Can't Take a Hit

I think these things are quite individual and genetic… Take fighters like Hunt, he can take a Crocop left kick in the head and be just as fine, LeBanner on the other hand, can’t take half of that… I think it is hard to “learn” to take a hit, if you have a glass jaw, you have a glass jaw… But taking up krav maga, getting new friends, hanging out at better places… would be good tips… :slight_smile:

If you’re bigger, taller, and you can’t figure out what to do when someone hits you, you need some Alpha Male.

[quote]j281 wrote:
kick him in the nuts while screaming “let go of my purse!”[/quote]

I just spewed all over my screen when I read that. ahahah

[quote]j281 wrote:
kick him in the nuts while screaming “let go of my purse!”[/quote]

This gets my vote, pussies.

In the words of Bas Rutten,

“Never underestimate the kick to the groin”

What’s with all this “you can’t train to take a hit” talk?

You can train to be able to take a shit load of pain. And I’m sure that (for example) a 145lb 6’ guy wouldn’t be able to take a punch as well as that same guy after he gained 80lbs of LBM and after having a few very rough years toughening him up.

I’m not claiming to know specifics on how to train to take a punch, but I don’t think everyone takes a punch the same way for their whole life regardless of what they’ve done. I don’t think it’s purely genetic.

buy a helmet

You can get accustomed to the feeling that follows being punched in the face and therefore be able to react much better. I have lost a street fight because the first punch shocked me and I basically didn’t know what to do next, even though I wasn’t knocked out or anything. This is what happens to most people and that’s usually why the first punch wins.

If you are someone who is used to getting hit (boxer or thai boxer, whatever), you’re gonna be able to react much better than the normal guy. That is “training to take a hit”. But, it doesn’t matter how long you train, if it’s a good punch then you’re gonna go down.

Original Poster:

Man up. I realize you’re probably a young dude, but the internet is not the place to discuss how you got your ass whooped. YOu didn’t have a choice but to fight in this first one, but the next one, you will have a choice. Whether you let this one make you a bitch and cause you to back down, is on you. If he wants to let it go then by all means, just drop the whole thing. But standing toe to toe with someone who’s already kicked your ass will show courage and you’ll be glad you did it (a couple weeks later anyway, after you heal up). Trust me, I’ve been there.

I’m not an expert or anything but dont you think that having a strong neck would help you take a hit?

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
buy a helmet

[/quote]

Agreed

haha guys I was joking about the nationality thing.

why must I keep throwing this out there.

As the great Dalton once said, “No one ever wins a fight”.

Seriously, this is mostly genetics… if it was possible to train this, don’t you think fighters like LeBanner would do something about it? On the opposite side you have guys like me, numbnuts that can take any beating… :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s what you do. Go find a decent sized oak tree, and start ramming your face into it. Start lightly and work your way up. Train every day, and gradually build up the force over a couple of weeks until you can perform a running faceplant into the trunk without getting knocked out.

Sure, it’s going to break your nose, but oh man… when that dude sees your mangled-ass face coming at him a second time, he’ll be so horrified he won’t be able to react.

Let us know how it goes down, but please don’t post screenshots. Save those for the kids on Halloween.

Alright thanks for the input guys. I think I’m just going to try and let this blow over. If he actually physically confronts me, I’m not taking the first punch.

I think the reason this guy is such a confident fighter is because he is usually the one throwing the punches not taking them. Once I actually hit him it will probably even up the fight a fair amount. I don’t want to get “knocked the fuck out” again lol.

What you must do is entirely dependent on what outcome you want to achieve. If your goal is to re-establish your honor, then you can’t choose a middle path. That is, you can either apologize to him and make peace, or you can fight him and win. If you hold a grudge or do not resolve the issue, it will stay an open wound.

If you partially attack him, or only humiliate him, he’ll probably try to retaliate in kind. As such, one would have to defeat such a person in such a mode that he would never wish to risk defeat again, or that he would not be capable.

TVG, what you just said there is the pretty much the only usefull thing on this thread. he usually wins because he hits first, especially when the other person isn’t looking. paying attention and looking for “signs” like the guy tensing up is all well and good, but the sucker punch is pretty much the only thing that’s going to be a high percentage move.

maybe your can’t train to get used to “taking a hit”, but you can train to respond better than covering your face and turning your back. it takes ALOT of training to react properly to a hit. if you’re training consistently over time in full-contact sparring, with good instruction you can develop the “natural” reaction to respond when getting hit, even if it is just duck and cover.

check out Rodney King’s (no, not THAT Rodney King) Crazy Monkey system, and other stuff from Straight Blast Gym. Their teaching methods are phenomenal for getting the right reaction.

i use it to teach beginners in striking. it’s great to get them sparring effectively, as getting hit is part of the “training”, so by the time we get to full-on sparring, it’s not a huge jump from theory (hitting the pads) to practice (getting hit), it’s one complete process.

The thing is though guys, even if I do beat him up, which would be suprising to be honest if you look at the huge amount of more fighting experience he’s had over me, things will just escalate. There’s no way this guy would let it go if I even hit him. I would actually be worried about getting stabbed.

[quote]TVG wrote:
The thing is though guys, even if I do beat him up, which would be suprising to be honest if you look at the huge amount of more fighting experience he’s had over me, things will just escalate. There’s no way this guy would let it go if I even hit him. I would actually be worried about getting stabbed. [/quote]

jesus christ. just chill out, its almost the end of the year, then you guys will graduate and high school will be a whole other story. id get yourself a level 4 kevlar though.

So you either have to go to the cops and press charges or hide from him until he is no longer part of you life.

If he does attack you again keep your chin tucked into your chest and try to make sure all his punches are hitting your head. He eventually will get tired of breaking his hand on your head. There really are very few people that naturally have a good chin. There are just ones that know how to keep it tucked in.