Can't Do Squats and Deads

Hallo Jim,

I have a big problem. Because of some disbalances in my hips and my waist I can´t full squats and deadlifts. Half-squats and rack-deadlifts are possible.

I was wondering if there is any alternative for full squats and deadlifts which I can do.

Thanks man.

Hi there,
Paul Carter (LRB) listed these exercises as substitutes if you really can’t do squats and deadlifts:

Hack Squat or machine squat and for the deadlift a chest supported row.

Man, if you legitimately can’t do squats and deadlifts, just do what you can. If you’re going to use the 5/3/1 scheme to do it, make sure it’s a significant compound movement with as much a range of motion as you can safely manage.

I’m making the point about making sure it’s compound and large range of motion because the 5/3/1 scheme and progression is not suited for short movements and/or isolation. Just make sure you’re using your head on this one, and again, be safe.

Thanks guys.
I will try the hack squats for sure. Maybe I could handle them better than normal squats.
But chest supported rows? Do you mean something like that?

Deadlifts are for the lower back and the hams and gluts. Butt chest supported rows are for the upper back, aren´t they?

Bodyweight rear leg elevated split squats for 100 reps. Then spend the rest of the time fixing your shit so you can squat and deadlift. Do what you can to train legs, if anything, and fix your “imbalances”

Train what is trainable - there are about a million different LB variations here on TNation. Check out some of the stuff from Ben Bruno - I think the dude as a peg leg and can only do 1 legged movements. Fucking pirate.

What you can or cannot do is something I cannot tell you - I saw a guy walking the other day on his hands because he had no legs. So should I tell him he can’t “walk”?

[quote]John_Meadows_Fan wrote:
Hallo Jim,

I have a big problem. Because of some disbalances in my hips and my waist I can�´t full squats and deadlifts. Half-squats and rack-deadlifts are possible.

I was wondering if there is any alternative for full squats and deadlifts which I can do.

Thanks man.
[/quote]

What are your disbalances? Are they fixable?

RB

I also have some low back issues and back squatting and dl’ing aggravate them.

I use front squats instead and my back and hips feel much better.

For deadlift I’ve substituted in glute bridges. Not a perfect substitute by any means but I’m seeing good progress on my front squats and glute bridges and my back is feeling much better.

I plan to give DLing a try in another couple of months.

I have femoral actetabular impingement which hinders my squatting and DLing as well. I can DO the full ROM, but the price is pain, increased tearing of the labrum and grinding that will hasten the need for a hip replacement. It can be fixed surgically, but right now the 6 weeks off work just isn’t an option. In the meantime, I’ve modified the lifts I use for my 5/3/1 program for the last several months and they have been working quite well.

For SQ I do squats down to a 17" box. I use the box ONLY as a depth marker, NOT to sit back on. I’m short, so it equals to 2-3 inches above parallel.

For the DL I do 6" block pulls. Just elevate the plates up on 6" blocks and pull from there. Depending on your height, hip ROM, etc. you may have to experiment with it. Maybe an 8" block would work better.

Neither is ideal for competing as the the mechanics change and you don’t really get to work the typical weak spots for both lifts (if you are a raw lifter like I am), but it still lets you train and gets you strong as hell. In a give / take situation you just have to make due with what you can.