Cannon Ball-Like Delts, The Next Step

when glancing around my gym in between sets and stupid jokes, i see some men training their delts.  Their delt work is as minimal as some half ass military press, a standing lateral raise in which their arms dont come within several inches of their chin level, and then some wack ass dumbbell shrugs where they are rolling their shoulders.  

We all know that having big, round, muscular shoulders can make your physique appear larger from every angle.  Since the deltoid muscle is composed of 3 heads, a well-balanced shoulder program should target 3 heads, with more emphasis on lagging areas, which for most is the rear head.

It seems the rear head is forgotten about by most, or simply touched upon, maybe doing some bent over lateral dumbbell raises in which they arent bent far enough and their palm position is too level, turning their rear movement into a lateral head movement.  But the truth of the matter is the Rear head is a Key component to ANY rear pose.  

Go to google, look at some back double bis, some rear lat spreads, hell even a side chest shot. If a competitor is lacking rear delts, the entirety of their delt looks weak. All too often i see Front delts that just completely over power the rear delts, giving the illusion that the rear delts are that much smaller.

And one must never forget the importance of illusions in this sport, they can make or break a competitor. Proportions serve to enhance illusions, giving one an edge: IE A small waist gives the appearance of wider shoulders and thicker legs, etc.

So first we look at your delts.  Is your front head overpowering? Do you do a whole lot of front work?  When i first started analyzing my photos, my front head was freakishly disproportional.  So, to compensate, i had to make some changes in my program. I basically removed front isolation work.  Its possible every couple weeks ill throw in a movement to keep them sharp, but aside from my 1 compound movement on shoulders day, i aim to not hit my front head.

My delt program looks like this:

Compound movement- Military/DB press
Lateral head
Lateral head
Rear Head
Rear head

Because of putting more focus on my lateral and rear heads, my delts have ballooned- I now have wider shoulders, my rear head damn near matches my front head, and my overall proportions look all the better.  I urge those of you who are putting focus on your front heads to look at your physique, get someone to take a picture of a rear double bi and look at it.  Is it Proportional?

Also, i touched on this earlier, but just incase- To those of you grinding your shoulders and rolling them while doing shrugs, you are hitting your Glenohumeral joint a lot more than what youre doing to your traps, and "Hitting" a joint is never a good thing.

Another good post. I like these.

My front head (teehee) is overpowering compared to the other 2. I have to do OHP for my events, so all my accessory work is the lateral head or rear head.

Face pulls and some lat raises are what I do, but I haven’t seen much in the way of gains to the lateral head. My rear head has grown once I realized I could actually make the face pull heavier and still focus it where I needed it- that has made a big difference!

What are your main movements for teh rear and lateral head?

As a side note: there are these 2 guys in the gym, more “athletic” looking than anything else, who literally do about 15 different shoulder exercises ranging from lat raises to a weird ‘lying, sideways, 1 arm pushup’ thing. Their delts are ok but nothing spectacular. I think you need to be able to hit the money exercises and drop the fluff in that situation.

Behind the back cable raises FTW. (Credit goes to Bonez tho)

I just couldn’t stop myself from cheating with the DB’s and these have really been a god send. Great MMC and overall feel. Slow to progress though with the way the weight plates work on the stack I use.

I’ve been hammering my rear delts for awhile now, and don’t plan on looking back. Whether it be rear DB flies or rear cable flies, making them stronger and bigger was the best “off the cuff” choice I’ve ever made. Pretty much ended my constant shoulder discomfort.

EDIT: I will also mention my shoulders are some bitches. They are fucking impossible. I’m not gifted in that department by any means.

Props to Akuma yet again, your body part specific posts always seem to line up with the body part I’m about to work that day or the next. Very informative and not coming off in a “I’m better and bigger than you” sort of way.

I started incorporating bent over raises from a low pulley as my second rear delt exercise, and man do they work. Even with low weight (like almost none of the weight stack) they work like a charm.

i try and alternate exercises every couple workouts. But a couple of my Lateral head movements are A incline bench seated raise- This is a move i stole from Kai greene. You sit sideways in an incline bench, so that one shoulder is against the back of it.

Then you do lateral raises with the other other, making sure that your pinky is slightly elevated higher than your thumb. If you keep your arm locked, and pause at the bottom while ensuring you take the negative portion of the rep a bit slower (Thank you Dorian), This makes for a WICKED lateral head exercise that will literally break your ego. I have very strong shoulders, and i start this movement with 25lb DBs, bumping weight by 5lbs each set.

Another lateral movement that id do is plain ole Cable laterals. Sometimes ill do these while angled, my feet are against the machine, and i hang at an angle, this gives a fantastic ROM movement, where i lower the cable behind my back.

Some Rear head movements- Bent over DB raises- bend down, keep your palms facing you the entire time (so basically thumbs are touching) and lateral raise. Just recently have i started doing the Palms facing you, before i used to do it with palms facing towards each other, but i find this works my rear head better.

Another movement i use would Cable X’s. Set some cables high, grab opposite sides (right hand grabbing the left cable, and vice versa) then with palms facing the ground, then extend. The Cables Make an X, hence the name.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[/quote]

What are these? With handles or a bar?

Never seen 'em.

For rear head I like the reverse pec deck, pronated grip.

I like your threads Akuma, I’ve gotten some good info from them. I was just wondering if you had a video of a good bent over lateral raise. You mentioned palm position being too level, and I’d like to see exactly what you mean. Does the pinky side need to be more turned up like when you are hitting the lateral head? My rear delts seem to get hit well with behind the neck press, I’m just worried about doing them too much since supposedly they are shoulder wreckers, so I’ll be interested in seeing how others here like to work them.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
i try and alternate exercises every couple workouts. But a couple of my Lateral head movements are A incline bench seated raise- This is a move i stole from Kai greene. You sit sideways in an incline bench, so that one shoulder is against the back of it.

Then you do lateral raises with the other other, making sure that your pinky is slightly elevated higher than your thumb. If you keep your arm locked, and pause at the bottom while ensuring you take the negative portion of the rep a bit slower (Thank you Dorian), This makes for a WICKED lateral head exercise that will literally break your ego. I have very strong shoulders, and i start this movement with 25lb DBs, bumping weight by 5lbs each set.
[/quote]

Ego check indeed, I tinkered with the movement the first time I tried these until I got it feeling right. Definitely a routine staple now.

I dont have a video of that, but im more than happy to try and explain it a bit more. Just do this for me. Stand up, and bend over so that your upper body is now perpendicular to your lower body. Let your hands fall in front of you. Straighten your arms and make a fist. Let your hands touch.

The only two fingers that should be touching are your thumbs and index fingers. See how your palms are facing in and your knuckles are facing out? Thats how i keep my hands through the entire movement. Just pretend you are holding a rope in front of you, and you are trying to pull it apart.

You start with your knuckles facing towards the ground, and your arms perpendicular to the floor, you end with your arms parallel to the floor.

I dunno, i think im making this sound more complicated than it really is trying to explain it haha

like this?

[quote]AttackOfTheChris wrote:
I like your threads Akuma, I’ve gotten some good info from them. [/quote]

Agreed.

The exercises I do for delts are: Seated DB Shoulder Press, Smith Behind the Neck Press, Face Pulls, Machine Reverse Flyes, DB Lateral Raises, Cable Lateral Raises, DB Front Raises, and the Lateral Raise Machine.

I don’t do all of those in one workout, but those are the ones I pick from. Seated DB Press and BTN Press are in every shoulder day, as are the rear delt exercises. Then I just pick one or two of the lateral delt exercises.

BTN Press works really well as far as my side delts go. I can use more weight that any lateral raise, and I can feel them work more. I just go to the bottom of my ear, but I think you can go higher, maybe till your elbows are at 90 degrees or so if that feels better.

[quote]AttackOfTheChris wrote:
like this?[/quote]

yes just like that. So bend over, hands looking like that, and just laterally raise your arms, keeping your hands like that. You will feel the entire movement in your rear head. Whereas when you do it with your palms facing in, your lateral head jumps into the equation.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Never seen 'em.[/quote]

Handles.

If you keep the cable behind your ass you can’t cheat, Even if you bend at the hip, your arm doesn’t go up any further.

So fucking badass.

I would buy Bonez a case of T-Bones just for that tip alone.

So just stand there (or grab the pole and lean away) and raise your arm up. Pretty simple, and I caught a great MMC after like 2 or 3 tries.

Anyone care to lend a thought about doing standing side laterals with a barbell instead of a dumbbell? I find it adds just enough instability with the movement to shake things up from the norm. If anything, it’s a new challenge to keep the bar under control through the whole movement

Instability is now a good thing?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Never seen 'em.[/quote]

Handles.

If you keep the cable behind your ass you can’t cheat, Even if you bend at the hip, your arm doesn’t go up any further.

So fucking badass.

So just stand there (or grab the pole and lean away) and raise your arm up. Pretty simple, and I caught a great MMC after like 2 or 3 tries. [/quote]

I’m being particularly dense today, lol.

Facing the machine or away from it?

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:
Anyone care to lend a thought about doing standing side laterals with a barbell instead of a dumbbell? I find it adds just enough instability with the movement to shake things up from the norm. If anything, it’s a new challenge to keep the bar under control through the whole movement[/quote]

Can’t wait to ruin my shoulders with that one…

If you keep the cable behind your ass you can’t cheat, [/quote]

To clarify, with the cable behind my back I am forced to use my lateral heads more than anything. Anterior can’t take over. And I don’t get the best MMC with DB’s and my traps take over a lot.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[/quote]

Never seen 'em.[/quote]

Handles.

So fucking badass.

So just stand there (or grab the pole and lean away) and raise your arm up. Pretty simple, and I caught a great MMC after like 2 or 3 tries. [/quote]

I’m being particularly dense today, lol.

Facing the machine or away from it?
[/quote]

Perpendicular to it is the best way to explain. The pole the cable is attached to would be touching the arm opposite teh one you are raising with.