T Nation

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis (Help!)

This used to be called “Steroids & Other Drugs” which is why I post this here…

So my question is this… Can some of the more sciency guys chime in on exactly why this new “cannabinoid hyperemesis” study is bullshit? I’m sure it is, but I can’t prove it because I don’t have access to the journals. I’ve heard that this only occurs in people with terminal illness. I’ve also heard that this occurs in non cannabis users etc…

One thing I’m almost certain of is that this is nothing but political propaganda aimed at anti-prohibitionists. It just seems too convenient that cannabis suddenly causes testicular cancer and some sort of weird tremor/vomiting disease the month California is set to vote on full recreational legalization and Obama is facing pressure to stop sending money to Mexican cannabis producer/gangsters that threaten to make Mexico a failed state.

So, if I’m wrong I’ll listen, but I’m smelling a turd and I’m wondering if anyone can find it.

Testosterone causes testicular cancer, perhaps we all should lob the boys off.

Weed will not be legalized, there are too many conservatives.

And even if their were enough people against it, they are too stoned/stupid/lazy to vote.

Think about the gay marriage thing in Cali.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Testosterone causes testicular cancer, perhaps we all should lob the boys off.

Weed will not be legalized, there are too many conservatives.

And even if their were enough people against it, they are too stoned/stupid/lazy to vote.

Think about the gay marriage thing in Cali.
[/quote]

I agree. I just want to know why this study is bullshit.

Also, cannabis laws may have to be relaxed for other more logistical reasons that have nothing to do with California.

I don’t see this as any sort of broader political campaign, though the fact that Fox news was the only one to pick up the article over here is probably not a coincidence.

The actual study that is referenced ( http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/15/1264.pdf ) is based on a SINGLE individual, so this is far from award-winning science. One individual in the US, and some Aussies a few years ago… geez, I had a dorm buddy many years ago that projectile vomited after smoking my home grown. I should write something up…

How about a link to this California vote on “full recreational legalization”? I sure haven’t heard a peep about that one…

The study is dated to '04, so you are correct that the fact that it’s showing up now is a bit suspect.

But I don’t find it at all hard to believe that chronic marijuana use can cause health problems. Do you? This dude smoked heavily and daily for six years.

But that’s not really the point, is it? If the prohibition of drugs had anything to do with public health, alcohol and tobacco would be prohibited as well.

[quote]whotookmyname wrote:
I don’t see this as any sort of broader political campaign, though the fact that Fox news was the only one to pick up the article over here is probably not a coincidence.

The actual study that is referenced ( http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/15/1264.pdf ) is based on a SINGLE individual, so this is far from award-winning science. One individual in the US, and some Aussies a few years ago… geez, I had a dorm buddy many years ago that projectile vomited after smoking my home grown. I should write something up…

How about a link to this California vote on “full recreational legalization”? I sure haven’t heard a peep about that one…[/quote]

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0351-0400/ab_390_bill_20090223_introduced.html

Assembly Bill 390. It’s just one or two paragraphs down.

It’s Assembly Bill 390. Here is a link http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0351-0400/ab_390_bill_20090223_introduced.html

you beat me.

[quote]MAK40 wrote:
you beat me.[/quote]

lol. The other poster was right, there is almost nothing about this in the news or even in google. Fuck.

yea, it’s too bad. Although there is almost no way this will pass, the fact that it’s even being voted on is pretty cool.

Here is an easier read about AB390: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana_Control,_Regulation,_and_Education_Act

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
whotookmyname wrote:
I don’t see this as any sort of broader political campaign, though the fact that Fox news was the only one to pick up the article over here is probably not a coincidence.

The actual study that is referenced ( http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/15/1264.pdf ) is based on a SINGLE individual, so this is far from award-winning science. One individual in the US, and some Aussies a few years ago… geez, I had a dorm buddy many years ago that projectile vomited after smoking my home grown. I should write something up…

How about a link to this California vote on “full recreational legalization”? I sure haven’t heard a peep about that one…

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0351-0400/ab_390_bill_20090223_introduced.html

Assembly Bill 390. It’s just one or two paragraphs down.[/quote]

Cool, thanks. Irrelevant to your main point, but I helped write / draft some sport-related legislation in California a few years back so I have a bit of experience in that area. This bill is just a very early stage proposal. It looks like it was referred to the committees on Public Safety and Health. There are many, many places where this can be squashed.

Tom - the most recent study (Sontineni et al) that was referenced just came out this month.

[quote]whotookmyname wrote:

Tom - the most recent study (Sontineni et al) that was referenced just came out this month.[/quote]

That’s what I get for skimming the news articles. Thanks for calling me out.