T Nation

Can't Sleep After Squatting Hard

Hi All,

I've had a lot of success using the IBB program - I can't thank you all enough for the guidance and knowledge all over this site. I'm focusing on my squats this Spring and I'm having a really hard time sleeping after squatting or deadlifting hard. Even if I make sure to work out in the morning, my body is still buzzing when I go to bed, I overheat and I can't turn my brain off - I'm just amped. This is killing my progress - no sleep = no growth. Anyone have any tips for me?

I'm not a great sleeper anyway, so I've spent a lot of time learning about how to sleep properly and I do take it seriously. My only thought is that I have to keep my volume really low when I go heavy. I'm very athletic so I believe my recruitment is top notch. My current heavy day is warming up with sets of 4 or 5 to my weight and then doing sets of 2-3 until I feel my power dropping off. Thanks in advance for any advice.

How do you know it's the squatting/deadlifting that keeps you awake? If you don't lift within four hours or so before you go to bed I don't see how it could affect your sleep.

You could try melatonin and/or tryptophan before going to bed. Also could try a relaxing herbal tea, possibly in conjunction.

You just need to find a way to calm down and relax before heading to bed. Hell, even some meditation could work.

I sometimes have the same problem after an especially brutal leg workout.

I've had the same problem my entire life and have linked it back to elevated cortisol levels due to days where training is very intensive. Try 5-10g glycine right after your workouts and 5-10g of glycine right before bed.

Try sleeping in a colder room, about 65 degrees F with a strong fan (but not overly loud one of course.) to move some air. This has always worked for me and I sleep like a champ, even when my legs are on fire.

Glycine and GABA work wonders for me (with Z12) before bed. Tryptophan when I can afford it.