T Nation

Car Audio

[quote]Split wrote:
so i just run my speaker wire from the speakers right to the amps? or am i somehow hooking them up via rca cables?[/quote]

correct, from the speakers to the amp. the rca sends the signal from the head unit to the amp.

[quote]LillGuy001 wrote:
Definately run RCAs from the front of the vehicle rather than tap into the speaker wires themselves. And run as far away from the power cable as possible.

If your amp is a higer end sony then there should be more than one set of the RCAs.

Someone previously had mentioned that hooking the subs up in parallel would create a two ohm load. That is if you are using 2 subs rather than the 4. 4 subs in parallel creates a one ohm load. That is if the subs are all 4 ohm.

Yes two 4 ohmer’s in parralel will give two ohms, that’s why I wanted more info on that. He’s planing on using the 2 channel Sony to drive the 4 subs, so each channel would drive 2 subs. Of course if he ran double parallel he’d end up with one ohm total, bad plan for sure.

I may have missed it but i am unsure if it was started what the impedance of the subs are and what the 1000 watt amp is stable to. Those will be some of the major determining factors. Also i would check to make sure that the guy at the stereo store sold you a sufficient amp kit. The power and ground wire should be a minimum of 4GA.
See Ya[/quote]

Yes two 4 ohmer’s in parallel will give two ohms, that’s why I wanted more info on that. He’s planing on using the 2 channel Sony to drive the 4 subs, so each channel would drive 2 subs. Of course if he ran double parallel he’d end up with one ohm total, bad plan for sure.

He’s using the 1k to drive the 4 MB’s, yup wiring is all important, 4gauge min.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
The one thing that always bothered me and prevented me from doing my own amp run is hiding the cables. Whats the easiest way to do that wthout ripping up the carpet or snaking it through the body?

Could I just use a run from one of the back speakers and connect that to the amp or would I have to run a dedicated line from the head unit into the amp?[/quote]

In my experience the easiet way to this is just remove the sill plate cover at the door. It’s usually help in place with a few screws, then the edge of the carpet will be right there. You’ll also need to do this all the way back and maybe pull the rear seat and/or backrest. Not as hard as it may sound.

You may also want to remove the footwell trim panels to hide the head unit wiring running back to the amps. It’s pretty easy once you have a look.

The “T-Nation” of car audio:

www.clubknowledge.com/Car_Audio_FAQ/forum/

Great forum. Better than any other I’ve seen.

They’ll help with any installation, product suggestions, etc.

Split, I’m a self-made pro in these matters, and i’m not trying to sound cocky, but take this as an easy lesson learned on this one…you don’t know enough to even know what you don’t know. If you want a good installation that sounds good with the equipment you currently have, hunt down either a reputable shop in your area (good luck, there aren’t many left), or find a guy with a banging system and ask for his help. You’ll be glad you did in the long run. Multiple amps is not difficult if you know what you’re doing, but for a first timer, you’re gonna run into trouble. Even if you get it all installed correctly, it will be nearly impossible for a novice to properly set all the levels to get the maximum sound and tone from your gear. Good luck.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:

They’ll help with any installation, product suggestions, etc.[/quote]

Great, thnx.

[quote]Split wrote:
there in an EQ built into my deck (upper end sony) and the 770 is a sony explode amp. So what your saying is i would be better off installing all 4 subs vs 2, as it would work better?[/quote]

I’m not saying that exactly. It will be asier for your amp to run 2 instead of 4. If your amp can handle 4, do it. Just make sure it’ll drive them without problem.

[quote]gitrpumped wrote:
Split, I’m a self-made pro in these matters, and i’m not trying to sound cocky, but take this as an easy lesson learned on this one…you don’t know enough to even know what you don’t know. If you want a good installation that sounds good with the equipment you currently have, hunt down either a reputable shop in your area (good luck, there aren’t many left), or find a guy with a banging system and ask for his help. You’ll be glad you did in the long run. Multiple amps is not difficult if you know what you’re doing, but for a first timer, you’re gonna run into trouble. Even if you get it all installed correctly, it will be nearly impossible for a novice to properly set all the levels to get the maximum sound and tone from your gear. Good luck.[/quote]

i have to disagree. you much like myself and i’m sure allot of the people into stereos tend to be 'self made pro’s". if we can do it he can do it. i started out just by disecting the system my parents had put into our family van.

that was my first car(a big safe tank). after that it just takes time patience and a little bit of luck. for years after that i did all my own work. except when it came to my cadillac, that was a show piece and way out of my league. i always had the boxes made for me as well, thats a bitch and i’m no good at measuring twice. look at it this way, if all these idiots in the world can install stereos all day long, why can’t you? just do it. having somebody around to help would be great too, unfortunately i did’nt have that luxury. talk to your local installers, most of them are pretty cool.

[quote]pbody03 wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:

They’ll help with any installation, product suggestions, etc.

Great, thnx.[/quote]

No problem. They’ve saved me a lot of money.

One thing they almost always recomend is to do installations yourself.

They’ll walk you through it and explain what should be done, even if you wanted to make a plexiglass box, with just the right volume for your sub(s).