Can't Add Weight to My Squat

I don’t know what is with it but for some reason I can’t squat more than 115lb. I’m going all the way down and practicing before hand to ensure good form.

A video is needed.

How is your lower back strength? Being that squats are a compound exercise your back comes into play as well as your arms. I had a problem getting my squat past 135, until I started doing deadlifts and romanian deadlifts.

In order to grow you need constant progression (at least that is the only way i grow in strength or size) If you can’t lift more than what you are try adding a few more reps per set. Then the next week try to add 5lbs a side and see if you can get a rep.

Most of all remember that this journey is a marathon and not a sprint. Most of the great physiques you see on here is from many years of hard work.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

[quote]IronScholar wrote:
How is your lower back strength? Being that squats are a compound exercise your back comes into play as well as your arms. [/quote]

Not to mention your LEGS.

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
IronScholar wrote:
How is your lower back strength? Being that squats are a compound exercise your back comes into play as well as your arms.

Not to mention your LEGS.
[/quote]

Well that is the obvious yes. From my experience My legs weren’t the problem, and maybe his aren’t the problem either.

Could you actually give LESS info? Lol. How often do you train squats? Legs? Do you dedicate a workout to your legs? How long have you been squatting? Do you perform your squats at the beginning of your workout? What kind of rep/set scheme do you use?

I do a 3 day split, back/tri, bi’s/chest, legs/shoulders. I haven’t been doing squats long at all, maybe like 2 weeks. I do 4 sets 8-12 reps. my lower back isn’t to incredably strong, but my legs have never been a problem. sure I can do 135 if I don’t go all the way down, but I wonna do this right.

When I started training, my squat stalled because I had the bar too far up on my back and I couldn’t get proper balance. With no info, who really knows if this is your problem but after I changed that I went from working out with 135 to 225 in about 3 weeks.

[quote]Higgins wrote:
When I started training, my squat stalled because I had the bar too far up on my back and I couldn’t get proper balance. With no info, who really knows if this is your problem but after I changed that I went from working out with 135 to 225 in about 3 weeks.[/quote]

that could be my problem, but I’m gonna start working more with front squats( I have the same problem there)and I here there better for taller people.

Start deadlifting.

Try harder, and report back in a month. Don’t forget to eat, either.

In truth, you have only been squatting for two weeks, we have no way to break down your form. Not to mention that squats are hard ass work, and most people don’t like that kind of thing.

Bust your ass for a month, I bet you will get stronger. And squat one a week, and deadlift one other time during the week, not in the same workout, nor in a consecutive day.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Start deadlifting.[/quote]

And squat more often. If you’re new at it, you know how you get better? practice. All the time.

Surfing the net at night? Grab a broomstick, put it on your back and practice. Getting the bar on your back more during actual training sessions will likely help too.

Maybe…put more weight on the bar?

I’m sure its a form issue, I have never met anyone who could squat correctly the first time doing it seems you have maybe done 3 sessions.

Watch the squat rx videos on youtube Squat Rx #1 - YouTube watch all of them and just keep practicing and your squats will jump up in no time.

Are you sure its not a mental barrier issue? Most guys in my gym won’t even go heavy on squats(rarely do i see a 3 plate squatter) because they #1 don’t have the form down, and #2 get freaked out by how heavy the weight feels on their body!!!

Learn to just progress and add weight. I think your capable of more than your telling us, but you have to convince your mind you can do it!!!

[quote]Higgins wrote:
When I started training, my squat stalled because I had the bar too far up on my back and I couldn’t get proper balance. With no info, who really knows if this is your problem but after I changed that I went from working out with 135 to 225 in about 3 weeks.[/quote]

So you mean you were doing a high bar squat…or something else?
I have the bar high up aswell.

You’ve been squatting for 2 weeks. Lift and eat for a few years

[quote]Zagman wrote:
Try harder, and report back in a month. Don’t forget to eat, either.

In truth, you have only been squatting for two weeks, we have no way to break down your form. Not to mention that squats are hard ass work, and most people don’t like that kind of thing.

Bust your ass for a month, I bet you will get stronger. And squat one a week, and deadlift one other time during the week, not in the same workout, nor in a consecutive day.[/quote]

I would post a video but I don’t have a camera, I go as low as possible and keep going until my legs give out… I’m not sure how much harder I can go. So I’m gonna deadlift until I vomit today and see if that helps in the up coming weeks =D

If your form is the root of the problem in squatting then I wouldn’t suggest trying heavy deadlifts right off the bat as a solution.

Start out doing partials with barely any weight (use the bar if need be), have someone watch you from the side if you can to ensure that your form is solid. Also, look for some video demonstrations for tips.

Good luck!

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
You’ve been squatting for 2 weeks. Lift and eat for a few years[/quote]

This is really the only response needed.