Can't Get Bigger Delts...

So I’ve been training for about 2 months, im quite skinnyand want to get bigger.
I have gained some arm size but my delts dont seem to be doing anything. What are the best exercises for each part of the delt, and what is a good routine for your shoulders. I think the problem is that im not exhausting them enough, i dont really feel much burn when doing it, it could be bad technique of too light/heavy weight i guess.
But what is a good shoulder routine to get some size?

Try bent over rows, bench press, and overhead press. Those should take you where you need to go.

That sucks. Most of us were already huge within 1 week of lifting. The simple fact that it has taken two whole months and you STILL aren’t seeing progress means you may have a serious life threatening disease. Write this word down…“colonoscopy”. Get one…quick.

You’ve only been training for two months, give it some time. As long as you’re doing military presses and some rowing, your shoulders will come along.

The straight dope?

You need to spend much less time dissecting the musculature and spend some serious time with the “Big 5” as I call them:

Bench press (inc,dec,flat)
BB Rows
Squats (all variations)
Deadlifts (full and partials)
Chins/Pulls (keep good form)

You cannot stimulate enough of the anabolic machinery by hitting the delts with isolation moves or by not hitting the torso as a whole. Take it from me, who spent the first two years of training reading magazines and trying to build just arms and delts. Doesn’t work that way. Never has…never will. Ok, there is that one guy who lives in Romania, but he doesn’t count.

You may look elsewhere for advice, but this, my good man, is THE straight dope. Take it or leave it. Hope you take it. You’ll do well then.

PS. Throw some extra calories in there too. You gotta have some bricks to build with.

DH

[quote]Sh!fty wrote:
So I’ve been training for about 2 months, im quite skinnyand want to get bigger.
I have gained some arm size but my delts dont seem to be doing anything. What are the best exercises for each part of the delt, and what is a good routine for your shoulders. I think the problem is that im not exhausting them enough, i dont really feel much burn when doing it, it could be bad technique of too light/heavy weight i guess.
But what is a good shoulder routine to get some size?[/quote]

PX, just when we thought you were going soft…

Sometimes I think you’re too blunt and blustery…

Other times you really get me laughing. :wink:

Try not to kill the kid too soon, man. Others may want some of the protein kill, too.

Best,
DH

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That sucks. Most of us were already huge within 1 week of lifting. The simple fact that it has taken two whole weeks and you STILL aren’t seeing progress means you may have a serious life threatening disease. Wrote this word down…“colonoscopy”. Get one…quick.[/quote]

Throw in a few sets of delt raises before your upper body workouts, and include everything everyone else said. Be sure to keep your scapulae flat.

Not squat-rack curls.

initially i only read this to get P-X’s response

so then i was gonna quote P-X
and secondly i was gonna quote mindeffer
and finally i was gonna quote TriGWU

but i can’t choose.

so. calm down. push heavy stuff over your head. lift way heavier stuff off of the ground. put food stuff in your mouth. repeat for 2 YEARS and then report back.

no more advice can be given than is already available in countless articles on this site. lots of beginner and newbie threads and articles as well. we all gotta start somewhere.

BFG

I was actually just discussing this with a friend of mine. We were talking about the Soulders Overhaul program and eventually concluded that neither of us have a strong enough base to really be worried about trying to target growth. This my friend is after 3 years of lifting. Listen to these guys. They know what they’re talking about.

[quote]Hatebreeder wrote:
I was actually just discussing this with a friend of mine. We were talking about the Soulders Overhaul program and eventually concluded that neither of us have a strong enough base to really be worried about trying to target growth. This my friend is after 3 years of lifting. Listen to these guys. They know what they’re talking about.[/quote]

If you have been lifting for three years and you still don’t know how to “target growth”, there is something very wrong with your understanding of lifting weights.

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
PX, just when we thought you were going soft…

Sometimes I think you’re too blunt and blustery…

Other times you really get me laughing. :wink:

Try not to kill the kid too soon, man. Others may want some of the protein kill, too.

Best,
DH

Professor X wrote:
That sucks. Most of us were already huge within 1 week of lifting. The simple fact that it has taken two whole weeks and you STILL aren’t seeing progress means you may have a serious life threatening disease. Wrote this word down…“colonoscopy”. Get one…quick.
[/quote]
I gotta agree (once again) with ProfX, and frankly this crap is really impacting the utility of this site.

What’s wrong with this statement, “I took up golf two months ago and I still can’t play eighteen under par. Can someone tell me what I need to do to improve my short and long games?” If I posted that question at golf.com I?d personally expect to get slammed, and rightfully so!

This guy is admittedly (1) skinny and (2) new. If he had bothered to spend an hour or so at this site or any other BB site, he would have been able to answer his own question. Sh!fty, how much time have you spent trying to find this answer…? I don’t have a clue how a lot of the people posting on this site can even get through Jr High School!

ProfX’s standard answer of “Eat Big, Lift Big!” (paraphrased) would have be more than appropriate in this case.

Your a newbie, like has been mentioned you shouldnt be worrying about specific weaknesses. You just need to focus on hitting the big lifts and putting on overall mass. I gaurentee if from a year from no your 20-30lbs heavier from training hard and eating alot of healthy food your delts will be noticably larger.

Prof X, if you can’t “target growth” you might want to try a “specialization” program where you do do less volume for other body parts and increase volume where you want to “target growth”. Ian King writes a few of these esoteric programs that “target growth”.

In all seriousness, just because he used a phrase that isn’t used very commonly doesn’t mean he can’t do something to bring up a lagging part etc.

[quote]Garrett W. wrote:
Prof X, if you can’t “target growth” you might want to try a “specialization” program where you do do less volume for other body parts and increase volume where you want to “target growth”. Ian King writes a few of these esoteric programs that “target growth”.

In all seriousness, just because he used a phrase that isn’t used very commonly doesn’t mean he can’t do something to bring up a lagging part etc.[/quote]

What are you talking about? Learn to read better. Nowhere did I tell him that you can’t “target growth”. I wrote that after three years, if he doesn’t know how to “target growth” he is training wrong. Thank you for your overwhelmingly informative input though.

Yeah… Uh… I fucked up.

I swapped names and details to make it fit the version I had in my head.

Shit, I this rate I’ll write Hollywood screenplays. Sorry.

I should watch what I say here…I didn’t mean that I was unable to “target growth”. The message that I was trying to convey was that after 3 years of training I feel that I am still a long way away from needing to utilize a specialization routine, as I still have a lot of overall mass to gain.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
That sucks. Most of us were already huge within 1 week of lifting. The simple fact that it has taken two whole months and you STILL aren’t seeing progress means you may have a serious life threatening disease. Write this word down…“colonoscopy”. Get one…quick.[/quote]

Man, you just cut to the quick. Ouch.

Cheers guys, i picked up a few exercises i wasnt doing, lets see what this does, oh yeah it wasnt 2 months, i mistyped its 4 and a bit, sorry…

If you don’t do it already, start to squat and deadlift.

These two exercises are in my opinion two of the most important exercises to do. Stick to basics, bench press, chins, bent over row, dips. In a few years you can “specialize” on lagging musclegroups but get the base first.

Pick a program and stick to it. Don’t forget that your diet is VERY importand, eat, eat and eat some more. Lots of info here about what to eat.

Some homework for you. Read all these articles and you should have a better idea about what to do.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

Good luck.