T Nation

Can't Make up My Mind on Training Program

Well, I've been weight training for about 8 years now. Last year I decided to train for a marathon. After the 10 mile mark I had to stop lifting until the training was over due tothe intensity needed for long distance. Now Afterwards I want to get back into weight conditioning shape. Thanks to all that running, I have a gut. I was more muscular at the time, and I guess the muscle started breaking down into fat after I wasn't able to lift for awhile.

Here's my thing, I'm 5'10 and 188 pounds. My ideal weight is around 185, so now I just want to cut down. I have muscle, but my body fat percentage is higher so I'm just "puffier." my problem is, I studied forever on how to bulk, and now I hear tns of conflicting advice. There are some that say to do the "Stronglifsts 5x5" and I'll lean down. Then there are some that say to do HIIT training and higher reps only. It's not that I'm a novice, I just didn't realize all the conflicting info out there. I was good at bulking, now I just want to stop.

PS, When I "bulked" I stated at 155 about 3 years ago. I gained 10 ibs per year.

Hope this makes sense, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your muscle broke down into fat?

Well it didn't break down into fat, but from not lifting I lost mass and it turned into what I have now. The weight was left over from my previous athletic endeavor. I thought running would keep that from happening but it didn't. Near the end I was running 6-8 miles 2-3 times a week, and a long run of 12-20 miles.

What, were you running backwards or something?

There may be a lot of various, sometimes conflicting advice but you just have to pick something and over time you will know if it works for YOU or not. Honestly, asking for advice on the forums is probably going to get you just as much various advice as you've already read in to.

There are many ways to skin a cat, so really you just need to start somewhere and run with it. Try some of CT's stuff, I've never tried it personally but I know that many people love his work and training philosophies.

howie424 wrote:
What, were you running backwards or something?

I know man, it didn't make much sense. I think I might have been at one of those points in my life (23-25 year old) where my metabolism was changing. When I trained prior to that I didn't have to worry about the perfect diet and program and my body responded better. I use to also not be able to gain weight very easily, and that changed as well. Sigh, I know what you're saying, there's just too much advice out there sometimes.

This makes a lot of sense actually. I have a handful of fat friends who run marathons.

I don't understand your second statement here. Innately, age has at most a negligible effect on your metabolism. You need to own up to the real culprit, which is probably a combination of improper dieting and a poor/non existent resistance training regimen.

The diet was part of it, the whole story is that I broke my toe shortly after the marathon. This prevented me from doing any sort of leg exercise/explosive lifts for awhile. I haven't had a consistent weight resistance program in the last few months which has caused me to have this frustration, which is why I'm posting this topic.

Is CT's Superman workout pretty good? I'm looking at that right now. So I pick:

Day Star

Complex A Star Complex B

Monday Overhead Press Squat

Tuesday Deadlift Bench Press

Thursday Squat Overhead Press

Friday Bench Press Deadlift

I see this Load Type thing, do I go through all 5 types of deadlifts, bench, etc each day? I know I only do two of the exercises, I'm just seeing a lot of variation.

Well firstly get in the gym and do some training

I've been going to the gym, I'm in a fairly good conditioned shape. I just lack a steady program. I was doing kettlebell type workouts along with a back to back Dip/Pull up circuit. If the superman is for later on, what types of programs from this website do you guys recommend? I figure you've tried a few. Novice stuff is fine, but I was looking for something more fat burning/cutting than mass building.

Okay, lets take a second to breath here...

What is your MAIN goal, Fat loss or muscle gain? We cant really help you until you pick one of these.

Posting a picture would help to determine what your actual starting point is instead of simply listing off some numbers as well.

How fast did you run the marathon? I don't know anyone who has run a decent time and/or really trained hard and has had a gut. I mean, are we talking at least a sub-3:30 marathon, or were you hammering it out with the 50 year olds who are doing it just to do it?

"How fast did you run the marathon? I don't know anyone who has run a decent time and/or really trained hard and has had a gut. I mean, are we talking at least a sub-3:30 marathon, or were you hammering it out with the 50 year olds who are doing it just to do it? "

4 hours 38 mins. I wasn't in super marathon shape because before training for it I had never run more than 1 mile in my life. I did it with a few friends, a "bucket list" sort of thing. When I say gut, I don't mean a huge gut. It's just more fat than I've ever had in my life. But I can honestly say I could jog without stopping for 22 miles until I started hitting the wall.

I'll get some pictures up later tonight or tomorrow, I'm sure alot of people will tell me to build more muscle due to being "only" 185 and 5'10'. I just don't want to get the creeping up "old man belly."

I guess what I'm just pointing out is that you didn't train for a marathon, and you shouldn't approach your changes in that way (i.e. with the mindset of "I've been training and am adjusting my training"). You took a bunch of time off from training so that you can do some jogging.

That's the only thing that does bother me about people decrying distance running as leading to people getting out of shape--very few people actually run. If a healthy male under the age of 25 runs a marathon in more than 3:30, then that person was not really training. It's just that simple.

No, you have a "gut" because you kept eating the same calories you needed to maintain your running weight after you stopped running.

this

The3Commandment wrote:

"I guess what I'm just pointing out is that you didn't train for a marathon, and you shouldn't approach your changes in that way (i.e. with the mindset of "I've been training and am adjusting my training"). You took a bunch of time off from training so that you can do some jogging.

That's the only thing that does bother me about people decrying distance running as leading to people getting out of shape--very few people actually run. If a healthy male under the age of 25 runs a marathon in more than 3:30, then that person was not really training. It's just that simple."

You writing this shows you have no idea what you're talking about. A person who doesn't run/jog often that decides to do a marathon doesn't do well their first time. There is a lot your body has to do to change what it's use to, especially if you've never done long distance running. You don't sprint a marathon, that's not what they're about. I'm not repeating and trying for a better time because I found out I hate long distance running.

Didn't train for a marathon huh?

"Near the end I was running 6-8 miles 2-3 times a week, and a long run once a week of 12-20 miles." If that's not training, I don't know what is.

If you don't condition for a marathon you won't even be able to walk it. There are so many pains and aches that happen that you have to overcome to even be able to make half of the race, I did train for it.

And Yes that is true, unfortunately.

Nothing personal, but this is total bullsh** on so many levels, dude. Just because you don't know what real training is doesn't mean it doesn't exist--I probably wouldn't have known what real training was either if I didn't have a bro who ran XC in high school and was a fan of the marathon. I've run one marathon, and it was in just over 3 hours (and don't plan on doing another one). I was 21 then, while at 18 I was a 250lb offensive lineman who had never run more than a quarter at one time.

Your "training" had to be shit--you were running the sort of mileage that a middle-aged woman runs to prep for getting through a marathon. Real training for a healthy, young male is well north of 70 miles a week (I logged a couple 100+ weeks, for instance) and involves running at a bare minimum 6 days/week. People can "run" marathons without training much at all. Hell, I'm pretty untrained right now, but I know I could go and bang out an ugly sub-4 marathon.

Not meaning to turn this into a marathon thread, but I'm just saying--at least own that you were not training, as it will give a more accurate assessment of your current level of fitness. You might have "conditioned" (to use your term) for a few months or whatever, but you certainly didn't train.