Cannot Eat at Work

I’ve read many, many of the threads on here, and they are all great. My divorce is finalized, I got my personal stuff straightened out, and the semester is out for summer. So I started my workout today.

I’m 24, about 6’0", and about 220. My body fat is high…probably 30% or something. Outta shape. I know I would like to just start lifting and build the muscle to raise my metabolism, plus get some newb fat loss. I can worry about the fat later on.

I’m staying on campus all summer, so I can use the gym, BUT I found out today there is a gym membership fee I have to pay. I will be two weeks or so before I can come up with it because I have a lot of bigger bills coming up soon.

What I’m doing til then is riding my bike. It’s a 21 speed. There is a park with a bike route nearby, so its safe. I basically get on it and start going through all the gears. Once I hit top speed, I pedel as hard as I can. At that point, it feels more like strength training than anything. Once I am pooped, I let the bike coast for 75-100 feet and start over. I can only do about 3-4 miles right now.

I ran out of protein powder today, so that will be out of the question for a little bit. I did buy some Tribulus last week when I had some extra cash, so I got that still. I’m getting to the title problem soon, I promise.

This morning I woke up, ate an orange and a turkey ham sandwich with Baker’s Inn 9-Grain wheat bread. I eat very clean. I went for my bike ride, then came back and ate. I took ~10 grams of protein powder(what was left), drank plenty of water, ate an egg meal I prepared. It contained:
5 eggs
~1/8 pound turkey pastrami(cracked pepper)
7.25 oz of diced tomatoes
some tabasco sauce for flavor

It’s 3:20pm right now. I just finished eating. I gotta shower and then go to work at 5pm. I will be there until midnight tonight. The problem is that I cannot eat at work. I am a server at a dang steak house AND CANNOT EAT!!!

They will let me eat white rolls for free…thats it. So what do I do? Just suffer through it? Shoud I eat another sammich on the way to work? I know I definitely need to eat some protein before bed.

I’m probably worrying about it too much, but I don’t wanna mess myself up because of not eating enough while doing cardio workouts.

Also, should I be taking one or two tribulus tabs a day? I wanting Biotest, but could not afford it yet. I got the TwinLab brand…sorry. Please let me know! Thanks!

I used to work in the restaurant business also, they wouldn’t let us eat for free either. When you say you can’t eat at work, do you mean you can’t eat or you can’t eat their food?

It might seem stupid to brown bag it to a restaurant but I’d do it.

[quote]nvrsatysfyd wrote:
I used to work in the restaurant business also, they wouldn’t let us eat for free either. When you say you can’t eat at work, do you mean you can’t eat or you can’t eat their food?

It might seem stupid to brown bag it to a restaurant but I’d do it.[/quote]

I honestly don’t know if they would care if I brown bagged it. The only thing is that it gets so busy that I wouldn’t have time to eat it anyways.

Maybe I can eat on the way to work, then eat when we the customers leave. It will be around 10pm. I have to stay til midnight to do my closing duties.

Then I would eat right before work and as soon as the rush is over. Oh and stay away from the white rolls you might as well eat sugar with a spoon.

Eating small frequent meals aprox. every 3 hours has probably helped me the most out of all the changes I’ve made.

Before work, eat some cottage cheese (or just a casien protein powder).

Its a slow burning protein, so it will give you a slow burning amino acid supply throughout the day.

When neccasary, steal or eat when you’re not supposed to. Don’t be a pussy.

You’ll be able to figure something out if you really want to be able to eat while at work. Maybe take a bag of almonds or pistachios, or maybe walnuts with you. There is always something you can get by with.

Eat the person who said you can’t.

Two birds with one stone.

I would find a new job for sure if you want to change your physique. I applied to be a server at a restaurant as well once, and I quit on my first day. I’ve spent way too much money and time on bodybuilding to let it all go down the tube because of a job.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Eat the person who said you can’t.

Two birds with one stone.
[/quote]

LOL!

I know you said protein powder’s out of the question, but it sounds like it simply has to be done. Buy some protein bars (Metabolic Drive bars are sold on this site) and pocket those for discreet eating. As in, take a “bathroom break” and wolf down a bar. Problem solved.

Regarding the tribulus, if you want it to work, you have to be getting enough fat and cholesterol in your diet. This isn’t like steroids, where the testosterone is already created – your body still has to create the T with tribulus. If you aren’t eating a lot of (healthful, in your case) fats then it’s useless. Godspeed, Weakling.

I’m also a server at a busy restaurant and thought I couldn’t pull it off at first. Now I bring an insulated lunch bag with ice pack and keep it in the coat room.

Whenever I get time I run back and eat some. It might take me 45 minutes to get through one meal, but it’s better than nothing.

You could even keep a protein bar in your apron if need be. Try to time your meals so they come at more convenient times. One before the dinner rush and one when it slows a little, etc. Good luck!

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
Regarding the tribulus, if you want it to work, you have to be getting enough fat and cholesterol in your diet. This isn’t like steroids, where the testosterone is already created – your body still has to create the T with tribulus. If you aren’t eating a lot of (healthful, in your case) fats then it’s useless. Godspeed, Weakling.[/quote]

All good posts so far…thanks a lot! What kind of fats are healthful? Honestly, most of the fat from my diet comes from the meats I eat.

Also, when you’re strapped for cash, don’t blow it on supplements.
Spend it on food and on the membership fee.
Only surplus money should be spend on sups.

[quote]jdr23 wrote:
I’m also a server at a busy restaurant and thought I couldn’t pull it off at first. Now I bring an insulated lunch bag with ice pack and keep it in the coat room.

Whenever I get time I run back and eat some. It might take me 45 minutes to get through one meal, but it’s better than nothing.

You could even keep a protein bar in your apron if need be. Try to time your meals so they come at more convenient times. One before the dinner rush and one when it slows a little, etc. Good luck![/quote]

Very good post. Listen to JD. Keep salads in tupperware, so you can scoff em down, when you go to the toilet. Every one needs the toilet, they can’t deny you that.

And protein shakes are very essential when you work in kitchens too. I fucking hate working in kitchens. It’s never level, either its too busy, or not busy enough and they send you home. I would honestly suggest getting a job elsewhere if you can. I did.

I know you said protein powder’s out of the question, but it sounds like it simply has to be done. Buy some protein bars (Metabolic Drive bars are sold on this site) and pocket those for discreet eating. As in, take a “bathroom break” and wolf down a bar. Problem solved.

Regarding the tribulus, if you want it to work, you have to be getting enough fat and cholesterol in your diet. This isn’t like steroids, where the testosterone is already created – your body still has to create the T with tribulus. If you aren’t eating a lot of (healthful, in your case) fats then it’s useless. Godspeed, Weakling.[/quote]

Gotta agree with this guy. Buy some Metabolic Drive bars, and or RTF shakes. Take a bathroom break and eat them in there. I know it sounds bad to take your food in the restroom – but just don’t touch anything until you’re done eating :smiley:

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
And protein shakes are very essential when you work in kitchens too. I fucking hate working in kitchens. It’s never level, either its too busy, or not busy enough and they send you home. I would honestly suggest getting a job elsewhere if you can. I did.[/quote]

I actually got an internship with Walgreen’s training as a manager starting this summer. So, I will probably have a lot more leniency. But for now I still have to worry about the job I have.

Anyone know what kind of healthful fats Mr. Clean & Jerk was talking about?

[quote]Weakling 8 wrote:
Anyone know what kind of healthful fats Mr. Clean & Jerk was talking about?[/quote]

Haha, sorry man, I totally forgot that I wrote that. My fingers scream pretty loud and sometimes my ears just stop listening.

MTTP, fish oil is the most healthful fat. Olive oil is a thing of beauty, as well. Flax and almonds are very “functional” fats. There’s an article on fat called “The Fat Roundtable” which is a must. From the amount of fat you’ve reported (~66 lbs.) it sounds like you need an all-around dietary overhaul. Read up on John Berardi and Lonnie Lowery. Do what the good doctors say. Correct eating is just as important as correct lifting.

Your attitude seems pretty solid. Just stay upbeat and of course, don’t give up when in a rut. Commiseration and the putting together of many heads to solve a problem is one of the foremost blessings of these forums (along with skinny shoe pictures and near nude pictures.) Enjoy!

Your attitude seems pretty solid. [/quote]

This is the most important thing. It seems like you’ve identified the problem and are willing to take the steps to overcome it.

Best advice I can give, is get some bulk whey powder. Cheap and easy. Fill a couple shaker bottles with 30-50 grams of protein, maybe add some olive oil, and bring them with you. Fill and chug on a bathroom break. It won’t be ideal, but it’ll be enough to hold you over and keep you from going catabolic.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:

Your attitude seems pretty solid.

This is the most important thing. It seems like you’ve identified the problem and are willing to take the steps to overcome it.

Best advice I can give, is get some bulk whey powder. Cheap and easy. Fill a couple shaker bottles with 30-50 grams of protein, maybe add some olive oil, and bring them with you. Fill and chug on a bathroom break. It won’t be ideal, but it’ll be enough to hold you over and keep you from going catabolic.[/quote]

If you do the protein powder/olive oil mix (very economically efficient,) make sure you splash some water in the shaker cup, shake it and drink what’s in it several times after finishing the shake. Olive oil and water have different densities and the two do not mix well.

I was a cook in a busy restaurant. Ironically, I couldn’t eat. We were just too busy. So I’d keep a protein bar in my jacket pocket in the back, and sneak bites here and there. Or I’d keep a tupperware container of cottage cheese with some frozen berries on the storage shelf. Or in the walk-in fridge.

But usually I’d just pu t it on the shelf and sneak a few gulps when I had a minute to spare.