem like that is the battery. It takes a lot less power to light the little interior light than it does to start it…so even though your radio works or your interior lights are on, it could still be the battery. I would just try jumping it first. If there is no change, than you’re looking at some other problem. Starter problems almost always click…so it’s a good bet it’s not that.

[quote]E-man wrote:
Could be the starter. Had the same “symptoms” with my truck but there was a little click that accompanied it.[/quote]

Whack it with a hammer, could be the pring in it.

[quote]miniross wrote:
E-man wrote:
Could be the starter. Had the same “symptoms” with my truck but there was a little click that accompanied it.

Whack it with a hammer, could be the pring in it.[/quote]

The solenoid might be stuck.

What kind of car?

Some of the newer cars require you to have your foot on the brake when you start them.

If lights come on it’s not the battery.

It’s probably the battery. If the battery is between 5-7 yrs old, it’s probably shot. The lights can work when the battery is weak, but you may not have enough juice left to engage the starter.

A clicking noise when turning the key but no starting, is usually the battery as well, but can be the starter.

You might want to clean off the battery terminals if there is corrosion and if it isn’t a sealed batter check the fluid/water levels.

I’d jump the battery, let it run at idle for about 10 minutes if it starts at all, and then drive it around the block or to the nearest open garage so a mechanic can check it out for you.

If you shut the car off after driving it and it won’t start again it’s 1 of 3 things…

1. The battery is shot and won’t hold a charge.

2. The alternator is shot and not supplying enough juice to recharge the battery while you are driving.

3. The alternator and battery are both shot because the battery has not been recharging properly because of the bad alternator and has been working “too hard” to start/run the motor.

Good luck.

I feel like an ass,but turns out my car has a kill switch…my knee must’ve hit when I got out.But thanks for the help.

[quote]hedo wrote:
What kind of car?

Some of the newer cars require you to have your foot on the brake when you start them.[/quote]

The switch for that is near the brake pedal. Take a look down there and see if the wires are corroded. For an automatic, if the switch fails it will usually just prevent you from shifting out of park.