T Nation

Canned Salmon Recipes??

I buy protein sources in bulk and currently have like 10 cans of salmon.

I’ve been making patties by mixing a 6oz can with an egg and seasoning it with a prepackaged seafood seasoning then shaping it like a hamburger patty and pan frying it.

I eat it on a wheat bun with tartar sauce and cheese but i’m getting kind of tired of that.

If you eat canned salmon, how do you prepare it?

I havent had much experience with salmon, I use tuna a bit more, however, My dad downs the stuff all the time…at least like 3++ dinners a week.

He makes something that is like chicken/or tuna salad.
He mixes it with FF mayo and onions… Quite a bit of onions actually. I think also a little black pepper and parsley can be added too.

However, if you prefer it cooked like a burger this wouldnt really be up your alley in terms of consistency- also…its cold

[quote]Millerizer130 wrote:
I havent had much experience with salmon, I use tuna a bit more, however, My dad downs the stuff all the time…at least like 3++ dinners a week.

He makes something that is like chicken/or tuna salad.
He mixes it with FF mayo and onions… Quite a bit of onions actually. I think also a little black pepper and parsley can be added too.

However, if you prefer it cooked like a burger this wouldnt really be up your alley in terms of consistency- also…its cold[/quote]

I don’t mind eating it other ways. I’m really just looking for other ideas. I’ll have to try it with onions, I havn’t yet.

I’ll sometimes use it to make a heavy “salad”: usually a can of salmon, a bit of olive oil, some nuts (I recommend pecans for this), and some soy sauce all mixed together and then put in a bowl with some fresh spinach. It’s basically the reverse of a typical salad in that its a good-sized hunk of protein and fat on top of maybe a serving or two of greens. Sometimes I’ll use dijon mustard instead of soy sauce for more of a tuna salad taste.

To add carbs, I’ll sometimes stuff the above into a whole wheat pita or lump it on top of some Wasa cracker/flatbread things.

hey texas guy i know i told you about how my dad makes the salmon salad with fat free mayo and onions, but i thought of some other alternatives.

Try mixing the salmon with a couple tablespoons of salsa. Possibly even add some green beans in there for this recipe.

another option could be mustard or dill…it all depends on personal preference. I like the taste of salsa so i use it on a lot of things, chicken, tuna, turkey…eggs…etc…

dont know much about salmon but hopefully i helped a little

I appreciate the responses. Dill sounds good, the salad mentioned sounds super. I havn’t thought of soy sauce or pita bread. I’ll have to pick some pita up next time i’m at the store.

I think i’ll expiriment with some pita, ziti sauce, olives and corn mixed in with the salmon too

Thanks for the suggestions again. They sound great and help me come up with other ideas.