T Nation

Can't Sleep Doing Cardio

I have this weird issue. I workout at 6 pm (after work). When I was just lifting my sleep patterns were okay. I’d get about 6 hours sleep on average. For me, that’s great. However, whenever I include cardio I seem to have trouble sleeping. I don’t know if there’s any connection, but I just can’t seem to sleep as well if I do cardio + weightlifting after work.

Do you think there’s any connection here? BTW I usually go to bed around 1:00 am…so it’s not like I’m doing cardio close to by bedtime, which can be a problem for some.

I started cardio this week and haven’t had a good nights sleep in three days…oddly enough, I don’t feel all that tired. Although, I don’t feel 100% either.

As a cardio-based sports guy (less of a lifter), it sounds as if your nervous system is somehow confused. If you are not eating enough (burning too much energy via cardio) AND your body is not triggering the correct hunger mechanism, then you simply starve yourself. This would probably force you into a deep sleep though, but hopefully this illustrates my point. Maybe your mechanism for relaxation is inhibited somehow.

My immediate advice is to …

1. Not go to bed so late. Work, train, eat, sleep. No BS in between.

2. Eat more.

3. STOP doing cardio, focus on your lifts for ~2 weeks and see what happens.

When I do high tempo cardio I usually feel too alert when I go to bed. It’s weird.

When I was eating tons and lifting I’d go to bed a lot easier. Okay, back to lifting and eating. :slight_smile:

I take it that your lifting is not causing sleep trouble?

Do not stop doing cardio, but instead start your mornings with it.

FYI as a dog home owner (two dogs) yer avatar = not funny!

Just go to the doctor

[quote]Steve8867 wrote:
I take it that your lifting is not causing sleep trouble?

Do not stop doing cardio, but instead start your mornings with it.

FYI as a dog home owner (two dogs) yer avatar = not funny![/quote]

Don’t blame me. It jumped on its own volition. I can’t help the fact that dogs aren’t that intelligent.

I thought about cardio in the morning, but I am not a morning person. I get up pretty late and get into work around 9:30 am…maybe I should work on that.

I didn’t do cardio last night…just lifted and slept better. Weird. I thought cardio was suppose to tire you…instead it makes me more alert.

[quote]Damner wrote:
Just go to the doctor
[/quote]

All they’ll do is give me a prescription for sleeping pills.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
As a cardio-based sports guy (less of a lifter), it sounds as if your nervous system is somehow confused. If you are not eating enough (burning too much energy via cardio) AND your body is not triggering the correct hunger mechanism, then you simply starve yourself. This would probably force you into a deep sleep though, but hopefully this illustrates my point. Maybe your mechanism for relaxation is inhibited somehow.

My immediate advice is to …

1. Not go to bed so late. Work, train, eat, sleep. No BS in between.

2. Eat more.

3. STOP doing cardio, focus on your lifts for ~2 weeks and see what happens.[/quote]

You don’t stop doing cardio if you want to do cardio.

I doubt stop doing cardio would be the proper prescription if the OP actually wants to incorporate cardio into a program. I’m quite certain that the OP has been focusing on weights alone for several weeks prior to cardio-initiation.

If it’s a dual cardio plus weight training in the same session that’s causing the nighttime insomnia, consider doing them on separate days. Cardio increases your heart rate more so than weight training. Consider relaxation techniques, possibly longer stretching sessions to calm your increased sympathetic nervous system post cardio. I find that when I do stretches, it’s quite soothing.

Fix your sleep pattern. Stop staying up so late, do morning cardio and lift in the afternoon. Lifting in the morning sucks if you are not a morning person.

I know it is not what you want to hear but go to bed earlier!

And miss Conan!?

Before I started weight lifting I did cardio every night. Lost nearly 50 pounds doing it. I can definitely tell you that doing it at night is a NO NO! I use to do it before I went to bed at night and it would take hours for me to finally get to sleep. Do it in the morning or afternoon. I have had insomnia for years and doing cardio at night only made things worse. Weight lifting tends to give me more energy as well but i can fall asleep within an hour after doing it (i do it at night because I need concentration). While cardio at night means it will take 2-4 hours before I actually fall asleep. Which probably explains why I am up right now at 2:58 am.

I started doing cardio to lose a little weight. Instead, I’ve decided to just cut one of my meals. Now I’m eating 4 a day. Well, I lost 1 lbs this week.

If I was to do a massive bulk I don’t know if I could do a cut like most would because of this sleeping issue. Maybe it’s best if I take this slower approach to adding mass, because the cardio screws me up.

Well i would stay at 5 meals a day minimum. I am no pro when it comes to weight lifting but I do know a good bit about diet due to all the health issues that run in my family (luckily i only inherited asthma). Cut down on your calorie intake slowly (maybe smaller portions). Don’t skip a meal because in my opinion 4 meals is not enough.

How much cardio are you doing and at what hours do you do this? I tend to do cardio at around 9 or 10 pm (use to do it at around 12-1 am) because it is pretty quiet around this time. I have the attention span of a 2 year old so I am easily distracted. But if you have time to do cardio in the morning, do it. That way you can waste all the energy you have on daily activities.