Captain of Crush Question

[quote]2thepain wrote:
I agree that hand size plays a big part in the ability of a person to close a high number gripper. I have a #2,#2.5,and #3. Personally I don’t know anyone who can close the #3. I train with the #2, and can close the#2.5, but it is tough. I have descent strength in my hands but I also have large hands.

Other powerlifters that I train with are of equal stength but with smaller hands can’t even close the #2. I think the #2 is rated at 185lbs and the #3 is rated at 265lbs. Can anyone tell me what the #2.5 is rated at? I can’t find it anywhere, not even on the website. [/quote]

I think the half sizes were meant to fall exactly halfway between the whole sizes, so that would put the #2.5 at 225lbs.

It took me over 6mos to close the number 2 and i’ve deaded over 600 in the past. However, I would buy the set so you can perform negatives and cheat reps with the upper levels. Forced reps worked well for me! I suggest you work on your pinch grip as well, it seems to correlate more to crushing strength then holding strength.

I have the COC #1 and #2. I can get the #2 for 2-3 reps on a good day. I tried another brand, not sure if it was heavy grip or beef builder but it had “200” cut into the handle so I picked up the “100” and it felt like nothing and then I proceded to slam the “200” about 15 times with each hand it wasn’t as tough as my #1 COC which is rated at 140 and no where near the #2!

I would start with the trainer and the #1 and then move up as needed. I also had an Ivanko SuperGripper but prefer my COC hands down.

when closing the no. 1 or 2 can you hold the circle of the spring with the other hand, so you can get a better grip, if so it’s a lot easier, but just using 1 hand i find it hard to get a good grip

[quote]rocktober wrote:
when closing the no. 1 or 2 can you hold the circle of the spring with the other hand, so you can get a better grip, if so it’s a lot easier, but just using 1 hand i find it hard to get a good grip[/quote]

Learning how to “set” the gripper is an important skill, especially if you have smaller hands and when you get up into the higher grippers.

Personally though I don’t like the “ring” method of setting. My hands are just not big enough to get a good grip utilizing this method. Personally I like to use the non working hand to help close the gripper far enough that I can get a good grip on it. Then I let go with my non working hand and close it. Works a lot better for me.

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]UpChucker wrote:
I have the COC #1 and #2. I can get the #2 for 2-3 reps on a good day. I tried another brand, not sure if it was heavy grip or beef builder but it had “200” cut into the handle so I picked up the “100” and it felt like nothing and then I proceded to slam the “200” about 15 times with each hand it wasn’t as tough as my #1 COC which is rated at 140 and no where near the #2!

[/quote]

Those 100 and 200 grippers you felt were the heavy grippers and they are much easier to close than the coc or the beef builders.

They had a COC booth at the Arnold, fun little things.

Not to toot my own horn, but i closed the #2 on the first try, i was only 20 at the time so they kinda made a big deal out of it, ,(most likely because they thought flattery would cause me to drop some coin at their booth)they told me i should look into the arm wrestling circuit.

This was when i was doing WS4SB, and i was doing a ton of grip work, in the program, as well as added stuff i did during the “strongman” workout.

i would suggest getting a lower level one for reps, and then a higher one to work towards max strength.

–JB

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
They had a COC booth at the Arnold, fun little things.

Not to toot my own horn, but i closed the #2 on the first try, i was only 20 at the time so they kinda made a big deal out of it, ,(most likely because they thought flattery would cause me to drop some coin at their booth)they told me i should look into the arm wrestling circuit.

This was when i was doing WS4SB, and i was doing a ton of grip work, in the program, as well as added stuff i did during the “strongman” workout.

i would suggest getting a lower level one for reps, and then a higher one to work towards max strength.

–JB[/quote]

Wow. Good job WS4JB. Have you worked on them since then? If so, have you closed the 2.5? How about the 3?

I’ve only ever heard of a couple of people who closed the #2 on their first try (and only 1 that closed the #3 on their first try). I know it took me quite a while before I was able to close the #2.

no, being that im a broke ass college student, i havent been able to purchase one yet, but ive always been into grip work, i was probably the only 3rd grader to ever beg my mother to buy me those plastic type grip things from a yardsale. Ya know the ones that look kinda like a COC but with plastic handles and the metal spring.

when i get some spending money id like to pick one up.

–JB