Can't Fix My Legs. Doctors/PT's Won't Help

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:
What single leg stuff are you doing, you just say stuff. Are you doing static closed chain exercises? Or are you a cross fitter that tries and do pistol squats?

Taping? have you tried taping

The fluid in the knee is a problem, as it can be a main contributor to pain, which can then lead to decreased muscular response.

Again, what activities are you doing where your knees feel unsteady? Just squatting? Running? Jumping?

You don’t let your knees go in but are you actively externally rotating the femur on the eccentric portion?

[/quote]

Anything on single leg. I don’t do much specific single leg stuff. I’m seeing a pt right now. I CAN do a full pistol on my right leg, and barely on my left. But it feels TERRIBLE. Not painful, but dangerous, like I should not be doing it.

Any time most of my weight is on a single leg it feels dangerous.

Taping is the only thing that has EVER helped, but even that was very minor improvement.

What feels unsteady? Everything. Literally. No exaggeration.

External rotation during eccentric portion? Don’t know. But I do know that no matter what I do squatting feels terrible. If I push my knees out on the way down it doesn’t change the way it feels at all. [/quote]

If you can do a full pistol squat on your left (im not sure why anyone would ever want to do a pistol squat) then you may want to initiate Closed Chain Single Leg Stabilization exercises. The best way to improve single leg stability is by working on single leg stability. Initially the exercise should be static with 30 degrees knee flexion as this promotes the greatest recruitment of the quads and hamstrings and on a stable surface and progressing to dynamic exercises on an unstable surface. If your seeing a PT ask him if your patella is tracking incorrectly and to try mcconnell taping, if that works you can order a brace that will hold the glide better. Has the PT ruled out ligamentous injury? Or Meniscal as giving out is common signs, MRI’s aren’t 100 % .

If your not going to provide specific examples then dont bother answering, you continue to just say everything. Details are important in biomechanical issues, just saying o my knees feel like they’re going in doesn’t help.

You should learn how to externally rotate the femur on the eccentric portion of the squat, google it. Have you tried other squatting variations?[/quote]

I’ve seen at least a dozen doctors and PT’s each, and none of them thought I had any tendon/ligamentous/meniscal injury.

Rotating the femur. Do you mean rotating it about the long axis of the femur itself? Or just spreading the legs?

Sorry about saying everything, but it’s literally true. Walking feels unstable. EVERYTHING.

I don’t think stability is the issue. I think the issue is a misalignment. Stability is impossible if things aren’t lined up right? Does that make any sense?

Squatting used to feel perfect. It doesn’t just go bad does it?
[/quote]

Just because they thought, doesn’t mean its not true, are you seeing a PT? Ask them to perform some ACL testing (lachman, pivot-shift) and some meniscal (stand-pivot, mcmurrays, joint line palpation). Did they perform bilateral hand held dynamometry to test quad strength differences bilaterally? Have you considered your feet??? Does your knee cap feel like it will dislocate? How long ago was your MRI? What kind of stability program are you doing?

And yes I mean rotating, not spreading, by actively engaging your your external rotators and abductors.

They are inter-related, remember instabilty can lead to mis-alignment and increased Q-angle.

of course squatting goes bad, you think squatting feels as good to me as when I was 18!!! heck no, I wake up feeling sore all over. [/quote]

If I quote all of those things I will just be quoting you without understanding what I’m saying.

I suppose that’s ok.

Kneecap doesn’t feel like it will dislocate. Not an issue at all. Instead it just feels like my leg will buckle inward, while simultaneously the femur rotates externally.

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:
What single leg stuff are you doing, you just say stuff. Are you doing static closed chain exercises? Or are you a cross fitter that tries and do pistol squats?

The fluid in the knee is a problem, as it can be a main contributor to pain, which can then lead to decreased muscular response.

Again, what activities are you doing where your knees feel unsteady? Just squatting? Running? Jumping?

You don’t let your knees go in but are you actively externally rotating the femur on the eccentric portion?

[/quote]

Anything on single leg. I don’t do much specific single leg stuff. I’m seeing a pt right now. I CAN do a full pistol on my right leg, and barely on my left. But it feels TERRIBLE. Not painful, but dangerous, like I should not be doing it.

Taping is the only thing that has EVER helped, but even that was very minor improvement.

External rotation during eccentric portion? Don’t know. But I do know that no matter what I do squatting feels terrible. If I push my knees out on the way down it doesn’t change the way it feels at all. [/quote]

If you can do a full pistol squat on your left (im not sure why anyone would ever want to do a pistol squat) then you may want to initiate Closed Chain Single Leg Stabilization exercises. The best way to improve single leg stability is by working on single leg stability. Initially the exercise should be static with 30 degrees knee flexion as this promotes the greatest recruitment of the quads and hamstrings and on a stable surface and progressing to dynamic exercises on an unstable surface. If your seeing a PT ask him if your patella is tracking incorrectly and to try mcconnell taping, if that works you can order a brace that will hold the glide better. Has the PT ruled out ligamentous injury? Or Meniscal as giving out is common signs, MRI’s aren’t 100 % .

If your not going to provide specific examples then dont bother answering, you continue to just say everything. Details are important in biomechanical issues, just saying o my knees feel like they’re going in doesn’t help.

You should learn how to externally rotate the femur on the eccentric portion of the squat, google it. Have you tried other squatting variations?[/quote]

I’ve seen at least a dozen doctors and PT’s each, and none of them thought I had any tendon/ligamentous/meniscal injury.

Rotating the femur. Do you mean rotating it about the long axis of the femur itself? Or just spreading the legs?

Sorry about saying everything, but it’s literally true. Walking feels unstable. EVERYTHING.

I don’t think stability is the issue. I think the issue is a misalignment. Stability is impossible if things aren’t lined up right? Does that make any sense?

[/quote]

Just because they thought, doesn’t mean its not true, are you seeing a PT? Ask them to perform some ACL testing (lachman, pivot-shift) and some meniscal (stand-pivot, mcmurrays, joint line palpation). Did they perform bilateral hand held dynamometry to test quad strength differences bilaterally? Have you considered your feet??? Does your knee cap feel like it will dislocate? How long ago was your MRI? What kind of stability program are you doing?

And yes I mean rotating, not spreading, by actively engaging your your external rotators and abductors.

They are inter-related, remember instabilty can lead to mis-alignment and increased Q-angle.

of course squatting goes bad, you think squatting feels as good to me as when I was 18!!! heck no, I wake up feeling sore all over. [/quote]

If I quote all of those things I will just be quoting you without understanding what I’m saying.

I suppose that’s ok.

Kneecap doesn’t feel like it will dislocate. Not an issue at all. Instead it just feels like my leg will buckle inward, while simultaneously the femur rotates externally.
[/quote]

So what? Don’t be scared, take control of your situation. I still think your mindset needs to improve. Just say hey, I still feel instability in my knee can you do some ACL and meniscal testing to rule out other pathology and maybe take a look at my patella tracking.

No answers for MRI?
None for stability exercises?

What are they telling you is the problem?

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I suppose that’s ok.

[/quote]

So what? Don’t be scared, take control of your situation. I still think your mindset needs to improve. Just say hey, I still feel instability in my knee can you do some ACL and meniscal testing to rule out other pathology and maybe take a look at my patella tracking.

No answers for MRI?

What are they telling you is the problem?[/quote]

We’re working almost entire on glute medius activation. Clamshells. Band Walks. Short range of motion step downs. Side planks. The hands on therapy is all hip mobility work, pushing on the bony projection close to the hip capsule itself.

I’ve had probably two MRI’s on each leg. Initial one on left diagnosed partial quad tendon tear, which was repaired. Last one was on both knees I think, and didn’t identify anything, other than some chondromalacia. Maybe three years ago. But my problems now are identical, except maybe worse. So nothing significant has changed since MRI’s. Doc who did the surgery did say there was some signal in an MRI on the right knee, but nothing to definitely indicate a tear, and definitely nothing worth operating on.

Though I have discovered that partial quad tears are practically non-existent among people my age, so I’m definitely an aberration.

Your mindset would be pretty messed up after 8 years of backwards progress and a medical industry that repeatedly either ignores or gives up on you.

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I suppose that’s ok.

[/quote]

No answers for MRI?

We’re working almost entire on glute medius activation. Clamshells. Band Walks. Short range of motion step downs. Side planks. The hands on therapy is all hip mobility work, pushing on the bony projection close to the hip capsule itself.

I’ve had probably two MRI’s on each leg. Initial one on left diagnosed partial quad tendon tear, which was repaired. Last one was on both knees I think, and didn’t identify anything, other than some chondromalacia. Maybe three years ago. But my problems now are identical, except maybe worse. So nothing significant has changed since MRI’s. Doc who did the surgery did say there was some signal in an MRI on the right knee, but nothing to definitely indicate a tear, and definitely nothing worth operating on.

Though I have discovered that partial quad tears are practically non-existent among people my age, so I’m definitely an aberration.

Your mindset would be pretty messed up after 8 years of backwards progress and a medical industry that repeatedly either ignores or gives up on you.
[/quote]

Yeah maybe you have a collagen deficiency.

Rehab sounds good, but if I was you I’d be working on some single leg stability.

"Your mindset would be pretty messed up after 8 years of backwards progress and a medical industry that repeatedly either ignores or gives up on you. "

No it wouldn’t, I consider myself mentally tough. But hey that’s what sports teaches you.
Again your playing the blame game, blaming other people for not figuring out your problems. Take some initiative in your life and show some fortitude.

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:I

[/quote]

[/quote]

I suppose that’s ok.

[/quote]

No answers for MRI?

[/quote]

Rehab sounds good, but if I was you I’d be working on some single leg stability.

"Your mindset would be pretty messed up after 8 years of backwards progress and a medical industry that repeatedly either ignores or gives up on you. "

No it wouldn’t, I consider myself mentally tough. But hey that’s what sports teaches you.
Again your playing the blame game, blaming other people for not figuring out your problems. Take some initiative in your life and show some fortitude.

[/quote]
And that would look like what exactly? Who else should I blame? These people have been paid thousands of dollars by me to figure out my problem. These people are supposed to be qualified. I don’t have the qualifications to diagnose myself.

Mental toughness has nothing to do with it. I’ve been working on this for 10 years, sometimes traveling hours each way to see practioners.

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]darsemnos wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:I

[/quote]

[/quote]

I suppose that’s ok.

[/quote]

No answers for MRI?

[/quote]

[/quote]
And that would look like what exactly? Who else should I blame? These people have been paid thousands of dollars by me to figure out my problem. These people are supposed to be qualified. I don’t have the qualifications to diagnose myself.

Mental toughness has nothing to do with it. I’ve been working on this for 10 years, sometimes traveling hours each way to see practitioners.

Im sorry you feel this way but, these people aren’t miracle workers. As for throwing your money away, Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

All I see is it’s all their fault, they can’t do this, they can’t do that. Be grateful you can even walk, gain some perspective. Go observe some people with ALS, SCI’s, CVA’s, then maybe you’ll toughen up a little, put some big boy pants on, and realize this ain’t so bad. You have zero pain, you continue to complain about poor alignment and keep asking for a quick fix. There are multiple suggestions you can take em or leave em in this thread (exam your feet, ligamentous testing, stability exercises, squatting techniques, taping, bracing, knee sleeves).

Im officially unsubscribed to this thread, sorry I couldn’t provide more help. Maybe someone else can help you here.

[quote]BHOLL wrote:
Im sorry you feel this way but, these people aren’t miracle workers. As for throwing your money away, Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.

All I see is it’s all their fault, they can’t do this, they can’t do that. Be grateful you can even walk, gain some perspective. Go observe some people with ALS, SCI’s, CVA’s, then maybe you’ll toughen up a little, put some big boy pants on, and realize this ain’t so bad. You have zero pain, you continue to complain about poor alignment and keep asking for a quick fix. There are multiple suggestions you can take em or leave em in this thread (exam your feet, ligamentous testing, stability exercises, squatting techniques, taping, bracing, knee sleeves).

Im officially unsubscribed to this thread, sorry I couldn’t provide more help. Maybe someone else can help you here. [/quote]
I’m not asking for miracle workers. I’ve worked with some people for a year and a half straight, so don’t give me any of that quick fix bull.

from the vid…

the side-on angle looked to me like on your descent you were shifting your weight from your heels forwards onto your toes. i thought i saw your heels come up off the ground a little, or maybe that was my imagination, but if they didn’t actually come off the ground it looked close…

your knees are coming forwards quite a lot. you are losing your lumbar arch at the bottom - hitting a relaxed bottom position with your tail tucking under. you aren’t really driving out the hole with your glutes / posterior chain. so… well… when i squat like that my knees feel a bit wobbly.

• external rotation of the femur… there was an article on this site. i’ll dig it out. about really shoving those knees out really hard indeed to the sides. much harder than you are doing. think… like a frog. i don’t see knee cave on your squats, but (and this is a bit controversial) you might profit from driving them out harder to the sides than you are currently doing.

• you might be a bit restricted in your lateral rotation of the hip. x band walks. how are your lateral rotators doing? have you tried sitting on your foam roller / rolling around sitting on a baseball? there could be a weakness with your glutes…

• i don’t really see anything abnormal looking with your legs, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t anything… I think I remember reading something about legs developing oddly sometimes in ballet dancers… Shirley Sharman, I think… Maybe get your hands on it and see what she has to say for rehab exercises…

screw… flare…

Could it be a meniscus issue?