T Nation

Can't Seem to Eat Enough!

I don’t know if this is a common problem but I’m struggling to eat enough whole foods. I lift 3 times a week doing a ppl split and like everyone, I want to put some muscle. I’m trying to get 2700 calories a day but I’m struggling to get it down me! I’ve lost 25 lbs over the last few months with a calorie restricted diet and exercise but now I want to focus on building some muscle. I’m hitting my calories and macros but largely from shakes which I know isn’t the best way but really can’t force enough whole foods down! I have things like chicken and sweet potatoes most days but can’t seem to eat enough of it!

Even unhealthy stuff like pizza is a struggle to finish off! I use protein powder, oats, bananas, peanut butter, Greek yogurt and oatbran along with Creatine and L Glutamine in my shakes so they aren’t unhealthy as such but not the best way to get most of my calories! This wasn’t a problem when losing weight but now I want a bit of an excess it’s a bit of a concern! Even if I leave it till I’m really hungry I can’t finish of a plate full of food! Anyone have any tips or advice?

What exactly did you eat today. Not usually eat, exactly.

PPL is 6 days a week (usually), not 3. Get on a full body. Chad Waterbury has quite a few of those.

I agree it would be helpful if you post a day’s food intake.

It seems odd that you can’t get 2700 calories down from whole foods if you’re eating nutrient dense stuff, never mind pizza. Do you eat red meat?

[quote]Dave_70 wrote:
I’m trying to get 2700 calories a day but I’m struggling to get it down me![/quote]
Are you still Carb Backloading? That’s relevant, and could be the issue.

[quote]JFG wrote:
What exactly did you eat today. Not usually eat, exactly.[/quote]
^ This!

Dollars to donuts (pun intended) an honest and accurate answer will shine a ton of light on the situation.

Yesterday I had A high fiber cereal with low fat yogurt on waking up, 40g protein and 60g oats preworkout. 4 rashers of bacon with 4 whole scrambled eggs with 2 slices of wholemeal bread along with a shake made up with the stuff I mentioned in my first post after workout. That came to around 2000 calories. The other 600 cals came from another big shake before work and a small one before bed.

My weight is pretty stable at the moment (I weigh myself everyday) at around 197 so I know I need to up the calories a little more to gain but I’ve been increasing them gradually after losing weight. I take vitamin supplements ect and a powdered veg drink when I can afford it!

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Dave_70 wrote:
I’m trying to get 2700 calories a day but I’m struggling to get it down me![/quote]
Are you still Carb Backloading? That’s relevant, and could be the issue.

[quote]JFG wrote:
What exactly did you eat today. Not usually eat, exactly.[/quote]
^ This!

Dollars to donuts (pun intended) an honest and accurate answer will shine a ton of light on the situation.[/quote]

No not carb backloading, couldn’t get my head round how it would fit in with working shifts! Just been getting in my calories/macros and not worrying about the timing too much. Only thing I do is have a few more carbs before bed when going to the gym soon after waking up.

I stay away from junk (no donuts! lol) I track everything on MyFitnessPal so I know what’s going in and pretty strict with myself!

screen print from MyFitnessPal

Make smaller calorie jumps. Same with the shakes, pick one shake, replace it with real food. Let it stick for a week or two, move to the next shake.

Or just suck it up and be disciplined, that food which sucks balls to eat now will seem like nothing in a month.

That’s not gonna help, but you have far too much liquid “food”

You have to chew what you eat

digestive enzymes -take at start of a meal, will push back the feeling of indigestion/fullness for 10-20mins and sort of stimulates appetite. Now foods ones are good.

Look up Kigbeefs thread/templates -have good amount of volume which should stimulate appetite, same for this…

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
digestive enzymes -take at start of a meal, will push back the feeling of indigestion/fullness for 10-20mins and sort of stimulates appetite. Now foods ones are good.

Look up Kigbeefs thread/templates -have good amount of volume which should stimulate appetite, same for this…
https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/531-beach-body-challenge[/quote]

I’ve just got some digestive enzymes so giving them a go :slight_smile:

[quote]tontongg wrote:
That’s not gonna help, but you have far too much liquid “food”

You have to chew what you eat[/quote]

I’m not disagreeing with you, just playing devil’s advocate here but why?

[quote]Dave_70 wrote:

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
digestive enzymes -take at start of a meal, will push back the feeling of indigestion/fullness for 10-20mins and sort of stimulates appetite. Now foods ones are good.

Look up Kigbeefs thread/templates -have good amount of volume which should stimulate appetite, same for this…
https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/531-beach-body-challenge[/quote]

I’ve just got some digestive enzymes so giving them a go :)[/quote]

great, keep us posted