T Nation

Canker Sores

Once I got some advice on here to solve cold sores with lysine and it works like a charm!

Anyone know how to solve canker sores?

I get a prescription for this paste stuff from my dentist. I think its called taro or something. Works awesome- they’re usually gone in 2-3 days if you wear it each night.

Also, sea saltwater helps heal them, and everything else it seems, too ahah. If you live by the ocean, just go down there and fill up a few bottles and keep them around and just rinse your mouth out for a few minutes a few times a day. If not, go to a local piercing studio (yes, piercing studio) and pick up a bag of sea salt, or H2ocean mouth rinse and use that.

I don’t have any info on healing cold sores, or canker sores, but sea salt can be purchased at any local supermarket.

Just gargle with diluted hydrogen peroxide.

You may only be able to sooth the canker sore itself, but if you can stop what is causing them then you are in business.

If lysine helps your cold sores good, it helps mine.

Some people get canker sores from the acid in the saliva and stomach irritating any micrscopic cut in the mouth. I’ve found that probiotic supplements like acidopholus or bifidolpholus help there. Worked really well for a colleague of mine. Worked for me. Give it a shot.

Lysine and Acidolpholus are two supps that i’ll never be without.

Whenever I feel a caker sore developing, two or three times a day I will pour salt on it and just let it sit for a minute or so. It will definitely prevent it from betting big and painful, and it usually heals withing a few days.

I read somewhere that eating yogurt will cure canker sores. I assume it has something to do with the live bacteria. I could be wrong. I personally havent had one since I was in my early teens. Maybe the cause is diet related. I would like to know.

Thanks for the replies. I do eat yogurt, take acidopholis and lysine, so no problems there. Maybe it is just too much sugar. I’ve been having some every day since I’m doing Chad’s new program.

I’ll try the saltwater though.

I’d love to know how to cure this stuff also…I have THREE of them in my mouth right now!!!

That sea salt thing is interesting. When I was a kid my mom would have me wash my mouth out with salt water…

I get them so bad that it is difficult to eat or even brush my teeth!

[quote]P-DOG wrote:
That sea salt thing is interesting. When I was a kid my mom would have me wash my mouth out with salt water…
[/quote]

Table salt doesnt do much, if anything. Sea salt, however, has great healing properties for any cut.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
P-DOG wrote:

Table salt doesnt do much, if anything. Sea salt, however, has great healing properties for any cut.[/quote]

possibly a dumb question but what’s the diff?

I am guessing it has to do with the mineral content being different. Most table salts are iodized because humans are deficient in iodine, sea salt is straight up sea… salt. :slight_smile: