T Nation

Cannot keep back upright during squat

Although I’m still not squatting due to a pulled muscle, i was squatting in front of a mirror and i noticed that my body naturally leans forward a little bit. Although this is fine for a back squat, in a front squat i would not be able to keep my back completely upright as you’re supposed to. I tried to squat down while keeping an upright back and i couldn’t do it. So is this a mobility problem? I assume it is but i’m not 100% sure. I also didn’t notice this when i was front squatting with weight but that may be because I never checked in a mirror, or maybe the weight makes a difference? I ran this on the search function and got mostly forward lean out of the hole. Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Also my back is not rounding, just leaning forward but it seems the forward lean is a bit more than it’s supposed to be if it was a front squat

Its a few things.

Limb length and levers creating certain angles.

and

Hip flexor, hamstring, glutes, calf and all the small muscles in the posterior chain being tight. Foam rolling will help. But nothing will help if you arent built to squat. Improvements can be made in most cases but you probably wont go from the current form to looking like an elite olympic lifter squatting 600lbs with a compltely vertical back.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Its a few things.

Limb length and levers creating certain angles.

and

Hip flexor, hamstring, glutes, calf and all the small muscles in the posterior chain being tight. Foam rolling will help. But nothing will help if you arent built to squat. Improvements can be made in most cases but you probably wont go from the current form to looking like an elite olympic lifter squatting 600lbs with a compltely vertical back.

[/quote]

Thanks. I have been working on stretching and foam rolling once a day and i think im going to bump it to twice a day. Also my back sqaut form is good i was just concerned about the front squat. Also Bonez i appreciate the help, you’ve given me a lot of it.

[quote]parsley wrote:
I also didn’t notice this when i was front squatting with weight but that may be because I never checked in a mirror, or maybe the weight makes a difference? [/quote]

Your mass (plus the bar) will naturally tend to centralize over the middle of your foot. When you add a couple hundred pounds to the front of your body, it will allow you to stay more upright. When you add the same weight to your back, you’ll lean over more.

When you squat in front of the mirror, hold your hands out in front of you (like a zombie), then put them behind your head and squat again.

Also, the more you push your hips back, the more you’ll lean forward. Letting your knees drift forward lets you stay more upright, but takes glutes and hams out of the movement a bit (and reduces the amount weight you can use).

Also, don’t be afraid to use a wider stance, especially if you are 6’+.

Also what JayPierce said about letting the knees drift forward…there’s nothing wrong with that, despite what a bunch of dumbass internet gurus seem to believe.

For me, consistent hip flexor mobility work has helped improve my stance in the back squat. I also started squatting with my feet flat on 10lb. plates. I let my toes hang an inch or so over the tops of the plates, so that I am forced to press through my heels. Both have made it easier for me to stay upright.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Also what JayPierce said about letting the knees drift forward…there’s nothing wrong with that, despite what a bunch of dumbass internet gurus seem to believe. [/quote]
Agreed, ankle mobility also helps in this regard.

How bad is the foward lean during a bodyweight squat? I ask because my friend, who is new to training, asked me to critique his squat form, and he has this problem. During a bodyweight squat, his body shakes from the strain of trying to keep from falling foward. His weight transfers obviously to his toes. Is your problem this severe?

and x2 what bonez said.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Also what JayPierce said about letting the knees drift forward…there’s nothing wrong with that, despite what a bunch of dumbass internet gurus seem to believe. [/quote]

I’m not really anywhere near 6’ being 5’6" and wen i squat it seems i naturally sit back even when trying to let my knees go forward which is why i think this i mainly a mobility issue. Also to Eric 2.0 the forward lean isn’t terrible but it is more than it is supposed to be. Thanks for the advice guys