T Nation

Canseco's Book

Anyone read it yet? I’m just about finished. It’s only like 280 pages, and there’s a couple pages between each chapter. If you’re interested in how steroids changed the game at all, I highly recommend it. It’s a very quick and entertaining read for the most part. In the middle it gets a little bit into his life, how he was wrongly portrayed in the media, racism in baseball, etc., but pretty much the whole last half of the book is about the steroids. A lot of pretty cool info and stories in there…

I think Canseco is a dick-licking jerkoff who’s just trying to make a buck off the whole steroid scandal. Which in turn has spawned a tidal wave of bullshit media frenzy on AAS/PH’s.

Don’t think so? Then go try to buy some MAG-10.

I wouldn’t piss down his throat if his heart was on fire, and I’m not going to buy his book.

Glad you like it though :slight_smile:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=merron/050216

He is also a fucking liar. Not saying that the juice isn’t rampant in baseball, but a quick fact check of just about every story dismisses Canseco’s credibility.

wideguy you’re right…jose canseco is just trying to make a quick buck to rebuild his shattered life.

that being said, i’m 100% sure the vast majority of the things he says in his book about steroids in baseball are true. it may be biased and hyped up a little (considering the source)and he may exaggerate things a little…but truth be told…the game of baseball is full of juicer’s, and thats a fact. its not like he’s saying anything we don’t already know. anyone exposed to the game at a high level…or anyone with the basic ability to observe and make educated, insightful deductions can tell you the game is far from clean.

He’s a has-been, can any of you honestly say you wouldn’t do the same? I haven’t read the book but I’m pretty sure it isn’t about how he killed kittens while on his roid rage but how rampant drugs are in professional sports. Big surprise to some people.

"I think Canseco is a dick-licking jerkoff who’s just trying to make a buck off the whole steroid scandal. Which in turn has spawned a tidal wave of bullshit media frenzy on AAS/PH’s.

Don’t think so? Then go try to buy some MAG-10.

I wouldn’t piss down his throat if his heart was on fire, and I’m not going to buy his book.

Glad you like it though :-)"

Whoa…LOL. Easy there, Wide :slight_smile: Didn’t mean to put the cattle prod on yer’ ass.

Seriously though, I understand your points. I think AAS/PH litigation was bound to happen soon anyway, but he certainly didn’t help slow the process. Hell McCain was calling for it back when the whole “98’ home run chase/androstene” craze swept the nation.

I’m just fascinated by the way “assistance” has penetrated and changed ALL sports, and, seeing as baseball is my favorite one, this one was a no-brainer read for me.

In all actuality, while I don’t doubt he’s doing it for a buck (doesn’t everybody write for money? I know I would, LOL), he actually says a lot of things that might surprise some people. He never claims the game needs to be cleaned up. In fact, he supports steroid use STILL, and believes that all athletes could and should use them under a physician’s care to become “super athletes”.

He also says that steroids aren’t going anywhere, they’re here to stay and people might as well just get used to it. He’s pretty much right. The scientists are ALWAYS one (or many) steps ahead of the testing. I have no desire to use chemical assistance, because, well, I just don’t need to. But you can bet your ass that if I was an athlete and I thought it was going to help me, I’d do it in a second, provided I was doing it the “right” way (regular blood tests, sane dosages, correct ancilliaries, etc.)

Phew, I think I’m done. For now :slight_smile:

Part of the problem. Not part of the solution.

I’m glad you got something out of the book CC. Not being sarcastic.

Would I have done the same (in ref. to Canseco’s writing the book). NO. I’d be kissing everyone’s fucking ass for the millions of dollars I got paid to PLAY A GAME and not be a greedy muck raking cocksuking cry-baby. But that’s me.

280 pages?

Seriously? It took him three fucking years to write 280 pages?

Wow.

I’m really fed up with sports media glorifying Canseco like he’s some sort of expert. He’s been a liar, a criminal, and stupid enough to get caught. That’s it. These sports media dorks are validating his exhistence by calling him a subject matter expert, then going another step forward in asking him what he thinks about Bonds and other players.

His quote on Bonds, more or less… “I don’t have personal knowlege of Bonds taking steroids, but in my heart I know without a doubt he’s used them…”

He’s just dancing around the topic like a pussy who doesn’t want to get sued.

If any of his accusations and stories are true, it doesn’t matter… He ratted on his boys and the game that made him famous in order to make a buck. He’s filth, he’s less than a man. He’s not even a respectable dog. How can you conduct yourself in that manner and still sleep at night? I’ll tell you why, because fucking ESPN and any other sports network interested in baseball is sucking his dick trying to get the story to either sell air-time or newspapers. I’m usually not so spun up on this sort of thing (Steroids, Balco, Etc.) but this cuts the cake. You didn’t hear of all this controversy when half of the eastern bloc countries had athletes popping positive left and right during the Olympics. But yet every time you turn on sports center over the last couple of weeks you see Canseco’s dumb ass in an A’s uniform hitting a dinger. It makes me want to puke.

And on top of all of that, he’s in the February playboy with his wife at a Playboy mansion costume party. So if you use illegal substances to get successful, turn into a criminal, go nearly bankrupt, then write a book diming out the sport and athletes that resurected the game like a fucking worm, it gets you into the Playboy mansion… Not only am I boycotting his book, but I’m boycotting Playboy from now on as well. Petty, sure, but I know I’m right on principal…

All this right before Spring training when the focus of Sports fans shifts from Football to Baseball. It’s brilliant marketing, but it’s bad bad bad for baseball…

-the end

Brad.

I’m very glad to see some honesty. It should be expected that a ton of irrational hatred will be coming at Canseco. Here we see people apparently pissed because Canseco is being honest instead of shutting up and kissing ass.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1108758038630.McGwire.jpg

I think all of the anger at Canseco is misplaced. The American public is silly for getting so upset about the steroid “scandal” in the first place. Take a look at some pictures of Mark McGwire from 1998 or 1999, there is no way you could honestly tell yourself that he got to that size naturally or even by using andro. Baseball fans believed that baseball players were clean because they were content to lie to themselves. The evidence of steroid use was already right in everybody’s face.

Canseco is what he is. He is certainly not someone to be idolized. He is opportunistic and out for cash. However, his story is not farfetched to anyone with a brain. Bret Boone and Mark McGwire both have issued statements denying Canseco’s allegations. Tony LaRussa did too, earlier this week. LaRussa has since admitted that he did indeed have knowledge of steroid use in his club house while he was managing the A’s.

It is also important to recognize that baseball was in a real slump with regards to its fan base after the strike in 1994. It was the 1998 homerun race (made possible courtesy of steroids in baseball) that rekindled baseball’s popularity. The attacks on Canseco and the attacks on steroid use in professional baseball amount to hypocrisy, plain and simple.

Legislation outlawing prohormones and prosteroids was always on the cusp. This scandal precipitated that event, but it was always just a matter of time. Those who outlawed prohormones have no real idea what they do, how they work, or if they are actually dangerous or not. Similarly, they have no real understanding of steroids. Yet these same people have unlimited power to write laws which regulate the use of these substances.

Todd

Taking steroids to break a (baseball) record, or play in a game where your predecessors did not have the use of such things, strikes me as dishonest (not to mention the illegality of such usage).

However, then writing a book and mentioning other players names to further profit is detestable. If I were Mark McGuire, or any of the others that he ratted out, I would be extremely upset, to say the least.

The message to children (and the rest of the unknowing public) is, it’s okay to use steroids as long as you come clean later in life and then rat on your friends!

No, I can’t say that I have much respect for Canseco.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Taking steroids to break a (baseball) record, or play in a game where your predecessors did not have the use of such things, strikes me as dishonest (not to mention the illegality of such usage).

However, then writing a book and mentioning other players names to further profit is detestable. If I were Mark McGuire, or any of the others that he ratted out, I would be extremely upset, to say the least.

The message to children (and the rest of the unknowing public) is, it’s okay to use steroids as long as you come clean later in life and then rat on your friends!

No, I can’t say that I have much respect for Canseco.

So Zeb, are you saying if you tell a lie it’s better to go to the grave with that lie? I though the truth would set us free! Nope, I guess you’re a rat if you decide to tell the truth.
[/quote]

In response to Elkhntr1:

Now you know that’s not what I posted (shaking head and smiling) you nut :slight_smile:

If he wants to tell the truth, fine. However, there are two things wrong with the way he did it:

1. making money from his previous illegal and unethical behavior.

2. Dragging another players name onto the scene without that players permission. And perhaps harming that players reputation in the process, also for financial gain.

If all he wanted to do was “clear the air” he could have done so at a press conference and not mentioned any other player.

Doing this would have set him free…yep.

“Taking steroids to break a (baseball) record, or play in a game where your predecessors did not have the use of such things, strikes me as dishonest (not to mention the illegality of such usage).”

I’ve never bought the “steroids are cheating” argument. All the people who think baseball has always been a pure sport and steroids are ruining the integrity of the game are either unaware of the truth or don’t want to believe it. Players have been looking for an edge in baseball all the way back to the early 1900’s, from sharpening cleats to scare 2B /SS into breaking up double plays, to doctored balls, to sign stealing…it goes on and on. If people don’t agree with steroids in the game for various reasons, fine, but the “cheating” argument doesn’t work.

Baseball is NOT a pure game, and never was.

In fact I found a couple of links:

http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2004/12/07/baseballs_oldest_profession_revisited.php

http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/s/list/readers/baseball/cheaters.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/john_rolfe/12/08/getting.loose/index.html

CC, I don’t think ZEB’s arguement was that they were cheating at the game so much as, they were unfairly competing so far as records go.

Comparing pre-steroid hitters, and juiced up hitters, is like comparing apples and oranges. Mark McGuire should have recieved the record for most homeruns hit “with assistance” in a single season.

"CC, I don’t think ZEB’s arguement was that they were cheating at the game so much as, they were unfairly competing so far as records go.

Comparing pre-steroid hitters, and juiced up hitters, is like comparing apples and oranges. Mark McGuire should have recieved the record for most homeruns hit “with assistance” in a single season."

Actually Moon, I agree with both you and ZEB…to a point. I wasn’t necessarily calling out ZEB, saying he was wrong for saying that steroids are dishonest, because, well, they ARE dishonest :slight_smile: His comment just reminded me of what some of the purists of the game have said, as if steroids were the first incidence of dishonesty within the sport. So, I should apopligize to ZEB if he thought I was trying to make an example out of him.

Sorry, ZEB :slight_smile:

Also, on the same token as the McGuire comparison, you could make the same statement about pitching. World Series rings have been won on “junk” (and not the legal kind) pitching, records have been broken by “junk” pitching. A lot of people complain that pitching is more watered down than it used to be, and that might be somewhat true, but keep in mind that a lot of pitchers used to have a lot more leighway on strike zones and “assistance”. Questec and much more strict anti-ball-doctoring rules have changed all that.

So, I guess getting back to what I was originally saying, steroids are dishonest and unfair, yes. But steroids did not ruin the integrity of the game. The sport of baseball never had a whole lot of integrity to begin with.

I talked shit on Canseco because like Zeb said, he’s a rat. A rat that dimed other people out while “clearing his name” and making some fat money off it. I’m not really sure how you can see it any other way. I’m willing to listen to somebodies explanation?

Have you ever tried to listen to a Canseco interview? He’s the verbal skills of a person with Down’s Syndrome.

This guys going to ‘write’ a book? Gimmee a break.

On steroids - If the gear makes you hit home-runs, why hasn’t Ronnie Coleman cashed in on that idea yet?

“On steroids - If the gear makes you hit home-runs, why hasn’t Ronnie Coleman cashed in on that idea yet?”

You still have to have the hand-eye coordination to hit the ball in the first place. Hitting an 85+ mph ball is extremely hard. That’s just with it coming straight down the tube. If it’s breaking at all, the average man is pretty much just screwed. Think about it: what else in life can you think of that being successful 30% of the time makes you great?

When it comes to hitting home runs, even a little bit of extra strength, giving that ball a little bit more “oomp” can make or break you. Just 10, sometimes even 5 extra feet could make all the difference in a guy’s home run numbers for the season. That’s all juice does. It gives you that extra little pop to get the ball a little farther. How many times have you seen a guy fly out at the wall? More times than I can remember in my life, that’s for sure…

"Have you ever tried to listen to a Canseco interview? He’s the verbal skills of a person with Down’s Syndrome.

This guys going to ‘write’ a book? Gimmee a break."

Forgot to address this part of your post. It is REALLY bad in some cases, LOL. There’s certain parts in the book where you just go “Was this really written by a 40-year-old man?” Hehe…