Can't Get my Career Off the Ground...

You’re the guy who wants gay men to have a separate locker room. Yes, I can see you helping others to overcome their issues.

Doctor, heal thyself.

We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, and we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

[quote]Travacolypse wrote:
Out of everyone on this forum, you fall squarely into the category of “should never be a psychologist.”

Take it as a sign and stick with IT.[/quote]

I thought the exact same thing when reading the post. Not suprised somebody posted this comment before me either.

[quote]Travacolypse wrote:
Out of everyone on this forum, you fall squarely into the category of “should never be a psychologist.”

Take it as a sign and stick with IT.[/quote]

AQ, reading what you wrote it would seem that you’ve quit everything you’ve ever started academically and have a poor work history, to boot (i.e. one year of real work, which you dropped to go back to school, which you quit).

First year MSW internships are considered little different than bachelors-level internships, so people are not going to be impressed with your clinical qualifications. Too, you couldn’t make it though your basic human development classes to get to the clinical aspect of the program. Had you stuck with it, your second year internships would have been “clinical enough,” as your classes would have been, and you would have walked right into a job.

I agree with Travacolypse. This is not the field for you. The kids who WILL stab you have enough to contend with. They don’t need to prop you up on top of it all. Stick with IT.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

I have colleagues who went to private schools and make partner before they pay off their loans.

I lucked out and had scholarships.

and just for context, making partner usually takes around how many years?

7-10, depending on the firm. One guy who is close to 50 just finished his loans, he had about $150,000.[/quote]

When did he finish law school? This strikes me as a mismanagement of funds to pay off the loans rather than time really needed to pay them off.

[quote]oneforship wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

I have colleagues who went to private schools and make partner before they pay off their loans.

7-10, depending on the firm. One guy who is close to 50 just finished his loans, he had about $150,000.

When did he finish law school? This strikes me as a mismanagement of funds to pay off the loans rather than time really needed to pay them off.[/quote]

Late 80s, I think. We haven’t discussed his finances and money management in depth, but I’ll make sure to do that next time I see him.

[quote]oneforship wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

7-10, depending on the firm. One guy who is close to 50 just finished his loans, he had about $150,000.

When did he finish law school? This strikes me as a mismanagement of funds to pay off the loans rather than time really needed to pay them off.[/quote]

Are you serious? You have no clue what the interest rate was and if anyone actually plans on living a comfortable lifestyle at all…and pay bills…it isn’t like all income gets funneled into student loans. If the man has a family and kids that is even more drain on his final income.

It is not that uncommon for doctors and lawyers to still be paying off massive debt into their 50’s unless they had someone else pay for much of it when they were in school.

As far as this topic, this is why you don’t wait until you graduate college to consider how much your desired job can actually make.

This sounds like all of those students taking PE as a major because they thought it would be easy.

I have a bachelors degree in biology. I knew going in that if I had stopped my education at that point, there isn’t much you can do with that degree other than teach biology.

It shouldn’t be surprise that the job market is slow for people with psych degrees unless they went to med school.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Late 80s, I think. We haven’t discussed his finances and money management in depth, but I’ll make sure to do that next time I see him.[/quote]

Thanks. Gather that information, and then report back to me. :wink:

1. You don’t have a master’s degree.
  2. PhD Psychology programs aren’t easy to get into.
  3. Most good jobs in the field of psychology including having your own practice usually require at least a master’s degree. Your 1 year in a masters program and 1 year clinical experience almost goes to shit.

Like professor X pointed out, most Bachelor’s degrees are really useless in the real world. His bachelor in biology wouldn’t get him a solid job; he’d probably need a PhD and have to be hired by a private firm to make any decently high amount of money in said field. The problem is often demand isn’t overly high and when there are people with better degrees, school marks ,or more experience then you, they will get the job or place in a program first.

Instead of becoming a math major, I decided to major in interpretive dance… there’s a lot of money in that profession. Plus, practicality is for pussies.