T Nation

Can't Increase With TBT

Hey, for anyone doing TBT, I’ve run into a couple problems with TBT. I tried upping the weight on 4x5 with hammer curls and front raises yesterday, and my wrists just gave out. I couldn’t grip the friggin weights, and even when I tried to lift it, my form was god awful. I just lowered it to the weight from the week before and stuck out those. In the future, is this what should be done?

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
Hey, for anyone doing TBT, I’ve run into a couple problems with TBT. I tried upping the weight on 4x5 with hammer curls and front raises yesterday, and my wrists just gave out. I couldn’t grip the friggin weights, and even when I tried to lift it, my form was god awful. I just lowered it to the weight from the week before and stuck out those. In the future, is this what should be done?[/quote]

Firstly, don’t stress. I’m assuming you’re at a gym, and using the set-weight dumbells which they provide. You havn’t provided the weight which you are curling. Let us assume 40lb. If you increase to 45lb (dumbells usually increase in 5lb increments), you are increasing the total weight by 12.5%. This is much larger than the 2.5% CW suggests as a maximum increase. The same reasoning applies for the front raises.

I too am on the TBT. My recommendation would be that you concern yourself much more with strength increases in the core lifts. At heart, TBT is a hypertrophy program. The isolation exercises are there to aid in hypertrophy, so don’t worry if you remain at the same weight. Personally, I don’t keep the same iso exercises for week 2 as I did for week 1. Like I said, they are there for hypertrophy.

Focus on developing strength increases in the core lifts.

-Cloth

alrite man, thanks! makes much more sense now that I see your perspective

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
alrite man, thanks! makes much more sense now that I see your perspective[/quote]

Not a problem. Just PM me if you have any other questions, and I’ll see if I can help out.

-Cloth