Can't Figure Out Power Cleans

I’m having a lot of trouble with the lift of the power clean. I am being able to do it but I know its wrong.

Do I lift it like a deadlift?
Do I use my arms at all or only jump and shrug?
Am I jumping just up or back and up?

[quote]Fluid wrote:
I’m having a lot of trouble with the lift of the power clean. I am being able to do it but I know its wrong.

Do I lift it like a deadlift?
Do I use my arms at all or only jump and shrug?
Am I jumping just up or back and up?[/quote]

I lift it like a deadlift until the bar gets to my thighs and then I drive up. Obviously, the kinetic chain should start when you first pull.

As for your arms, no not really. Just keep them straight.

I launch from the front of my feet STRAIGHT UP, land on them, and rock back to my heels a tad. My feet land and stay where they initially left.

its virtually impossible to do it right without direct professional coaching. oly lifts must be done thousands of times before it is perfected.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#The_Powerclean

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Power

There’s series of videos with a chinese guy on youtube but I can’t find them.

1. Drive with legs, on the balls, with arm straight till about mid thigh

2. Continue with legs but shove your hips up and forward, this should accelerate the bar upwards further, shrugging your shoulders back. Like a jump

3. When the bar is at about shoulder height flick your arms (not wrist) under the bar so that your arms and wrists are straight.

4. Catch the bar by bending your legs slightly to absorb it. As you get more weight the leg bender will get lower/almost squatting

-The feet should be set up in deadlift position with hands about an inch into the knurl/rough of the bar.

-The bar should be below your upper trap, ie low bar position of the squat

-The grip is a hook grip ie overhand and should be tight enough to prevent slippage but not so tight that you can feel it in your shoulders.

-Depending on how long/short your legs and trunk are your legs/back angle would be about a partial squat angle. However your back should be straight. Look at your deadlift position and that’s it.

go to utube and type in “power clean” you’ll see plenty “how to’s” videos

for the olympic movements, find a coach,…vids can only show and tell so much
if you are at a commercial gym, unless they have direct experience…DO NOT ASK A PERSONAL TRAINER…try to find an “athlete”

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
for the olympic movements, find a coach,…vids can only show and tell so much
if you are at a commercial gym, unless they have direct experience…DO NOT ASK A PERSONAL TRAINER…try to find an “athlete”[/quote]

I agree with this advice whole heartedly. Most Personal trainers do not know how to do a proper power clean. An athlete (who knows hot to do it properly) or a S&C Coach would be a much better option.

One more piece of advice I would give, try doing a hang clean first. You do not have to worry about doing it off the floor, so thats one less movement you do in the beginning. And remember, it is going to take time, I’m still perfecting the technique on mine.

Working on perfecting the technique is half the fun of Oly lifts. Maybe even more than half.

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#The_Powerclean

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Power

There’s series of videos with a chinese guy on youtube but I can’t find them.

1. Drive with legs, on the balls, with arm straight till about mid thigh

2. Continue with legs but shove your hips up and forward, this should accelerate the bar upwards further, shrugging your shoulders back. Like a jump

3. When the bar is at about shoulder height flick your arms (not wrist) under the bar so that your arms and wrists are straight.

4. Catch the bar by bending your legs slightly to absorb it. As you get more weight the leg bender will get lower/almost squatting

-The feet should be set up in deadlift position with hands about an inch into the knurl/rough of the bar.

-The bar should be below your upper trap, ie low bar position of the squat

-The grip is a hook grip ie overhand and should be tight enough to prevent slippage but not so tight that you can feel it in your shoulders.

-Depending on how long/short your legs and trunk are your legs/back angle would be about a partial squat angle. However your back should be straight. Look at your deadlift position and that’s it.
[/quote]

Exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. Thanks man!

Pas probleme