Capoeira vs. Muay Thai (Video)

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Nice, Were they fighting over who was gonna fix the backed-up toilet?[/quote]

That was funny, DT :slight_smile:

i dont know any style of capoeira that is as acrobatic as that… lateef went to the junior olympics for gymnastics and I believe also the university of new mexico…

[quote]sic wrote:
chrismcl wrote:
I never realized that my favorite fighter all these years in Tekken - Eddie Gordo was a capoeira fighter. I always just thought that he was supposed to be a breakdancer who liked to get in fights.

Lol, my thought exactly! I used to love playing that dude, he kicked so much ass.[/quote]

Whatever. He was the Button-Masher’s Dream Character. King is by far the better fighter, and you actually have to know what you are doing. I used to stomp anybody and everybody who chalenged me with him, Tiger, or Christy. Now, there are some people who actually know how to play with him, but they/you are the minority.

[quote]chubs108 wrote:
Toom yong goom or something like that…I think the translation is Master of the Beasts or something like that. I got it at home (I’m overseas right now) in my collection. [/quote]

Tom Yum Goom is Sweet and Sour Beef… I have the menu right in front of me…

sorry for hijack.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
For you martial arts lovers out there, here’s a very cool fight, Capoeira (Lateef Crowder) vs Muay Thai (Tony Jaa, of Ong-bak fame):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=402279758929009061

I believe the scene is from Tony’s latest film, The Protector (US title). Someone correct me if I’m wrong![/quote]

I don’t know which is more stupid, the fight scene or the lousy music.

Seeing as this thread has been resurected…

Here’s the trailer:

I think it’s bloody awesome.

Capoeira wasn’t designed as a fighting martial art, and you can’t really understand it without knowing the historical and cultural influences. In a nutshell, it was used by South American slaves to practice martial arts while combining it with music to make it look like a dance. I highly doubt it was intended for anyone to actually fight like that.

Fans of Capoeira should check out an older movie called “Only The Strong.” Only the Strong (1993) - IMDb
The story is a pretty standard one (teacher in inner city school tries to make a difference), but he teaches the kids Capoeira. As far as martial art films go, it’s not too bad.

The UK trailer:

Try droping some acid while watching it. You just might get an epileptic fit.

PS: Watch all the other related clips, there are some wicked scenes there.

[quote]Leafblighter wrote:
Capoeira wasn’t designed as a fighting martial art, and you can’t really understand it without knowing the historical and cultural influences. In a nutshell, it was used by South American slaves to practice martial arts while combining it with music to make it look like a dance. I highly doubt it was intended for anyone to actually fight like that.
[/quote]

Just another bullshit movie with unrealistic fighting scenes. Is anyone surprised by this?

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Very true and an excellent point. The weakness of Capoeira is if you get a hold on the person they’re pretty fucked. [/quote]

Not at all. I take capoeira and its not what everyone here makes it out to be. If you come straight from brazil like most of them do then you should have the ju-jitsu backround attached to the style.

Canadian capoeira howover is different, one of my old teachers came from brazil so he tough my class both standing fighting and ground fighting.

Why does this have to turn into a pissing contest about how effective copeira is? It’s a redundant topic.

I mean, I love MMA, i’ve trained MMA but can’t we just appreciate the clip for what it is…a movie…entertainment!

[quote]DT wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
Very true and an excellent point. The weakness of Capoeira is if you get a hold on the person they’re pretty fucked.

Not at all. I take capoeira and its not what everyone here makes it out to be. If you come straight from brazil like most of them do then you should have the ju-jitsu backround attached to the style.

Canadian capoeira howover is different, one of my old teachers came from brazil so he tough my class both standing fighting and ground fighting.
[/quote]

Lateef Crowder’s demo reel is impressive as well.

http://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/zerogravity#lateef_demovideo_2_03

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Why does this have to turn into a pissing contest about how effective copeira is? It’s a redundant topic.

I mean, I love MMA, i’ve trained MMA but can’t we just appreciate the clip for what it is…a movie…entertainment![/quote]

No, sorry we can’t do that. Capoeira is bullshit.