Can't Find a Full Meet

I’m a novice PLer looking to do my first meet. I found one on powerliftingwatch.com in Ohio March 29 and was all excitedt to enter. They even had a RAW division, which I planned to lift in for my first meet. However, when I looked at the entry form, it is only a push/pull meet. This is odd because the same meet in 07 was a full meet. I searched again on powerliftingwatch.com, and Ohio (where I live) and Michigan have no full meets, except high level ones you need to have totals for. Anyone know of a way to find full meets locally?

I think Detroit Barbell puts on a meet in March or April. It would probbaly be somewhere around the Detroit area. They have a good club up there. I don’t know how their meets are though.

OK man…There is a meet in SCranton PA, Jan. 27th… but the deadline for the entry for in the 5th.;… so it has to be in soon! Look it up man… Oh and its USAPL

The Battle of the Great Lakes, right? I’m 99% sure it is a full meet. I found that one a while back and was thinking about doing that as my first meet too.

Are you sure you were looking at the right entry form? They have a few meets going on that site and I think some are only BP or BP/DL.

This was the entry form I found. Definitely has a full comp option.
http://www.bigkspowermeets.com/files/BGL%20Registration.pdf

[quote]Chefbc14 wrote:
OK man…There is a meet in SCranton PA, Jan. 27th… but the deadline for the entry for in the 5th.;… so it has to be in soon! Look it up man… Oh and its USAPL[/quote]

If you’re willing to go as far as Scranton, then USAPL will also be hosting PA states, I believe March 30th or so. Plenty of time to plan a 10 week cycle.

Dre, Buckeye Girl is correct, that is the entry form and it is a full meet. I am actually training for it right now and will be competing raw in the 220’s. Hope to see both of you there!

The WNPF does meets in Ohio.

I feel like an idiot now. I was so caught up in looking at the logo where it said BP/DL, I overlooked the rest of it. I have been dealing with some other stuff right now so needless to say my head hasn’t been totally clear.

Donut, I plan on doing the RAW 220s and the novice divison. I am healing up from an injury so let’s see how things will go.

You gonna be there too Buckeye Girl?

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Dre, Buckeye Girl is correct, that is the entry form and it is a full meet. I am actually training for it right now and will be competing raw in the 220’s. Hope to see both of you there![/quote]

I might also participate in this meet for my first competition.

I’m thinking of competing in the bench and deadlift portion of the meet @ 165 in the raw and novice division too. I’m a little worried though, never done any powerlifting meets before, and am not sure what to expect.

Today was my first time using a bench shirt, so I’m just getting my feet wet in this sport as well.

-xb

[quote]xb100 wrote:

I’m thinking of competing in the bench and deadlift portion of the meet @ 165 in the raw and novice division too. I’m a little worried though, never done any powerlifting meets before, and am not sure what to expect.

Today was my first time using a bench shirt, so I’m just getting my feet wet in this sport as well.

-xb[/quote]

Not sure if this is obvious or not - but you mentioned a bench shirt and also competing in the raw division…raw does not allow bench shirts, just making sure you don’t make a mistake when entering!

To the original poster- here is the link for michigan’s usapl meets for 08: Free Website Building Software | Create a Website - Homestead

The one in april is full meet, pretty sure the feb one too. I think detroit barbell is in the apf(?) so you could also check out their one too.

[quote]DK wrote:
xb100 wrote:

-xb

Not sure if this is obvious or not - but you mentioned a bench shirt and also competing in the raw division…raw does not allow bench shirts, just making sure you don’t make a mistake when entering!

To the original poster- here is the link for michigan’s usapl meets for 08: Free Website Building Software | Create a Website - Homestead

The one in april is full meet, pretty sure the feb one too. I think detroit barbell is in the apf(?) so you could also check out their one too.[/quote]

I understand the difference between gear and raw. Reason I’m not competing in gear is because of the little time I’d have to train in it, and lack of funds to get the shirt/suit.

Thanks for the heads up though!

-xb

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
I feel like an idiot now. I was so caught up in looking at the logo where it said BP/DL, I overlooked the rest of it. I have been dealing with some other stuff right now so needless to say my head hasn’t been totally clear.

Donut, I plan on doing the RAW 220s and the novice divison. I am healing up from an injury so let’s see how things will go.

You gonna be there too Buckeye Girl?

Donut62 wrote:
Dre, Buckeye Girl is correct, that is the entry form and it is a full meet. I am actually training for it right now and will be competing raw in the 220’s. Hope to see both of you there!

[/quote]

Good stuff. Looks like we’ll several of us there. I need to get back to eating christmas cookies so I can get up to 220.

Man, I wish I had to eat cookies to make weight. I have to lose about 10 pounds.

I’m seriously considering the meet. But, I have some goals that I would like to reach before competing. March 29 doesn’t seem so far away which makes me nervous, but I think it would be a good first meet and its close to home which should make things easier.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
I’m seriously considering the meet. But, I have some goals that I would like to reach before competing. [/quote]

You should just do the meet. Don’t worry about lifting X and Y before competing, you will learn more about how to train and get your goals quicker after you compete.

[quote] Matt wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
I’m seriously considering the meet. But, I have some goals that I would like to reach before competing.

You should just do the meet. Don’t worry about lifting X and Y before competing, you will learn more about how to train and get your goals quicker after you compete.[/quote]

Definitely enter, first few meets are practice anyway just to get you used to doing it. If you keep on saying “next time” you never will.

I actually just got an email about this meet, little bit of a drive but I think I will think about doing it.

[quote] Matt wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
I’m seriously considering the meet. But, I have some goals that I would like to reach before competing.

You should just do the meet. Don’t worry about lifting X and Y before competing, you will learn more about how to train and get your goals quicker after you compete.[/quote]

Agreed, and I wouldn’t worry about making weight, unless you think you are going to be able to qualify for a bigger meet at a lower weight. Just go and compete, have fun, and get some experience.

ok, the unofficial first meet date is going to be April 26. The Iron House Classic.

There is too much other stuff going on around the time of the Battle of the Great Lakes

ok, the unofficial first meet date is going to be April 26. The Iron House Classic.

There is too much other stuff going on around the time of the Battle of the Great Lakes [/quote]

curses life

Anyone else still in?

There is too much other stuff going on around the time of the Battle of the Great Lakes [/quote]

Are you going to compete raw or with equipment?

Claire

[quote]cvb wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:

There is too much other stuff going on around the time of the Battle of the Great Lakes

Are you going to compete raw or with equipment?

Claire[/quote]

I’d like to compete with equipment. That’s one of the reasons why that is the unofficial date. I still need to get it and train with it. Should have my own bench shirt and a squat suit in no more than 2 weeks.