T Nation

Can't Always Eat on Schedule. Tips?

i know one of the 7 good eating habits posted is to eat 2-3 hours no matter what. what if i cant eat within that time period? what if its like 5 or 6 hors after my last meal?

this sometimes happens to me and when it does i dont know what to eat. i try to stick to protein and carbs after waking up and after a workout and protein and fat every other time.

but sometimes i just cant stick to eating protein and fat because i wont have anything to cook that has what i need. what should i do when this happens?

Well…first buy the things that you will need to fix an appropriate meal and make sure to keep those things on hand. When you have the time, cook enough to have a couple days worth of food ready to be reheated at any convenience. Second, eat when you can. If it is 5-6 hours apart, fine. Just get the meal when you can.

You must always be prepared. So make a list of what you want and need, go buy it, and get to cooking.

This happens to me sometimes too, I dont get a good breakfast in but I dont go 5 hours without eating. 4 at most, but I just make up for it in the next meal.

Its like a sin for me to not meet my dieting standards day by day. If I have to stay up for an extra 2 hours to get that protein, I will. Thats how dedicated I am to this. Hope this helps, just make up for it.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
i know one of the 7 good eating habits posted is to eat 2-3 hours no matter what. what if i cant eat within that time period? what if its like 5 or 6 hors after my last meal?

this sometimes happens to me and when it does i dont know what to eat. i try to stick to protein and carbs after waking up and after a workout and protein and fat every other time.

but sometimes i just cant stick to eating protein and fat because i wont have anything to cook that has what i need. what should i do when this happens?[/quote]

First, why is your diet that concerned with eating “protein and carbs” or “protein and fats” only? I can’t believe how many people actually think that makes a significant difference in your progress. I personally consider that entire concept overhyped.

As far as skipping meals, that is why you prepare your meals ahead of time. Before I had a fridge in my office, I was carrying a large cooler with me to work. I still bring 4 “meals” (one is a MRP and two are protein shakes) with me everyday and rarely do I miss one. If you aren’t prepared to make that sort of commitment, there isn’t much anyone can do for you. You have to put the time in.

I would add to what’s been said that it’s more a matter of discipline and consistency than time.

If you’re not an idiot you can figure out how to purchase and prepare food ahead of time so that you’re not spending much more time on food than regular people.

It may be a bit of a hurdle to get your head around the fact that you’re not going to be dealing with food the way all the people around you are (you’re going to be purchasing your food in bulk, preparing it days in advance and keeping it in the fridge, and taking meals with you wherever you go.

People WILL think you are weird.). Get over that hurdle as soon as possible.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

First, why is your diet that concerned with eating “protein and carbs” or “protein and fats” only? I can’t believe how many people actually think that makes a significant difference in your progress…[/quote]

thats what i was told would be good by somebody on here. what would you suggets X? i know you’ve been on here for a while. could you give me some advice? what should me diet consist of?

i wanna lose some fat right know that i’m taking HOT-ROX Extreme along with protein shake post workout.

If you honestly cant, which would be very rare and more like others said a lack of preparation and commitment, then just be sure to have a biggggg ass meal that will take a long time to digest. eat a big friggin steak, potato, veggies etc

Phill

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

First, why is your diet that concerned with eating “protein and carbs” or “protein and fats” only? I can’t believe how many people actually think that makes a significant difference in your progress…

thats what i was told would be good by somebody on here. what would you suggets X? i know you’ve been on here for a while. could you give me some advice? what should me diet consist of?

i wanna lose some fat right know that i’m taking HOT-ROX Extreme along with protein shake post workout.[/quote]

I suggest you get a better general understanding of foods that will help you reach your goal rather than doing shit simply because someone said so. When dieting, the first thing checked on my list is protein. The next is overall calories.

That does NOT mean all you need is protein. It means that in the attempt to hold onto as much muscle as possible, my protein intake has to be significant enough to keep my body from using muscle as a large source of energy. This will happen if my protein is too low AND if my overall caloric intake is too low. That means if you eat too little, no matter what you do you will end up losing a great deal of muscle mass.

First, where are you right now? What are your stats? That dictates what you should be doing now. If you are some untrained newbie who is simply worried about abs even though you weigh less than average weight for your height, maybe you shouldn’t be “dieting” at all right now.

Just get some Metabolic Drive bars and keep them handy. If you’re 5-6 hours in between your normal meals, just have one or two of those with some water in between that time.