T Nation

Can't Do Pull-Ups & Chins

Anyone else can no longer do pull-ups or chins due to years of putting on mass? now you’re too damn heavy to pull yourself up the bar? that sucks!!

suggestions? besides the obvious lose weight.
strength afficianodos only please.

[quote]sumabeast wrote:
Anyone else can no longer do pull-ups or chins due to years of putting on mass? now you’re too damn heavy to pull yourself up the bar? that sucks!!

strength afficianodos only please.[/quote]

You can do pull downs on the cable machine.

Also you can use the assisted pullup contraption.

Do partials and timed hangs and see if that helps you get closer to doing full pullups.

[quote]sumabeast wrote:

strength afficianodos only please.[/quote]

what sort of “mass” have you been putting on? i’m sure if you had gained a proportional amount of bicep, upper back, and lat mass you’d have no issue.

[quote]ZedLeppelin wrote:

what sort of “mass” have you been putting on? i’m sure if you had gained a proportional amount of bicep, upper back, and lat mass you’d have no issue.[/quote]

Very true. Your strength is supposed to be going up with your weight.

I can do more chins now at 270 than I could at 180.

I’ve taken my weight from about 150 when I began lifting to 230-235 (I’m 5’10)…I can do many more pullups now than I could when I started, but not as many as I could when I was around 190.

I can see how you might have a big dropoff if you stopped doing them for awhile while you gained weight. I can also see it if your bodyfat is very high (as in above 20%)…If they’ve been in your routines while you gained the weight, you shouldn’t just lose the ability to chin.

Thing is, if you’re a SHW P’lifter, there’s really no reason for you to chin yourself…it’s not worth it. But otherwise it’s a bodyfat issue. Even a 250+ guy in decent condition should be able to knock off 7 or 8 clean chins, and many guys bigger than that can do many many more. Matt Kroczalewski does sets of like 30 if I’m not mistaken, and he’s over 250. But if you’re overfat you’re going to have some problems.

I see no reason why anyone under 300 pounds can’t do pull ups. Jesse Marunde has a video doing clapping pull ups. Nevertheless, I totally agree they are hard. My observation is that pull ups are something that has a very sharp “learning curve”. You start off doing 0 and then one day you knock out 4. After that, it gets hard again.

I would stay away from the machine- thats just me. Instead, cross your legs and put them in a buddy’s hands. As you start to pull and you aren’t moving, push off with your feet (try to stand up in his laced hands). You should be able to do this after some time. Try to use less and less every time.

I like doing weighted pull ups so that way I have to do less. My best is with a 45 for 4. After that, I just get lazy. Let me know if this works for you. Good luck!

Try using bands. Loop them over the top, then stand in them. Use progressively lighter bands.

Fat man pull-ups

What’s a clapping pull up?

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
I see no reason why anyone under 300 pounds can’t do pull ups. Jesse Marunde has a video doing clapping pull ups. Nevertheless, I totally agree they are hard. My observation is that pull ups are something that has a very sharp “learning curve”. You start off doing 0 and then one day you knock out 4. After that, it gets hard again.

I would stay away from the machine- thats just me. Instead, cross your legs and put them in a buddy’s hands. As you start to pull and you aren’t moving, push off with your feet (try to stand up in his laced hands). You should be able to do this after some time. Try to use less and less every time.

I like doing weighted pull ups so that way I have to do less. My best is with a 45 for 4. After that, I just get lazy. Let me know if this works for you. Good luck![/quote]

[quote]
Thing is, if you’re a SHW P’lifter, there’s really no reason for you to chin yourself…it’s not worth it. But otherwise it’s a bodyfat issue. Even a 250+ guy in decent condition should be able to knock off 7 or 8 clean chins, and many guys bigger than that can do many many more. Matt Kroczalewski does sets of like 30 if I’m not mistaken, and he’s over 250. But if you’re overfat you’re going to have some problems. [/quote]

I just (would love) doing them. besides p’lifter stuff I do is for me not competition.
but I’m just carrying too much bf, which I already knew.

[quote]scottyz wrote:
Try using bands. Loop them over the top, then stand in them. Use progressively lighter bands. [/quote]

I thought of that, but that would require some super long bands, at least longer than you typically see right?

[quote]sumabeast wrote:
scottyz wrote:
Try using bands. Loop them over the top, then stand in them. Use progressively lighter bands.

I thought of that, but that would require some super long bands, at least longer than you typically see right?[/quote]

Depends on where you chin. If you do it in a power rack you can tie it off across the pins. If you have a dip/chin station you may be able to tie it across the dip handles.

[quote]F13 wrote:
What’s a clapping pull up?

dead_lifter5000 wrote:

I like doing weighted pull ups so that way I have to do less. My best is with a 45 for 4. After that, I just get lazy. Let me know if this works for you. Good luck!

[/quote]

www.marunde-muscle.com/videos/407x20.mpg

Focusing on strengthening your abs with lower rep/high tension stuff will help too.

As will a powerful ab/glute contraction while you are attempting to chin yourself. Many do not realize how important a role the abs play in chin-up/pull-up ability.

The best moves for this would be things like:

-Saxon sidebends
-Turkish get-ups
-Windmills
-Hanging Pikes w/ a controlled negative
-Janda sit-ups

…and the like

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_100back

I do my chin ups on the squat rack and rest either one or both legs on the oly bar which I set up to meet the toes of my feet. I push with the feet to help up when I reach failure. I find this is better than a spotter as you can monitor how much of a push you need on from rep to rep.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
sumabeast wrote:
scottyz wrote:

I thought of that, but that would require some super long bands, at least longer than you typically see right?

Depends on where you chin. If you do it in a power rack you can tie it off across the pins. If you have a dip/chin station you may be able to tie it across the dip handles.[/quote]

You just take the band over the handle your pulling on then stand on the other end unless you 4’ its going to gaive tension.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Testy1 wrote:
sumabeast wrote:
scottyz wrote:

Depends on where you chin. If you do it in a power rack you can tie it off across the pins. If you have a dip/chin station you may be able to tie it across the dip handles.

You just take the band over the handle your pulling on then stand on the other end unless you 4’ its going to gaive tension.

[/quote]

This seems to be you best bet. I weight 245 and can do 13 pull-ups. But I did notice when I didn’t do pullups for a while, or only did them once a week, I couldn’t get past 7 or 8. Just be consistant with them and you’ll be alright. Another thing you might want to check out is CP’s “Back to basics artical” It has a progression for folks who can chin their bodyweight (mostly using negatives), this artical is pretty complete.

Will42

I have gained 40 lbs in the last 6-7 months, and I didn’t lose my ability to chin. I can’t do as many reps as I could when I was lighter, but my max weight for a weighted chin has certainly not decreased. It seems to me that reps in the pull-up/chin-up requires frequent practice while max strength can be improved with only one intense session per week.

To me being able to say I can do more than 8 chin-ups just wasn’t worth the time and energy it took away from other aspects of training. I would do 30 chins for time once a week and the time stayed the exact same for three weeks; I only improved after the first week.

I just do weighted chins once a week now and get better max strength and more time to develop different lifts, more bang for your book. Max weighted chin strength seems to be correlated with overall body strength more than repetition strength, although people that do a lot of repetitions in the chin can usually do a big max chin. Just my experience.

Start doing negatives only. When you can do around 12, you should be able to start doing full chins.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
I have gained 40 lbs in the last 6-7 months, and I didn’t lose my ability to chin. I can’t do as many reps as I could when I was lighter, but my max weight for a weighted chin has certainly not decreased. It seems to me that reps in the pull-up/chin-up requires frequent practice while max strength can be improved with only one intense session per week.

To me being able to say I can do more than 8 chin-ups just wasn’t worth the time and energy it took away from other aspects of training. I would do 30 chins for time once a week and the time stayed the exact same for three weeks; I only improved after the first week.

I just do weighted chins once a week now and get better max strength and more time to develop different lifts, more bang for your book. Max weighted chin strength seems to be correlated with overall body strength more than repetition strength, although people that do a lot of repetitions in the chin can usually do a big max chin. Just my experience.[/quote]

This is crazy but I have the same thing. I went from 185 - 235 and can do less chins, but I can do a weighteds chin and add more load to my BW then I could at the lower weight.

Guess its the more fast twitch dominance ive trained for. suppose if I focused on bringing the reps up I could.