T Nation

Can't Take Supplements

Basically, I’m on some heavy-duty medication to help me with some mental disorders. (Laugh all you want). They have a multitude of pretty severe side effects, and basically I can’t take any supplements other than fish oil and a multi.

So my question is, how big of a problem is it for me to not take supplements? Will I still be able to reach my goal of being 240 lbs. at 6 foot and around 12% BF without supps? Right now I am 6’0 and 195 at about 11% BF.

Thanks for your help.

well , What are you on.

Well, right now I take a GNC brand of fish oil pills (6 on a training day, 4 on off days), a GNC multi (the “sport” version), and Optimum Nutrition whey.

I really can’t take anything else because it either stresses my liver or fucks with my brain (like ZMA, Alpha Male, Spike, ect).

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
Basically, I’m on some heavy-duty medication to help me with some mental disorders. (Laugh all you want). They have a multitude of pretty severe side effects, and basically I can’t take any supplements other than fish oil and a multi.

So my question is, how big of a problem is it for me to not take supplements? Will I still be able to reach my goal of being 240 lbs. at 6 foot and around 12% BF without supps? Right now I am 6’0 and 195 at about 11% BF.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

What about ZMA? Metabolic Drive? REZ-V?

Lift big and eat big, you will be fine.

I am not a doctor, yadda, yadda, but I think a plain whey protein is fine. After all, it’s just protein.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1067084

Better ask your doctor, thou’.

Good luck.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
Basically, I’m on some heavy-duty medication to help me with some mental disorders. (Laugh all you want). They have a multitude of pretty severe side effects, and basically I can’t take any supplements other than fish oil and a multi.

So my question is, how big of a problem is it for me to not take supplements? Will I still be able to reach my goal of being 240 lbs. at 6 foot and around 12% BF without supps? Right now I am 6’0 and 195 at about 11% BF.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Dont be suprised, I have taken some serious shit and supplements and lifted all at the same time…

That might explain some of my current behavior, but Im proof you can. I once had to take a Lithium derrivative and Seroquil in High School and I lifted everyday. My coach never knew, but I felt it weaken me and I fought it. Take a multi and some protein, and when you get off the shit take some of the good stuff like BCAA’s and such. Your muscles dont know the goddamn difference, only your brain does.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
Basically, I’m on some heavy-duty medication to help me with some mental disorders. (Laugh all you want). They have a multitude of pretty severe side effects, and basically I can’t take any supplements other than fish oil and a multi.

So my question is, how big of a problem is it for me to not take supplements? Will I still be able to reach my goal of being 240 lbs. at 6 foot and around 12% BF without supps? Right now I am 6’0 and 195 at about 11% BF.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

First, why would we laugh? We mercilessly mock the people who clearly aren’t taking their medication, not those who are sticking with the plan.

Second, I honestly don’t know whether or not you can get another 40lbs on your frame naturally. But, what you might want to do is go look at pictures of strong/musclemen from the pre-supplement era. That’ll give you an idea of what people managed to accomplish just from hard work and lots of food. Ignore the goofy face-hair, though. If none of them has the sort of physique you want to achieve, then maybe what you want would be very difficult without supplements.

But, even if that is so, that doesn’t mean you can never get as big as you’d like. Maybe in a few years the pharmaceutical companies will come up with a drug that will replace what you’re on now with fewer side effects.

The only suggestion I would make, and I am not a doctor, would be to keep your diet as clean as you can live with. It sounds like these drugs are going to take a toll on your body, and the best thing you can do is to give your body the right raw materials so it can process them with the least damage.

Hey thanks for the replies fellas.

Anyway, like I said, all I take right now is whey, fish oil, and a multi. I would really like to take ZMA and Spike, but anything that has an effect on my brain isn’t healthy. Shit, I accidentally had some caffenine from a soda the other night and I felt like I was on meth. But anyway, I’m just gonna try to do the best with the basics and see where I can go.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
Anyway, like I said, all I take right now is whey, fish oil, and a multi. I would really like to take ZMA and Spike, but anything that has an effect on my brain isn’t healthy. Shit, I accidentally had some caffenine from a soda the other night and I felt like I was on meth. But anyway, I’m just gonna try to do the best with the basics and see where I can go. [/quote]

Stay away from Spike and any other stimulants. Perhaps even your doctor already told you so.

I’m not sure about ZMA, seems harmless to me, but your doctor should know.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
Hey thanks for the replies fellas.

Anyway, like I said, all I take right now is whey, fish oil, and a multi. I would really like to take ZMA and Spike, but anything that has an effect on my brain isn’t healthy. Shit, I accidentally had some caffenine from a soda the other night and I felt like I was on meth. But anyway, I’m just gonna try to do the best with the basics and see where I can go. [/quote]

Stay away from Spike and Hot-Rox. ZMA would only help. The magnesium seems to have a nice calming effect.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
Well, right now I take a GNC brand of fish oil pills (6 on a training day, 4 on off days), a GNC multi (the “sport” version), and Optimum Nutrition whey.

I really can’t take anything else because it either stresses my liver or fucks with my brain (like ZMA, Alpha Male, Spike, ect).

[/quote] medicnes not supps
beacuse then i can give you some advice via web md.

[quote]Gambles wrote:
IronGame08 wrote:
Well, right now I take a GNC brand of fish oil pills (6 on a training day, 4 on off days), a GNC multi (the “sport” version), and Optimum Nutrition whey.

I really can’t take anything else because it either stresses my liver or fucks with my brain (like ZMA, Alpha Male, Spike, ect).

medicnes not supps
beacuse then i can give you some advice via web md.

[/quote]
Or, he can listen to his fucking doctor rather than the 16-year-old who has internet access.

Dude, do what your doctor tells you to do.

all you really need is a quality diet. Protien and fish oil just help you meet your nutritional goals.

eat lots of food, lift lots of weight, and get plenty of rest.

Suplements only play a very small role and if you can really eat right you will get much better results then 75% of the people taking suplements.

[quote]IronGame08 wrote:
Will I still be able to reach my goal of being 240 lbs. at 6 foot and around 12% BF without supps?[/quote]
I haven’t reached those stats myself, but I do know guys who are very built that have 3 square meals a day - period.

I think if you work hard and take in the calories you’re onto a winner. I go for months at a time without taking anything more exotic than vitamins & gain fine.

Basically, I think the answer to your question is ‘Yes’ you can.