T Nation

Captains of Crush Grippers for Forearms

A few months ago I injured my left wrist pretty badly, and as a consequence I can no longer perform wrist curls or reverse wrist curls for my left forearm. As a result it hasn’t really grown much in the past few months, especially in comparison to the rest of me, and this is also effecting my performance on other lifts.

However, recently my friend gave me some old Captains of Crush Grippers he didn’t want, and I’m wondering how good these would be for building up some mass in my left forearm again, and perhaps if there are any areas of the forearm they neglect or something. I also need a plan or routine of what to do as I haven’t really done any serious grip work in a while. Help would be greatly appreciated.
(I have the Trainer, No 1 and No 1.5 if it helps)

I was looking at some of these on craigslist yesterday. I have no experience with them but thought it would help with my forearm training.

have a read here
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/lets_talk_forearms

[quote]alit4 wrote:
have a read here
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/lets_talk_forearms[/quote]

Thanks for that I’m pretty much sorted now :slight_smile:

I’m personally not sold on the idea that grip training adds any serious size to the forearms. it will help, no doubt, but I feel wrist curls, reverse/hammer/pinwheel curls and sledgehammer movements will do much more for size - from a bbing perspective of course.

And by grip training I was referring to “crushing grip strength” training. Static holds, farmer walk with ehavy DBs etc will be good mass builders imo.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
And by grip training I was referring to “crushing grip strength” training. Static holds, farmer walk with ehavy DBs etc will be good mass builders imo.[/quote]

Yeah, I’d have to agree that traditional BB’ing movements are the way to go. Still, the guy with the most impressive forearms (and grip strength) that I have ever met is a huge proponent of grip training. Whether that’s just thanks to his genetics or whether it’s a result of his training, I don’t know for certain. But it certainly hasn’t hurt him.

You could always do static holds with the grippers as well if you felt that support strength was better for building mass.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
I’m personally not sold on the idea that grip training adds any serious size to the forearms. it will help, no doubt, but I feel wrist curls, reverse/hammer/pinwheel curls and sledgehammer movements will do much more for size - from a bbing perspective of course.[/quote]

Hmmm I dunno man, whilst its true that I’ve seen some people with amazing forearms but who had pretty pathetic grip strength, I’ve never seen anyone with amazing grip strength but pathetic forearms.

John Brookfield (the grip guru) argues that tendon strength and neurological factors have more to do with grip strength then muscle mass. If you’ve seen pics of the people that have closed the captain of crush # 3 a lot of them don’t have forearms that stand out at all.

[quote]banco wrote:
John Brookfield (the grip guru) argues that tendon strength and neurological factors have more to do with grip strength then muscle mass. If you’ve seen pics of the people that have closed the captain of crush # 3 a lot of them don’t have forearms that stand out at all. [/quote]

The guy I mentioned (who has the most impressive set of forearms I have ever seen in person) closed the #3 on his very first try, with no previous training on the COC grippers. He can also rep the #3 like it’s a toy. He’s also about a cm or two away from the #4 as well.

I’m not arguing with Brookfield about tendon strength and neurological factors though. And obviously, genetics will play a role in the ultimate level of grip strength that someone is able to achieve.

But, much like Powerlifters and Oly lifters, tendon strength, neurological factors, insertion points and such factors can only take you so far. Eventually you will have to add muscle mass if you wish to continue to add grip strength. And the strongest will usually be among the biggest as well.