Canned Tuna

hey,

just got some canned tuna, and was wondering whether there’s any point to drinking that water or juice that’s in the can as well? hehe…

just curious.

I don’t think it makes that much of difference. I’d worry more about where it came from and how much mercury and other toxic substances in the tuna.

Are you saying we shouldn’t eat a can a day? I have wondered if the mercury level is a concern.

Thank You in Advance.

Only one-a-day? Fucking hope not, I get through at least 2, normally three cans a day.

I have been relucant to use protein supplements, due to parental pressure, but if i don’t reach my target weight by the end of October, i’m getting them regardless.

BTW - what is the max amount of lean mass one can put on, in say one month?

Thanks.

[quote]kung_fu_king wrote:

I have been relucant to use protein supplements, due to parental pressure, but if i don’t reach my target weight by the end of October, i’m getting them regardless.
[/quote]

why are you robbing yourself of good gains because you aint using protein supplements???

jaystyles

[quote]kung_fu_king wrote:
Only one-a-day? Fucking hope not, I get through at least 2, normally three cans a day.

BTW - what is the max amount of lean mass one can put on, in say one month?

Thanks.[/quote]

Yeah, Well just cause you do it, doesn’t me it is safe. Can someone who has looking into this please respond. I always stick to high grade albacore, solid white tuna in a can and rinse it well.

Thank You.

If you are going to be eating a lot of tuna, go for the chunk light variety as opposed to albacore. The Albacore is supposed to have as much as four times the mercury as chunk light. Plus it’s much cheaper.
Some other alternatives are the foil packages of salmon, and my favorite sardines and fishsteaks (herring). These have lower levels of toxins and better oils than tuna.

Just found this link about mecury levels and safe consumption. I am surprised they recommend only 1 can per week!

Let me know what you think.

I would watch how much tuna you eat. The FDA permits relatively high amounts of mercury in the tuna under the assumption that it is only eaten once a week. So for bodybuilders or people who eat several cans a day can very likely ingest high amounts of mercury. I had been eating 4 cans a day for about 6 months, I began getting headaches and my vision was getting narrow (loss of peripheral). I stopped eating tuna for about a month now and the headaches went away and my vision is fine now. I’m not going to say it was definitely the tuna, but I know I don’t trust a billion dollar a year industry to put out warnings on consumption. Be careful, good luck.

Generally, the bigger the fish, the more mercury it has per amount of body mass. Tuna are huge fishes and it takes time to grow that big so they’ve been accumulating mercury in their body for a while. Stick to smaller fishes like salmons (like red salmon form alaskan water), sardines and herrings. It’d be hard to find 100% free contaminated fishes though. I think FDA recommended that pregnant not take tuna at all!

http://www.davesalbacore.com/healthandnutrition.aspx

DI

[quote]ArnldNaledUrMom wrote:
I had been eating 4 cans a day for about 6 months, I began getting headaches and my vision was getting narrow (loss of peripheral). I stopped eating tuna for about a month now and the headaches went away and my vision is fine now. [/quote]
That’s interesting… I too had headaches for a while I attributed to my tuna intake… jokingly called them my “tuna headaches”… everyone thought I was nuts, but after a while I really started to believe it was the tuna… the headaches always came right after I ate a can… I think I was eating about a can or two a day for months… I’ve since cut way back to about 2-4 cans a week now… no more headaches… Headaches are a possible side effect of toxic levels, as is hair loss…
From what I’ve heard the Mercury concentrates in fish, that is, the bottom bacteria pick it from the floor, they get eaten by bigger fish etc., so by the time an Albacore gets eaten, its had time to bio-concentrate Mercury from several organisms… washing the meat will do little… the mercury attaches to the proteins…

I agree with those who don’t eat tuna because of the mercury content. It would behoove tuna eaters to read the research articles about mercury content in fish.

I used to eat raw and canned tuna daily at almost every meal, and had funny symptoms as well…headaches, etc. that began to affect my daily life. My realtor showed me articles about mercury in fish, and so I stopped eating it and after a year, the symptoms finally went away. Mercury exposure is cumulative and then it takes a while for your body to excrete it, through your urine and feces. I read one study that said the FDA’s “acceptable” amount of mercury exposure in humans is one can a week, and BB’s typically snack on it much more often than that (I used to keep a stack of cans in my locker at work and open one whenever hungry for a quick snack). As a substitute, I have eaten that canned white meat chicken, but it tastes weird, like baby food-ish.

I found this post from TopCivilian a few pages back… http://www.gotmercury.org Its from an environmental group, so I’m sure it’s skewed a bit on the high side, but either way, it’s great to quantify what all our “progress” has done to food… 2 measasly cans registers me at 80% of the FDA suggested weekly max…

Thanks Guys. Certainly something to think about…

Thanks for the info… I haven’t eaten tuna for a while because I used to eat it all the time. I got to the point where just about smelling tuna turned my stomach. I was going to start eating it again, but now I’m unsure. I think I’ll stick to my grilled chicken breast…

I found a company that markets young tuna as having a lot less mercury. Check them at http://www.islandtrollers.com