Can't Keep The Fat Off

So i started lifting this past september(2011) and between september and January i went from 160 to 190 pounds. My BF% went from 10 to 14. However since then, i have stopped putting on muscle and really just been putting on fat.

I know i cant sustain that initial gain rate forever, but i would think that now even if im putting on fat i should be putting on muscle as well. Each time i up my calories to put on muscle, i just end up getting fatter, and it takes me two weeks to drop the fat i put on, and then im back to 190 pounds again.

I know some fat gain is expected when adding mass but still. My diet is pretty good 5-6 meals a day, lots of protein, mostly healthy cars(brown rice, fruit vegetables). I work out usually 6 times a week for an hour, working a three day split. I don’t do much cardio as i’ve heard that that can impede muscle growth.

So what do i need to do to start adding muscle again and keep the fat off as much as possible? Thanks alot

By the way im 6’3. I know im skinny but im working on it.

what do you consider lotss of protein?

[quote]Colton28 wrote:
So i started lifting this past september(2011) and between september and January i went from 160 to 190 pounds. My BF% went from 10 to 14. However since then, i have stopped putting on muscle and really just been putting on fat. I know i cant sustain that initial gain rate forever, but i would think that now even if im putting on fat i should be putting on muscle as well. Each time i up my calories to put on muscle, i just end up getting fatter, and it takes me two weeks to drop the fat i put on, and then im back to 190 pounds again. I know some fat gain is expected when adding mass but still. My diet is pretty good 5-6 meals a day, lots of protein, mostly healthy cars(brown rice, fruit vegetables). I work out usually 6 times a week for an hour, working a three day split. I don’t do much cardio as i’ve heard that that can impede muscle growth.

So what do i need to do to start adding muscle again and keep the fat off as much as possible? Thanks alot[/quote]

Obviously abandoning your gaining approach as soon as you gain a couple pounds of fat and subcutaneous water is a foolproof strategy. I’d stick with it.

Are you getting stronger when your “only putting on fat”? Cause just because you increase cals doesn’t mean your body will add muscle. You have to bust your butt in the weightroom to make it want muscle.

consider adding calories from protein or fat instead of carbs.

too much cardio AND not enough calories can impede muscle gain.

Part of what Fro said is correct. Cardio only impedes muscle growth or reduces muscle when you are doing a very large amount, like an hour a day seven days a week plus. What you would do for cardio would not impede muscle growth.

[quote]Colton28 wrote:
So i started lifting this past september(2011) and between september and January i went from 160 to 190 pounds. My BF% went from 10 to 14.[/quote]
That’s solid progress. But how did you calculate your bodyfat percentage?

You’ve added 20 pounds of muscle and about 10 pounds of fat. What’s wrong with that? Especially considering you started off underweight from the beginning.

Do you have a current photo you’d want to post?

Hi, I just found out why you’re having trouble gaining. Interspersing two week cutting cycles is a great way to slow down overall progress, especially when you don’t have much fat to lose in the first place.

Consistency - month after month after month of uninterrupted focus - will get you back on track.

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

As was mentioned, you might benefit from adjusting your carb intake (dropping them slightly on non-training days). Other than that, any detail you can provide will speak volumes.

Again, details please. Days, exercises, sets, and reps.

What are your current bests in the basic lifts - squat, deadlift, row, pull-up/pulldown, bench press, overhead press.

I also think it would’ve been relevant to this thread if you mentioned that you pulled your hamstring three months ago, may have re-injured it recently, and separated a rib last month. Do you do sports that have you getting injured? If not, I think something’s fishy and you should tweak your training plan and/or your exercise form.

Also, how old are you? Your profile says 5, but I try not to believe everything I read on the Internet.

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:
Part of what Fro said is correct. Cardio only impedes muscle growth or reduces muscle when you are doing a very large amount, like an hour a day seven days a week plus. What you would do for cardio would not impede muscle growth.[/quote]
Part of what you said is correct. High intensity, short duration cardio (such as interval sprints) performed immediately post-workout can certainly interfere with muscle gains.

You, and we, have no idea whatsoever what the OP “would do for cardio” and whether or not it’s hurting his progress.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Colton28 wrote:
So i started lifting this past september(2011) and between september and January i went from 160 to 190 pounds. My BF% went from 10 to 14.[/quote]
But how did you calculate your bodyfat percentage?[/quote]
I want to know the answer to ^this^

I think you have hit what CT called the “Lean Threshold”
Read under: “Body Image As An Enemy”

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:
Part of what Fro said is correct. Cardio only impedes muscle growth or reduces muscle when you are doing a very large amount, like an hour a day seven days a week plus. What you would do for cardio would not impede muscle growth.[/quote]

WAIT A MOMENT WAIT A MOMENT. does this mean if i play sports/train for my sport 5-6x a week. I CAN HAS NO MUSCLE?!?!

serious question.