Candito Program and Overhead Press

Hey guys!
i want start Candito program,but
I do not want to give up on the over head press (heavy sets with low reps, until 5-6 reps works the best for me), I want to do push press when high reps, and when bench press one set to the maximum (do instead the bench press 1 set for max, do 3X5 or 3X6 over head press), or start linear program with control days, and download on one set of 1X6 shoulders, and download one set of shoulders 1X10 and make a day of heavy presses (3X5, 3X6 or some other heavy work).
thanks!

Does the Candito program have a system for modifying it? Because it sounds to me like you want to make up your own program, perhaps with inspiration from the Candito program.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
Does the Candito program have a system for modifying it? Because it sounds to me like you want to make up your own program, perhaps with inspiration from the Candito program. [/quote]
No,but everyone know what works better for him, for my shoulders its heavy over head press, maybe try other program?(tried 5/3/1, not so good for presses…).
Thanks.

Why do you need to be better at overhead pressing?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Why do you need to be better at overhead pressing?[/quote]
For overall strength, shoulder strength and more…

[quote]Los-angeles wrote:

For overall strength, shoulder strength and more…[/quote]

I may be confused because you picked this sub-forum, but is your goal to be a better powerlifter? If so, if the program improves your powerlifts, I would say it’s a victory, even if your shoulder strength declines. If your goal isn’t an improved powerlifting total, and is specifically improved overhead, consider either the strongman or bigger, stronger leaner sub-forum.

I may be confused because you picked this sub-forum, but is your goal to be a better powerlifter? If so, if the program improves your powerlifts, I would say it’s a victory, even if your shoulder strength declines. If your goal isn’t an improved powerlifting total, and is specifically improved overhead, consider either the strongman or bigger, stronger leaner sub-forum.[/quote]

So you’re saying that if your “powerlifts” get stronger, you become a better “powerlifter”?

MIND BLOWN

[quote]frankjl wrote:

I may be confused because you picked this sub-forum, but is your goal to be a better powerlifter? If so, if the program improves your powerlifts, I would say it’s a victory, even if your shoulder strength declines. If your goal isn’t an improved powerlifting total, and is specifically improved overhead, consider either the strongman or bigger, stronger leaner sub-forum.[/quote]

So you’re saying that if your “powerlifts” get stronger, you become a better “powerlifter”?

MIND BLOWN[/quote]

Is this real life?

[quote]trivium wrote:
Is this the real life?[/quote]
Is this just fantasy?

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
Is this the real life?[/quote]
Is this just fantasy?
[/quote]

I like where this is headed.

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Caught in a landslide,no escape from reality.[/quote]

Fixed it for ya!

I would never dissuade someone from overhead pressing regardless if their only goal was to be a better powerlifter. Shoulder strength and balance still matters. Not all powerlifters do overhead work, but most of the best did. There’s no reason to exclude it from a program based on some kind of purist powerlifter rhetoric.

[quote]csulli wrote:

I would never dissuade someone from overhead pressing regardless if their only goal was to be a better powerlifter. Shoulder strength and balance still matters. Not all powerlifters do overhead work, but most of the best did. There’s no reason to exclude it from a program based on some kind of purist powerlifter rhetoric.[/quote]

I agree with you, as long as the bench also went up. Things should not be included or excluded based of rhetoric in any situation, only utility.

I wonder if lifts can be graded on importance. Most programs I see stress certain lifts over others. I think it usually ends up being similar to the following:

Tier 1 exercises are squat, bench, deadlift. These are the priorities for powerlifting.

Tier 2 exercises are overhead press, rows, pull ups, and dips. These are just as important as tier 1 lifts, but should not be done at the expense of the tier 1 lifts.

Tier 3 exercises are things that build weak points. These are a variation of the tier 1 lift. These are things like front squats, stiff legs, close grip bench press, etc…

Tier 4 exercises are face pulls, curls, tricep work, shrugs, leg curls, dumbbell real lateral raise, etc…

Tier 5 is GPP.

So as per programs I have tried to break down…tier 1 lifts are ALWAYS PRESENT AND STRESSED. Tier 2 lifts should not be neglected, however they are not the main focus of the workouts, and should not impair recovery. Tier 3 lifts may be done to correct imbalances and must have carryover to a tier 1 lift, but they are not necessary if you have no imbalances and your form is perfect. Tier 4 lifts are mainly to fill out your frame, and in theory to promote injury prevention. Tier 5 is GPP.

[quote]trivium wrote:
I wonder if lifts can be graded on importance. Most programs I see stress certain lifts over others. I think it usually ends up being similar to the following:

Tier 1 exercises are squat, bench, deadlift. These are the priorities for powerlifting.

Tier 2 exercises are overhead press, rows, pull ups, and dips. These are just as important as tier 1 lifts, but should not be done at the expense of the tier 1 lifts.

Tier 3 exercises are things that build weak points. These are a variation of the tier 1 lift. These are things like front squats, stiff legs, close grip bench press, etc…

Tier 4 exercises are face pulls, curls, tricep work, shrugs, leg curls, dumbbell real lateral raise, etc…

Tier 5 is GPP.

So as per programs I have tried to break down…tier 1 lifts are ALWAYS PRESENT AND STRESSED. Tier 2 lifts should not be neglected, however they are not the main focus of the workouts, and should not impair recovery. Tier 3 lifts may be done to correct imbalances and must have carryover to a tier 1 lift, but they are not necessary if you have no imbalances and your form is perfect. Tier 4 lifts are mainly to fill out your frame, and in theory to promote injury prevention. Tier 5 is GPP.[/quote]

It’s funny, because I rarely ever squat, bench or deadlift in order to get better at the powerlifts. I don’t find them very useful for strength building, only strength measuring. My primary lifts are all partial versions of these lifts, many without a starting eccentric.

If I were to classify things, it would be 2 tiers.

Tier 1 would be lifts that make your goal lifts increase, and tier 2 would be lifts that don’t.

Candito seems to know his stuff based on what i’ve seen, so i would run the program the way its written for atleast the first cycle