Can't Do Bicep Curls

im getting back into woking out after an injury that prevented me from doing anything for 6months but im having trouble with bicep curls…

after i do my 5sets of 10reps, my biceps feel a little worked but my wrists feel very worked. In other words, it feels like im doing wrist curls as opposed to bicep curls!!! ive tried doing them by keeping my elbow tucked into my thigh and by using a inflatable gym ball, as well as keeping my wrists as straight as possible throughout but nothing works.

as anyone got suggestions to fix this or has any other exercises i can do for my biceps? i work out at home, so dont have many accessories to help

thanks

What was the nature of the injury.

Yeah, I’ve had that feeling before, and my suggestion is instead of curling the bar up, you sort of drag it up along the body until the bicep is fully contracted. This puts more emphasis on the bicep and less on the forearm.

[quote]caneman wrote:
Yeah, I’ve had that feeling before, and my suggestion is instead of curling the bar up, you sort of drag it up along the body until the bicep is fully contracted. This puts more emphasis on the bicep and less on the forearm. [/quote]

Exactly, this is actually called a “drag curl”. You may also want to try your curls with a wrist band of some type, to help support the wrist joint. This should help reduce the work the wrist needs to do, which in turn should reduce the forearm stress. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Same thing happens to me, I had to take a break from barbell curls and only do dumbell curls for a few months, then I was able to go back to barbell curls but only with a cambered grip

Forearm muscles tend to build up lactic acid quite quickly, and since you are starting over and “untrained” your ability to disapate the lactic acid has also diminished.

IMO keep working your wrists and forearms.

As for working the Bi’s, instead of curling use a pulling exercise, (ie rows, pull ups). This will take away the excess downward force from your wrists, but will still work your forearms.

If th pain you have is more of a tingling, then its something eles.

Exactly as above said keep working it dont dodge it by using wrist wraps to do curls etc. Everyone has a weak link on every exercise yours on this one is your wrists. attack that weakness and make it a strong point. it will pay off in the end.

Strenghten and strecth the wrists. Keep doing the curls etc letting the writst be the limiting factor until you have fixed the problem and you have a new weak link then fix it.

Phill

Nike makes some nice lifting gloves with great wrist support wraps for only about 25 bucks, i got them and i have no strain on my wrists in any workout!

when i do them i use an ez bar…reduces the stress on the wrist and forearm…

dont forget to squat and dl now :wink:

[quote]Damron1474 wrote:
Nike makes some nice lifting gloves with great wrist support wraps for only about 25 bucks, i got them and i have no strain on my wrists in any workout![/quote]

The only thing Wrist straps are going to do for him is make him weaker. He has not done any lifting for 6 months.

Its simple the muscles need to be trained again.

I get this feeling sometimes when using a barbell. So I use DBs. Sorted.