Can't Squats or Deadlift Heavy

what can i do if i cant deadlift and squat heavy?

Squat lighter for higher reps? Same with the deadlifts?

Building my self back up from back injurys, High reps seem fine for my back with lower weights.
Deadlifts are done with kettle bells sumo style, cant deadlift with bar atm

Asking for advise on programing for higher rep squats 5 sets 20 reps a set?

ATM im doing 2 warm up sets of deadlifts and 2 working sets 8-10 reps, 2x 55lbs kettlebells with bands threw the handles to make it heavy at the top

Any advise would be most helpfull

I think you’re on the right track. Different variations of deads and squats should help. Trying to keep your back out of the equation completely would be a bad idea imo. Front squats or goblet squats could be beneficial, straight leg deads, hyper ext, etc… should also help.

Sounds like you need to strengthen the weak link to progress. However, without knowing your exact situation, no one can give you an exact answer. Best of luck.

Also, if you’re not eating enough this may hinder you. See what happens to your strength after eating all you like for 2 or 3 days.

Also, do sets of only 4 reps for a while. 8 to 10 is like endurance!

You don’t need to squat or deadlift unless you’re a powerlifter, that being said I still think what you’re doing is good for rehab ie getting blood into the affected areas.

I wouldn’t force yourself into any sort of programming, if I were you I’d just go by feel and keep the reps above 8 while using other exercises to work the muscle groups.

Edit: I’m assuming this is a lower back issue

[quote]trav123456 wrote:
You don’t need to squat or deadlift unless you’re a powerlifter[/quote]

??

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

[quote]trav123456 wrote:
You don’t need to squat or deadlift unless you’re a powerlifter[/quote]

??[/quote]

I’m just saying that if he has a serious lower back issue then there are probably better choices for back and leg growth.

I <3 squats and deads

Eh i believe unless his issue has to do with cartilage between vertebrae or actual nerve damage, strengthening his lower back could only help him. Though i would ease into it, and ensure that proper diet and appropriate stretching were instilled.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
Eh i believe unless his issue has to do with cartilage between vertebrae or actual nerve damage, strengthening his lower back could only help him. Though i would ease into it, and ensure that proper diet and appropriate stretching were instilled.[/quote]

Bingo! Also the 4 reps suggestion is just plain wrong. He simply can’t handle the weight right now. This isn’t about strength right now, it’s getting back. Once he is healthy and balanced the strength aspect can be added in. Otherwise he will just be spinning his tires. Read Alwyn Cosgroves Releasing the brake. Great article.

I was just stating that he can use other exercises to continue his mass building efforts while he rehabs his lower back, those exercises while they are the traditional exercises used for strength training aren’t the end all to bodybuilding.

Anyways I think he’s on the right track anyways. If he posted this in the PL forum then I wouldn’t have said anything obviously. Actually it might be a good idea to post this thread there since I’m sure there are some big deadlifters there that have made it through injuries.

Good luck

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
Eh i believe unless his issue has to do with cartilage between vertebrae or actual nerve damage, strengthening his lower back could only help him. Though i would ease into it, and ensure that proper diet and appropriate stretching were instilled.[/quote]

Bingo! Also the 4 reps suggestion is just plain wrong. He simply can’t handle the weight right now. This isn’t about strength right now, it’s getting back. Once he is healthy and balanced the strength aspect can be added in. Otherwise he will just be spinning his tires. Read Alwyn Cosgroves Releasing the brake. Great article.[/quote]

It helps if we know what kind of back injuries too. I think many of us have had back injuries, and if the guy has already gone through a period of 8-10 reps, then there comes a time to move back to heavy weight/lower reps.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

I have permanent compressed disc/nerve damage to my L2, 3, and 4 areas. It used to bother me when I was a vanity lifter (chest, bis, and abs only). Hasn’t bothered me ever since I started dead-lifting and squatting.

Thx for the comments

back injury is bugling disc at L4-L5 L5-S1

Its hard when ur injured i really love squats and deads so looks like im doing ok for the time being

Was a thought i had by doing 20 rep squat sets id be under the bar for longer there for working my assiant muscles more? Slowly building them up to handle higher weights when i can return to it

Iv gone threw alotta rehab work as i had some mid spine issues as well basicly 9 months of soild mobility work bodys is pretty healthy now and moves well… just still a bit sore in lower back left side the bugle is taking its time to settle

do core work

Generally speaking, high rep deadlifts are inadvisable… a lot of room for form breakdown which means a lot of room for potential problems later on… I’m not particularly knowledgeable about back problems, but it might be better if you replaced deadlifts with something like light good mornings or back extensions, those seem slightly more rehab-y, but anyone can feel free to correct me.

Honestly I don’t agree with all that “deadlift for high reps causes injury” opinions. Pulling 2-3@90%RM reps with bad form is as bad as pulling 8-9@80%RM reps. Also there are many body composition benefits of deadlifting huge weights for many repetitions, all in all common sense is to be used, and probably leverage considerations.

Deadlifting for high reps will result in bad form if you leave your ego unchecked. Don’t force reps. If the weight is too heavy for another rep, leave it. Yes we’re all Hercules in our minds, but reality can be a cruel bitch sometimes.

In a sense you are right because in a bench press, if you can’t press the weight you just cannot cheat the lift. Where in deadlift you can hitch, round your back etc. Doing that will fuck you up. BUT, with common sense and adequate techinique high rep deads can be beneficial.

The same thing about forcing reps etc can be applied to low rep sets too in my opinion.

If your only after bodybuilding-type gains, you can get by without deadlifting and squatting. I’ve read that several top Olympia contenders don’t do them either for various reasons. One example was Dexter Jackson who said he stopped doing deadlifts cause they made his hips too wide.

I also have back issues. Similar to yours but I have 1 bulging, 1 herniated disc in my lower back. If it hurts after after deadlifting, don’t deadlift anymore…at all. When your lower back is fucked there is a very, very fine line between injuring and strengthening it when you deadlift. The risk is not worth the reward IMO.

As far as squats go, try front squats. I feel pain in my lower back just from having 185 lbs on my back. I feel ZERO lower back pain when I front squat even when doing a 1 rep max. All the stress is transferred to the upper back. The only thing is, you’ll have to add in another hamstring/glute exercise somewhere since the front squat hits mostly quads.

Strengthen your core. Check out the articles I have bookmarked in my hub. There’s a few with core programs. Read those.

Thx for the hlp sam… Sucks not doing deadlift when you love them soooo much, Nothing better then picking up heavy shit off the ground many times