T Nation

Canned Salmon

Got some last night and it was pretty damn good. Alaskan wild salmon. I've read it has considerably less pcbs, etc. than farm salmon or even tuna. Anyone else here eating this stuff? Any good recipes?

http://www.davesalbacore.com/

From his website... TC wrote about this site a few years ago (IIRC)

14-3/4 oz. can of Dave's Salmon or Albacore
1/2 C. chopped onion
1/2 C. finely chopped green pepper
1/2 C. Whole wheat bread crumbs
1 egg
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp. rosemary, crushed
1/8 tsp. pepper
Vegetable oil

Drain and flake salmon or albacore, reserving 2 Tbsp. of liquid. Combine salmon or albacore, onion, green pepper, bread crumbs, egg, reserved liquid, lemon juice, lemon peel, and seasonings, mix well. Form into four or five patties. Pan fry in lightly oiled skillet for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned; turn halfway through cooking time.

Makes 4 or 5 servings.

*Choice of toppings-Sliced tomatoes, pickles, onions, cheese, mustard, catsup, mayonnaise, dressing, etc.

Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories: 262
Protein: 19.3 g
Carbohydrates: 4.8 g
Total fat: 18.3 g
Cholesterol: 79 mg
Sodium: 493 mg
Fiber: 0.6 g

Yeah, that's what I eat. The cans where its like a salmon steak sitting in there, and you can eat the backbones and ribs because the canning process turned them into chalk.

Can't get much better or faster than just straight out of the can. If you're going to cook it or use it in a recipe, I suggest getting fresh salmon.

YUM!

Mash a can of salmon, some cottage cheese, and some plain yogurt. Add salt, pepper, cayenne, dill and chopped feta.

If you want more calories, guacamole (or just mashed avocado) and/or a good quality olive oil.

Then grind up some flax and toss that in. Hemp seed and walnut pieces are also a great addition.

Eat it out of the bowl, or with whole wheat pasta, or toast some wholegrain bread (ezekial or something hardcore like that), put olive oil on it and then add the salmon mixture as a topping. It would also be good as a pita or sandwich filling.

It's an orgasm in your mouth... actually, that's kinda nasty... it's an orgasm FOR your mouth.

I love canned salmon. And I found canned mackerel is really cheap too.

I'll saute a can in butter and toss in some olive oil. Them boys is tasty.

I wonder what the actual DHE /EPA content is in canned Salmon/ Mackerel.

I'd be interested in learning that too. I am still popping my fish oil pills even with this meal.

I get a 14 oz can for like $1.20...can't beat it...

It has been a staple of mine for a while.

funny you should mention that, bro...because you CAN beat that! check out what 78 cents got me at the local Walmart Food Center: 15 ounces of canned mackerel.

we're talking nothing but protein and healthy fats, for significantly less than a buck a pound. insane.