Hey so I’m new to the world of working out and I know I have to the motivation go to the gym everyday, but I find myself disappointed by how little I can accomplish. I’m hoping you guys can give me some tips on building strength when I seem to have absolutely none.
Rome was not built in a day. Neither is muscle. It will take time and effort.
- Pick a good beginner’s program based primarily on heavy barbell lifts.
- Start out with light weights. Your first few workouts might almost feel too light.
- Don’t worry too much about FAST progress - slow, sustainable progress is fine.
- Go to the gym 3 or more times per week while FOLLOWING THAT PROGRAM.
- Don’t change X, Y, and Z in the program because you think you know better.
- Give that program at least 4-6 weeks before you decide whether it is working or not.
- Eat a lot of meat, fruit, vegetables, and some clean carbohydrates.
Exactly how you progress will depend on a lot of things - how old you are, whether you are skinny vs. a fat guy/girl hoping to slim down, etc. Don’t focus too much on what you cannot do, but rather what you CAN do. That might mean starting with an empty bar. Don’t worry, we were all there once. People may snicker, but who cares. You’ll make progress.
Nothing to add here.
pretty much what the above poster said was pretty spot on. some examples of good beginner programs are: Starting Strength, Fierce 5, ICF 5x5
As far as nutrition i would recommend making sure your in a small surplus of calories